Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod collar for Magic Drainpipe?

tin.risky
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2008 15:58 |  #1

I'm picking up a copy of the 80-200 f/2.8L soon, but it doesn't come with the tripod collar. Anyone know what model tripod collar it uses and where I can get one?

sponsored links
bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 03, 2008 16:15 |  #2

tin.risky wrote in post #6806875 (external link)
I'm picking up a copy of the 80-200 f/2.8L soon, but it doesn't come with the tripod collar. Anyone know what model tripod collar it uses and where I can get one?

you can pick them up on B&H, calumetphoto, and adorama online. just search "canon tripod collar" and check your results for the correct one. you might not like the price...

I've seen much more affordable third party collars available on ebay. I have no idea what they're like or how good they are though.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 03, 2008 16:34 |  #3

It's the same one (barring colour in some cases) as is used on both 70-200 f/4 L lenses, the 200mm f/2.8 L, the 300mm f/4 L (non-IS version only) and 400mm f/5.6 L. It's known as the Canon Tripod Ring A.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

tin.risky
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2008 20:34 |  #4

Great, thanks. That's exactly the information I was looking for. I did find the ones on B&H, and no, I didn't like the price :(. I'll take a look on ebay for one. Anyone have any experience with ebay tripod collars?

mahoro
196 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 03, 2008 20:59 |  #5

DX extreme has it for $20 w/ shipping.

I ordered one for my Pipe, but it is out of stock...............
Waited for weeks and the status still show as awaiting supplier...

XSI , 18-55IS, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, , EF-S 60mm, 80-200F2.8L, Sigma 400mm APO F/5.6, 550EX, Velbon 5300 CF Tripod

tin.risky
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 03, 2008 21:06 |  #6

Is this the one mahoro?

http://www.dealextreme​.com/details.dx/sku.12​220 (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,847 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 03, 2008 23:39 |  #7

I had the pipe and it was a dream. I wasn't very good without IS and I was concerned about servicing. It felt really nice to hold... a great weight, in my opinion. I don't know about others, but I really liked the way it handled colors. Strange you're getting it without a collar, because I've not seen any without one.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 03, 2008 23:50 |  #8

Where, may I ask?

I checked eBay and Craigslist and found nothing. eBay had some tripod collars.

I also find it funny that they released an 80-200 f/4-5.6. I'm guessing it was the first consumer EF telephoto at the time, but I'm just so used to knowing that the consumer lenses get 100mm more reach that I have to give up when I upgrade to the professional 2.8 lenses.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

tin.risky
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 04, 2008 00:21 |  #9

The tripod collars I found on ebay were all white. I found a black one that I linked to in my last post, but I'm not sure of the quality.

Most of the ones I see for sale come with the collar, but the seller said he bought it secondhand and it didn't come with one when he bought it. It comes with a kenko 2x extender though, so it's still a decent deal since the lens itself is in excellent shape.

FelixP
516 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 04, 2008 02:30 as a reply to  @ tin.risky's post |  #10

Mine doesn't have the collar either and Canon Tripod Ring A is TOO BIG.

1N HS - 1D MKII - 16-35 2.8L II - 50 1.4 - 80-200 2.8L - 550EX - 430EX

mahoro
196 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 04, 2008 05:26 |  #11

yeap, that's the collar I bought.

Still awaiting supplier :(

btw: how much you paid for you pipe ?

XSI , 18-55IS, Sigma 30mm F/1.4, , EF-S 60mm, 80-200F2.8L, Sigma 400mm APO F/5.6, 550EX, Velbon 5300 CF Tripod

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Dec 04, 2008 06:08 |  #12

FelixP wrote in post #6810083 (external link)
Mine doesn't have the collar either and Canon Tripod Ring A is TOO BIG.

???

Tripod Ring B is too big - Tripod Ring A should be the correct one.

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

tin.risky
THREAD ­ STARTER
806 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 04, 2008 13:04 |  #13

mahoro wrote in post #6810459 (external link)
yeap, that's the collar I bought.

Still awaiting supplier :(

btw: how much you paid for you pipe ?

Let me know when you get it. I might pick it up too since it's one of the only black ones I can find that doesn't cost over $100 :(.

The seller put it up on ebay for me so I could get the cashback. After cashback it came out to $625 shipped. It's a pretty good deal imo, since the lens itself is in excellent shape (no scratches, dings, always had a uv filter on), and it comes with the kenko 2x extender (also in excellent shape), the uv filter, and of course the front and back caps.

sponsored links

1,664 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod collar for Magic Drainpipe?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.