Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Dec 2008 (Monday) 08:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens problems (Sigma 24-60) Post your problems here!

Medic85
I just quoted Forrest Gump!
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:11 |  #1

I've noticed that the archive threads have been overloaded with more discussion about the problems people have with a lens than what the archive was meant for...posting images taken with the lens.

I'm sure a mod can help me with this but we should start a thread addressing the problems with a particular lens in this forum instead of having to flip through several pages of people complaining about problems with a lens in order to view sample images. I guess this can be the start for it but I don't know about how well it would work having a complaint/problem thread for each lens listed in the archive.

The one archive I see a lot of this is in the Sigma 24-60 thread. I own this lens, second copy, and I haven't had a problem that I can find yet. There are, however, a lot of others who seem to have had some problems to some extent.

With all that said, for those of you who like this idea, post away with your complaints, problems, experiences with service centers...etc. :)

sponsored links
KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 08, 2008 08:13 |  #2

why not ask a mod to split the other thread into 2 threads.

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:15 |  #3

Good point. That's why I said that I'm sure a mod can help me out with this one;)

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 08, 2008 08:17 |  #4

Medic85 wrote in post #6836024 (external link)
Good point. That's why I said that I'm sure a mod can help me out with this one;)

I know but sometimes a PM is better than a new thread ;)

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2008 08:21 |  #5

This thread would be good to have a poll. For the record though, I bought one of these new and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:30 |  #6

adam8080 wrote in post #6836053 (external link)
This thread would be good to have a poll. For the record though, I bought one of these new and I haven't had a single problem with it.

Me neither...can I still add a poll once it's been started?

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:31 |  #7

BTW, I have asked a mod to split/add this to the sigma thread.

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 08, 2008 08:37 |  #8

Medic85 wrote in post #6836088 (external link)
Me neither...can I still add a poll once it's been started?

I'm not sure. Try editing the original post in advanced mode.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:38 |  #9

Nah, didn't work.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2008 08:40 |  #10

I guess we need a separate thread for every other lens' problems too.

Never mind that there are already a million different threads **** about 50 different lenses & that most of the time it's user error and/or unrealistic expectations.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:43 |  #11

Thanks for your input, I guess my initiative isn't appreciated by some.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2008 08:45 |  #12

I don't see why an archive thread can't serve a dual-purpose...taking the good with the bad.

If you're really interested in a lens, I'd think you'd want to know pros and cons, not just pros. Finding it one place? I think that's great. Having fresh threads just for problems will make every single optic seem like trash.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Medic85
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,018 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 08, 2008 08:50 |  #13

I don't disagree completely but I believe that an image archive is for sample images taken by us for others that are interested in the lens to view. More often than not, these archives get clogged with discussion on how their copy front/back focuses and crap like that.

My suggestion is to keep the archives for what they are intended for, sample images. If there are problems with a particular lens, have a separate area for folks to discuss the issues.

I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about...I still view sample threads of lenses I've owned or own because I like to see what others can do with the lens. Since I don't have a problem with the particular lens, I don't want to flip through 3-4 pages just to find another sample image. I just thought this idea would be useful.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 08, 2008 09:25 as a reply to  @ Medic85's post |  #14

There are several valid points about the archive threads.

Initially the threads were created for people to share their images in a common place for easy reference. Along the way we expected that discussion would take place about the lens. In most cases the discussion was short loved and the pictures resumed. Occasionally we run across a lens that has more discussion than images. In these cases it may be beneficial to discuss the "issues" in a separate thread if it dominates. This will not happen with all lenses as we already know.

So in this case the Sigma 24-60 has a lot of discussion about focusing issues and this is detracting from the amount of images in the thread. I see no problem with discussing these issues in this thread.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

Jason ­ C
do I need to submit a resume...?
4,852 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 14, 2008 10:59 |  #15

This was my Sigma 24-60 experience.

Let me add that the 24-60 works better on my 10D, and I plan on keeping it.

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

sponsored links

2,120 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens problems (Sigma 24-60) Post your problems here!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.