Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 08 Dec 2008 (Monday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Christmas Card Photo

B-H-P
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 08, 2008 12:58 |  #1

Here is a photo I took of a 6 month old boy for the holidays....still working on editing the photos for the client. Just wondered what you think of this one. Thanks.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3123/3092669767_994ab7425a_o.jpg

Brian
Gear List

sponsored links
wallybud
Taking the "Walk of Shame"
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2008 14:32 |  #2

Did you use blurr in CS3 to paint over the arms?

-Walt-
Life is good. Do What You Like. Like What You Do.
GEAR LIST
Take | In | Life Photography (external link)

B-H-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 08, 2008 14:37 as a reply to  @ wallybud's post |  #3

I have CS2...I just duplicated the background layer, applied a lens blur to it. Then made a layer mask to remove the blur from the face.

Brian
Gear List

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2008 14:39 |  #4

What lens did you use...why not use the 1.8 at or around 2.0 to get that blue you wanted? I think to the client maybe the blur would not be noticeable as much, or it could bother them as it looks a little unnatural. Also you never know who has a photog in the family ;)

post the original...

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

B-H-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 08, 2008 14:58 as a reply to  @ wallybud's post |  #5

Well, maybe what I need to so is lessen the blur some. I was kind of thinking it was a little too much myself.

I shot it with my 24-70 f2.8. I could have shot it with my 85 at f 1.8 and achieved a more natural blur. I suppose it is a habit for me when in the studio (my basement studio) to shoot kids at a higher f-stop. I want their eyes to by in sharp focus, and since kids never stay still, I have got in the habit of shooting around f8-f11.

Brian
Gear List

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2008 15:01 |  #6

f8 f11! wow lol...wel you can do it in CS3 but use three different brushes to create a gradual blur instead of one solid blur...

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

heathermarie
501 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 08, 2008 18:33 |  #7

The only thing I would blur post processing in this photo is his back leg... great photo :)

Heather

Aeth
295 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 08, 2008 18:47 |  #8

heathermarie wrote in post #6839681 (external link)
The only thing I would blur post processing in this photo is his back leg... great photo :)

Yeah, the blur seems more unnatural than anything else. I do like the focus of the face, but overall it seems a little too surreal.

Sony RX100M2

B-H-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 08, 2008 20:12 as a reply to  @ heathermarie's post |  #9

Okay. I know agree with everyone else that the blur is a bit too much. So here is a quick edit with just the leg blurred as suggested by heathermarie. Is this one better?

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/3094484724_16f27fdfd3_o.jpg

Brian
Gear List

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 08, 2008 20:58 |  #10

MUCH :)

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

B-H-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 09, 2008 07:39 |  #11

wallybud wrote in post #6840536 (external link)
MUCH :)

Thanks

Brian
Gear List

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,998 posts
Gallery: 199 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 09, 2008 07:50 |  #12

The second shot is tops, georgeous little man :)

Panasonic Lumix G9 and some lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 09, 2008 09:25 |  #13

2nd is the winner. Great job!

Andrew
gear list

tkoutdoor
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 09, 2008 09:42 |  #14

B-H-P wrote in post #6840268 (external link)
Okay. I know agree with everyone else that the blur is a bit too much. So here is a quick edit with just the leg blurred as suggested by heathermarie. Is this one better?

QUOTED IMAGE

Yeah the blur looks natural now. Couple other things I've noticed. The top edge of the hat. Not sure if work has been done there or not, but it doesn't have the same texture as the other areas. It could be that your reds are oversaturating as well and you may have a big blob of red in the middle of the photo that looks more or less the same without detail if you turned up the saturation too much. I've been noticing in my own stuff that reds tend to be a little more of a problem than the rest of the colors with my canon gear. I have had some cases where the red bleeds over into other areas slightly for no reason that I've been able to determine (before processing).

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

B-H-P
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 09, 2008 10:15 |  #15

tkoutdoor wrote in post #6843502 (external link)
Yeah the blur looks natural now. Couple other things I've noticed. The top edge of the hat. Not sure if work has been done there or not, but it doesn't have the same texture as the other areas. It could be that your reds are oversaturating as well and you may have a big blob of red in the middle of the photo that looks more or less the same without detail if you turned up the saturation too much. I've been noticing in my own stuff that reds tend to be a little more of a problem than the rest of the colors with my canon gear. I have had some cases where the red bleeds over into other areas slightly for no reason that I've been able to determine (before processing).

The top edge of the hat did have some work done on it. I used Liquify in CS2 to help reshape the hat. As far as the saturation of the red...I don't remember messing with that. I will have to double check that.

Brian
Gear List

sponsored links

3,064 views & 0 likes for this thread
Christmas Card Photo
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.