Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 05 Dec 2008 (Friday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time basketball

nhbeast
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 05, 2008 11:19 |  #1

First time I shot basketball, our local school's 7th - 8th grade team.
Shot at 1600 f/2.8, which really was probably not fast enough. Next time I will see about using flash in that gym.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
jdlloyd67
I'm a POTN-aholic!
1,565 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 05, 2008 15:38 |  #2

Nice shots!

I failed miserably at my first attempt at shooting an indoor basketball game over the the Thanskgiving holiday. I used my 70-200 F/4L with a Speedlight flash and still was unable to really capture any decent shots. Certainly nothing as good as the two you have above.

I learned a valuable lesson about the speed of a lens after this experience.

- Dave -
7D | 40D | Canon 24-105 ƒ/4L | Canon 70-200mm ƒ/4L | Canon EF-s 60mm ƒ/2.8 | Tamron 28-75mm ƒ/2.8

DL Digital Images (external link) | Facebook (external link)

tjketa
367 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 05, 2008 16:20 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Knee pads for basketball - yikes! Nice shots for what you had to work with.

Tom

Gear: 7D, 5D Mk II, 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/4L IS

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 05, 2008 18:17 |  #4

I like the shots, but knee pads suggest that alot of fouling is happening. And it looks like the benched players all have need pads. Either there was a "knee" accident or the coach's brother-in-law got the knee-pad contract. :)

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

HighPixel
Goldmember
2,061 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 05, 2008 20:01 |  #5

Great images for a first timer! Indoor sports are a whole different beast.
Good Job!
HP

No longer actively shooting...
Canon EOS-1DMk.III
| Canon EOS-5DMk.II / BG-E6 | Canon 70-200 2.8LIS Mk.II | 24-70 2.8L | 16-35 2.8LII | Just all kinds of crap...|RonBaltazar.com (external link)

nhbeast
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 06, 2008 13:39 as a reply to  @ HighPixel's post |  #6

Thanks everyone! I'll try again next home game.

Not sure what is up with all the knee pads.. there weren't really many fouls called. But travelling.. YIKES at least 10 times!:D

-Gregg
===============
7D /50D/Canon 24-70 2.8L / 70-200 2.8L /300mm f/4/ Kenko 1.4x extender/ Tamron 17-50 2.8 Gallery (external link)

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2008 13:58 |  #7

tjketa wrote in post #6820792 (external link)
Knee pads for basketball - yikes! Nice shots for what you had to work with.

Tom

Agree, not bad given the conditions. I am going to assume the knee pads with this group are inspired by the same "protect my precious baby" mentality that now has softball infielders wearing facemasks and soccer players wearing mouthpieces.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,876 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2008 14:33 |  #8

Big K wrote in post #6825489 (external link)
Agree, not bad given the conditions. I am going to assume the knee pads with this group are inspired by the same "protect my precious baby" mentality that now has softball infielders wearing facemasks and soccer players wearing mouthpieces.

lol! you mean the participation trophy crowd, right?

definitely try some flash (which isn't always easy either). I think you'll find the results to be worth it though.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 06, 2008 16:07 |  #9

namasste wrote in post #6825660 (external link)
lol! you mean the participation trophy crowd, right?

Exactly. You must have them in Ohio as well. :-)

Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List

laurap33
74 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 07, 2008 01:22 |  #10

Big K wrote in post #6825489 (external link)

I think that the facemasks for the infielders are a great thing. I coach a team locally and I have a girl that is so aggressive that she has to wear one. She will be literally waiting at the bat when a bunt is shown to catch it. I have seen that turn into a slap hit and knock the defense out cold.

Great shots for the first time out!

Some Equipment, little knowledge, learning... Priceless.

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 07, 2008 09:05 |  #11

laurap33 wrote in post #6828397 (external link)
I think that the facemasks for the infielders are a great thing. I coach a team locally and I have a girl that is so aggressive that she has to wear one. She will be literally waiting at the bat when a bunt is shown to catch it. I have seen that turn into a slap hit and knock the defense out cold.

I think that is a prime example of using equipment to gain an unfair advantage and is not in the spirit of the game. Your statement totally confirms this. The only reason she is able to play that style is because of the facemask.

Gear List

laurap33
74 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 08, 2008 00:37 |  #12

Big K wrote in post #6829562 (external link)
I think that is a prime example of using equipment to gain an unfair advantage and is not in the spirit of the game. Your statement totally confirms this. The only reason she is able to play that style is because of the facemask.

I beg to differ. She played like this for 2 years before she started wearing it. Her parent opted to place her in it due to her agressiveness.

To each their own I suppose. I would have never thought of putting a girl in on for an unfair advantage for the team. My mentallity is because they protect the face for a just in case. I still have girls who wear them that won't get close enough to the batter for the play no matter how much I try to convince them otherwise. :rolleyes:

Some Equipment, little knowledge, learning... Priceless.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,636 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 08, 2008 06:44 as a reply to  @ laurap33's post |  #13

Very, very good first effort. 1/400 sec at 2.8 and 1600 has done well for you. The colors are really nice. Yes, a little faster shutter speed would be helpful. Can you still get those nice colors shooting manual at 1/500 (or even 1/640) without generating too much noise from boosting exposure in post processing?

I'd give it a try.

Other options are a faster lens like the 85 f/1.8 which is very popular. You could get 1/640 if you shot it at f/2.2 Supplemental lighting is another choice.

Next time, try to get some shots from the baseline (if possible). Good action and often the shooters will face you.

Your efforts under ambient lighting are super. Show us more next week.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

nhbeast
THREAD ­ STARTER
215 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 21:04 |  #14

Zivnuska wrote in post #6835689 (external link)
Very, very good first effort. 1/400 sec at 2.8 and 1600 has done well for you. The colors are really nice. Yes, a little faster shutter speed would be helpful. Can you still get those nice colors shooting manual at 1/500 (or even 1/640) without generating too much noise from boosting exposure in post processing?

I'd give it a try.

Other options are a faster lens like the 85 f/1.8 which is very popular. You could get 1/640 if you shot it at f/2.2 Supplemental lighting is another choice.

Next time, try to get some shots from the baseline (if possible). Good action and often the shooters will face you.

Your efforts under ambient lighting are super. Show us more next week.

Thanks for the tips! I do own the 85 1.8, I'll give it a try at the next game. Baselines are tight in this gym, but I'll try and get there for a few shots as well.

-Gregg
===============

Keltab
908 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 09, 2008 16:17 |  #15

Nice shots! I agree the 85 1.8 will make it a bit easier to get brighter exposures in that gym... I love my 85!

As for the knee pads, I learned that kids that age have problems with knee injuries - as much from knocking knees together as falling. The growth plates are still "green" and easily damaged. Maybe they have a parent that expects them to be worn? It does make the game a little different though...

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

sponsored links

1,855 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time basketball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.