Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

andydufresne
25 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2011 23:48 |  #496

I'm new to photography so I have never been paid for any work before. I bought the camera to get into the hobby and didn't really look at it as a source of income. But do have a few questions on if I were to ever get approached to use/purchase one of my photos.

I take pictures when I go out to eat quite often. Eating in Austin, Texas, means alot of hole in the wall and trailer dining. What if a small eatery wants to use one of my pictures for their website? They don't want or are interested in any rights, don't need prints. They just want to use it on their website menu, frontpage or gallery, etc. So I post it on my free Flickr account and let them download it in exchange for meal. No harm done right?

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,654 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 11, 2011 13:41 |  #497

Methodical wrote in post #11943385 (external link)
. . . Question: I do bird photography and a local nature center ask if I was interested in providing prints of my images for consignment. What are your thoughts on this arrangement?[/SIZE][/F​ONT]

I'm an amateur shooter who supports local nature centers so would happily supply the prints either at cost or gratis. If I made all or part of my living from photography I'd look at what's on the wall, ask for sales figures, and make a business decision.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

hurleyboarder11
41 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 20, 2011 15:10 |  #498

Thanks everyone for the informative info/opinions!

zpyder
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2011 09:27 |  #499

Several wildlife centres have used my images for free, the act of getting asked if they could use them has made me realise that maybe I'm getting to the stage where my images have value, and am slowly attempting to make the jump into proper paid work.

rishu_pepper
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2011 22:18 |  #500

Hello all, I was wondering if the seasoned pro's out there can help me out with a pricing estimate.

Recently I responded to an ad on CL looking for a photog shooting some pictures for a band. They responded to my email and I am meeting the leader/manager tomorrow at Starbucks. As far as I gathered from the email correspondence, he wants me to shoot some pictures to promote his band (website and so on). There will be shoots outdoor and indoor. It seems that they also want quite a bit of PP to complement their band's style/theme. The band I believe has 5 people.

How much should I be looking to charge here? Anything I should take into special consideration?

Thanks all.

~My SmugMug~ (external link)
~Gear List and Feedback~

Archer613
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 01, 2011 14:05 |  #501

Wow, I just signed up for this forum and am loving the great advice everyone has to offer. This is great! I just recently decided to start charging for doing some family and friends photos. I see the ups and downs of having not charged them before, turns around to bite ya sometimes.

Amber

Automotive ­ Photography
185 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 04, 2011 11:38 |  #502

rishu_pepper wrote in post #12121273 (external link)
Hello all, I was wondering if the seasoned pro's out there can help me out with a pricing estimate.

Recently I responded to an ad on CL looking for a photog shooting some pictures for a band. They responded to my email and I am meeting the leader/manager tomorrow at Starbucks. As far as I gathered from the email correspondence, he wants me to shoot some pictures to promote his band (website and so on). There will be shoots outdoor and indoor. It seems that they also want quite a bit of PP to complement their band's style/theme. The band I believe has 5 people.

How much should I be looking to charge here? Anything I should take into special consideration?

Thanks all.

Thats a tough one. Bands are usually broke and have no budget to pay for anything. I would say 100 bucks an hour. Say about two hours at a show shooting the band, an hour or two in photoshop, burning the disk, mailing it off etc. You will have at least four hours involved in the shoot. I would say at least 3-4 hundred bucks. Of course if you have to drive long distance, then you have gas and travel expenses to figure.

Bands are cheap. I wouldn't shoot a band with out a contract or guarantee or half payment up front.

Automotive Photography
http://www.automotive-photography.net (external link)
Worst Blog Ever
http://automotive--photography.blogspot.c​om (external link)

atlrus
531 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 10, 2011 15:08 as a reply to  @ Automotive Photography's post |  #503

Of course I wasn't able to read all pages, but judging from the first few all I have to say is:

REALLY? NO, REALLY?

I mean, seasoned pros with years of experience under their belts are afraid from Joe-the-accountant that he takes money from their mouths?!? REALLY? If someone random can walk into BestBuy, spend $1,000 in gear and take over your work, then you my friend are a really bad photographer!

With technology nothing really has changed - the only thing is that now you don't have to spend money on film, but this works both ways - pro photographers don't have to spend money on film either. Do you think anyone lowered their prices to reflect the fact that they don't need to burn through $50 worth of film to capture that one amazing picture? No!

Quality equipment is still expensive. People still need to travel and pay expenses to get to their destination. Time itself is still precious. Skills are still acquired through years of experience.

Photography has always been a very niche profession. People don't take a pro photographer on vacations with them, for example, they just stop by any gas station and pick up a disposable camera or own P&S nowadays.

And don't get me started on how much some portrait studios charge anyways. Packages starting at $1,000?!? Are you insane? I can see the value of, let's say a picture of Nigerian rebels, but $1,000 minimum for a couple hours of light work, most of it ivolving photoshop? Yeah, I said it. I have pictures from Walmart and pictures from a couple of expensive studios and I can tell you that the only difference is that the studio takes time to do more in Photoshop than Walmart's generic cut-and-paste software. That's it.

Now, at the same time, I cannot understand how some noob can devalue the work of a real photographer. No one in their right mind will buy the T2i and take of to Iraq to take pictures and then give them away for free!?! Or walk onto the football field and start snapping pictures of Farve's last touchdown pass...Or walk into any company/magazine and start taking their ad pictures for free. Or spend time and money setting up a nice beach picnic photo just to get $20 back on their $2,000+ investment...

