Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 07 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 04:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wildlife and Bird Photographer Bares All

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 07, 2008 04:59 |  #1

Great site here, and he uses all Canon gear:

http://www.ophrysphoto​graphy.co.uk/pages/tip​sandtutorials.htm (external link)

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

sponsored links
The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 08, 2008 14:24 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

that is some awesome photography

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 11, 2008 04:44 |  #3

I used that site for reference to the Seals at Donna Nook..

Invaluable information - to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Pics from the day:
http://www.smugmug.com …995_nudWU#41888​7612_GegBQ (external link)

Gear

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 11, 2008 04:58 |  #4

AdamJL wrote in post #6856319 (external link)
I used that site for reference to the Seals at Donna Nook..

Invaluable information - to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Pics from the day:
http://www.smugmug.com …995_nudWU#41888​7612_GegBQ (external link)

Marvelous work. Thanks for sharing!!

On the site linked by the OP, there is a large Think Tank bag (Glass Taxi?) shown holding the authors 500 f/4. Would anyone happen to know if that particular bag can carry additional lenses or will it only hold body + large prime?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 11, 2008 06:00 |  #5

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6856352 (external link)

On the site linked by the OP, there is a large Think Tank bag (Glass Taxi?) shown holding the authors 500 f/4. Would anyone happen to know if that particular bag can carry additional lenses or will it only hold body + large prime?

It really is designed just for the one lens inside the case. However, you can attach other cases (either ThinkTank's own or LowePro Sliplok) to the outside. That would allow you to carry two or three other lenses.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 11, 2008 11:27 |  #6

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6856352 (external link)

Many thanks :)

Gear

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 11, 2008 11:31 |  #7

Wow, there are some beautiful shots on that site. Good link.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 13, 2008 16:41 |  #8

Anke wrote in post #6858024 (external link)
Wow, there are some beautiful shots on that site. Good link.

Hi Anke - I often visit his site for inspiration as much as anything. I like his approach to what I find pretty complicated and there's no bullcrap. He has a nice IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU!! attitude.

I like Adam's seal pics too. Are these cropped much or did you push your luck and get right in there?

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2008 04:23 |  #9

Hi Scrumpy.

Cropped to remove dead space at the bottom, but I was at least 2-3 meters away from most seals... pretty close.

Trick is to crawl to them very slowly. Let them get used to your precence. Of course, not all seals will adjust, and one of them kept charging me, so try and pick out the docile ones first!

Gear

scrumpy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 14, 2008 05:38 |  #10

AdamJL wrote in post #6875052 (external link)
Hi Scrumpy.

Cropped to remove dead space at the bottom, but I was at least 2-3 meters away from most seals... pretty close.

Trick is to crawl to them very slowly. Let them get used to your presence. Of course, not all seals will adjust, and one of them kept charging me, so try and pick out the docile ones first!

Easier said than done I'm sure :D

camerageorge
292 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 20, 2009 06:13 |  #11

Thanks for sharing!

www.georgelowther.co.u​k (external link) :) - Please view and give me feedback on my website!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 20, 2009 15:23 |  #12

This link here will take you to his "full frame vs crop frame for telephoto work" test. Very good explanations of a topic which is very often incorrectly understood.
http://www.ophrysphoto​graphy.co.uk …orialfullframea​ndcrop.htm (external link)

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2009 10:11 |  #13

:)Thanks for the link..what a wonderful site,,Thanks Ron;)

sponsored links

3,066 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wildlife and Bird Photographer Bares All
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.