Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 04 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 20:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Digital video basics

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 10, 2008 15:51 |  #16

watchtherocks wrote in post #6815141 (external link)
Ive got a 500mm f/4.5 I would like to be able to stick onto the camera, but since most (all affordable??) cameras have large crop factors it would almost become useless.

Why would it become useless?

sponsored links
watchtherocks
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 11, 2008 17:09 |  #17

Because I would be stuck with a focal length of about 4500mm. I never need more than about 1000.

Anyone know anything anywhere anymore?

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 11, 2008 17:19 |  #18

watchtherocks wrote in post #6860046 (external link)
Because I would be stuck with a focal length of about 4500mm. I never need more than about 1000.

4500mm??? How on earth do you figure that? A 500mm lens on a Canon crop camera has the FOV of an 800mm lens on a FF camera. I think you've got your factors mixed up. You multiply the FL of the lens by, in Canon's case, 1.6. So 1.6x500=800.

watchtherocks
THREAD ­ STARTER
579 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 14, 2008 01:39 |  #19

I thought it was about 7x for video cameras?

Anyone know anything anywhere anymore?

Zepher
Goldmember
1,626 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 21, 2008 17:11 |  #20

osv wrote in post #6838684 (external link)
how about, rather than spending 10 hours ingesting, you could just plug a firestore into your editing system, and start working right away... or plug cheap sd cards into your system, and start working right away.

We had problems with AVCHD files on our workstations. Premiere CS3 and Premiere 6.5 don't work with those files.
They had to be captured analog on the 6.5 machine since it was much faster to capture than transcode on that machine.
Specs on that machine are P4 2.0ghz 512megs of Ram, 200Gigs, Matrox RTX.100 card, edits Long format SD perfectly.

Our other machine is a Core2Duo machine, 2GB Ram, 1.25TB, Matrox RT.X2, LG Blu-Ray Burner, Premiere CS3.

I do like the ability to edit right away with flash based devices but it doesn't work for us unless we upgrade to CS4.

Tapes do give us an instant hard copy to store right away.
50GB Blu Ray is still pricey, about $35/disc.

Manny Desantos
Intel C2Q Q6600 3.06Ghz, 8GB Ram, 8.1TB, XFX HD5850, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, PS CS4 EXT (external link)

Canon 40D, EF 28-70L, 2x Canon XH-A1 HDV, Canon HV30 HDV
❶_______________

osv
161 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 23, 2008 19:20 |  #21

premiere 6.5?? holy cow, that ancient software brings back less than fond memories, lol... all that editor will handle is standard definition, and the firestore will record in sd, so those two will work together, you'll be able to edit immediately without any capturing.

same with cs3, if you shoot in sd... if you shoot in hi-def avchd, you can edit with cs3 if you transcode it to an intermediate format first... i have a 6750 core2duo, and that's how i do it, with the canopus hq codec... the files are about 7x larger, but there is enough cpu horsepower that they will play back smoothly inthe timeline.

if you aren't ready to update to cs4, there are some transcoding alternatives for less money, $100 or so?: http://blogs.adobe.com …vc_hd_revisited​.html#more (external link)

i'm thinking that if you had cs4, you could transcode, because your core2duo may not have the horsepower to work with avchd, even if cs4 supports it... you could even transcode from hd to sd, and put the transcoded sd files on the premiere 6.5 machine, to edit there.

Media Technology, Cameras & Photos (external link)

sponsored links

2,827 views & 0 likes for this thread
Digital video basics
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.