Bottom line is that: yeah, I snapped a great picture of a bow full of cherries, but if I can do it, then it's indeed worth only $0.20, if that much. If you complain about that, it just means that the suckers that would pay $100 for a picture of a bow of cherries are gone, because, obviously, it wasn't worth $100 to begin with.

You know what I would understand? If the real photographer, the one who risked his/her life to take the picture of the rebels, complained that he got paid just as much as the bozo who spent 2 hours photoshoping a pictrue of a kid from the comfort of his air-conditioned studio. Now, that's a real argument!

P.S. And why do you think this forum has so many users, a lot of them pros, who give FREE advice to noobs with BestBuy cameras? I'll tell you why - because it makes them feel good helping people, while also knowing that there is no way in the world I can just up and bankrupt them overnight with my mad photography skills :)

Gear: Sold :cry:

alexdesign
427 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 13, 2011 13:00 |  #504

KennyG wrote in post #440632 (external link)
A friend of mine earned $150,000 from one motorsport picture over three years. It was bought over and over again and he still expects some income from it this year. You just never know when you have that 'golden goose'.

Now that just makes me a sad panda. I had a client from Canada approaching me 12 years ago asking me to design him a logo. Back then I was good designer but not great. The logo I designed for him turned out to be one of the best I've done and it was published in many logo design/corporate identity books. Back then I charged him $250 for it. That's it. He even told me that I was "expensive" now his well known Internet portal in Canada makes him millionaire every year 10 times over and the website still uses my $250 logo :(

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/62731114@N02/ (external link)

baliromavilas
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 22, 2011 06:08 as a reply to  @ post 442473 |  #505

Well how much should you charge is all up to you but you must think about it by person to person

villas (external link)

michellestrozzi
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 26, 2011 18:07 |  #506

New here, first post I've read, and I have got to say THANK YOU! I am an amateur, I know I'm good, but haven't really had the time nor equipment to get started until recently. I figured I would do some shots for some friends for free to build a portfolio. I've only asked one set of friends, so I'll still do that one, give them a cd like I said I would.

I do have a question though...how do you copyright your work? Say I get into this some more, I want to show the client the shots, but don't want them to steal the pics without my name plastered all over the photo?

Michelle Strozzi
Future pro photographer
Currently Boring Housewife

Automotive ­ Photography
185 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 27, 2011 01:08 |  #507

http://www.copyright.g​ov/ (external link)

Automotive Photography
http://www.automotive-photography.net (external link)
Worst Blog Ever
http://automotive--photography.blogspot.c​om (external link)

cwr89
233 posts
Joined May 2009

May 12, 2011 10:24 |  #508

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but, I am quickly approaching my senior year of college, I'm in Film School, and preparing for a hard life of freelancing. Because of this, I have been looking into registering an LLC so that I can actually market myself a bit better. This also opens me up for doing photography and videography on my own not attached to any larger companies. Previously, I have done work at just a flat hourly fee depending on location and equipment. Now that I am getting closer to being in "the real world" I know need to step up and set a firm price. Is there a starting price, like a base price per exposure or do you guys do more packages or what? At this point I am just trying to get things hammered out so I can get pricing down, I often times feel like an idiot when people ask me for pricing and I don't know off the top of my head.

Thanks!
~Casey

Canon 5Diii | EF 24-105L | EF-40 STM | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VIDCII | 2x 580 EX | Canon G5X | 3x ProFoto D1|
2x Panasonic AF100 | Panasonic HVX 300 | 2x Panasonic HVX 2700
FCP7| Premiere CC15 | Avid MC6
Kodak Jiffy | Six-20 Kodak No. 0 | Eastman Kodak No. 3-A | AE1 Manual | AE1 Program | Canon TL | Canon FTb | Ikonta 520/18 | Nikon EM |

stephaniemansueto@gmail.c
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2011

May 13, 2011 10:23 |  #509

FlipsidE wrote in post #440891 (external link)
The shoot I have lined up is for one of my absolute best friend's six week old daughter. This was something I volunteered to shoot, for free, way back when I first started to learn photography. And, while I may do some clean up work, I intend to probably just hand her a CD (preferrably offer a ZIPed or RARed download from my site) with all the shots on it and let her print them as she sees fit.

Since I will do no printing myself, the only money out of pocket for this shoot will be the money it takes to buy gasoline to drive to her place and drive back (probably a 10 minute drive)...that and the money for my time if you go by the "my time is money" saying.

Thing is, I could get some good experience from this and possibly add some photos to my portfolio. On top of that, I could make a good friend happy. I would make sure, though, to tell her that this is a one time thing and that I would not be doing this for free for her friends.

Am I missing the real point by doing this? Or are these types of things generally acceptable?

FlipsidE

Regardless if its free and regardless of it being a friend, make sure they sign a contract. And for the love of god don't allow them to post uncropped photos online and promote it as your work.

eight years ago it was.... bye, bye money. hello photography career.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,836 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2011 12:00 |  #510

I agree. Limit the shots you turn over to them and do some PP before turning over to them. This is your work and you always want your best out there, no matter who the customer.

stephaniemansueto@gmai​l.c wrote in post #12402596 (external link)
Regardless if its free and regardless of it being a friend, make sure they sign a contract. And for the love of god don't allow them to post uncropped photos online and promote it as your work.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

sponsored links

309,182 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.