Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 13, 2011 15:35 |  #511

cwr89 wrote in post #12395804 (external link)
Is there a starting price, like a base price per exposure or do you guys do more packages or what? At this point I am just trying to get things hammered out so I can get pricing down, I often times feel like an idiot when people ask me for pricing and I don't know off the top of my head.

Congrats on taking the 'freelance' plunge right out of university!

The questions you're asking would be answered by doing some market research. The questions you want to answer is - who is your competition, what packages do they offer, and what price do they charge? From there you can figure out where you want to position yourself and your offerings, and come up with a selection of services and prices of your own.

Don't worry about getting it absolutely right the first time - what you do and how much you charge'll be an ongoing evolution over the course of your career.

sponsored links
DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2011 21:56 |  #512

Great points and awesome discussion. I was recently contacted by a really good friend of mine, and she and her mom wanted me to do her senior portraits for this next school year. She asked how much I would charge and I told her that I wouldn't charge if she'd sort of become my "guinea pig".
I personally have my clients order prints through me, so I'm making some money.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

cwr89
233 posts
Joined May 2009

May 15, 2011 12:15 |  #513

@timk519
Thanks for the advice. I'm exploring all the different options right now. And I figure the only real way to protect myself in this business is going to be incorporating, I see scores of my classmates thinking they are going to either walk into a post house and instantly land a job doing exactly what they want, or, becoming disillusioned to the idea that if they want work, they are going to have to actually work hard for it. Its sad to see out of the 200 or so people that graduated this month only like 15% have jobs, and they were the ones that worked for it.
I've been working for about 3 years as a freelance videographer/editor for a company, but I'm looking at the tax benefits of incorporating, I've been a 1099 freelance so 30% goes to the gov't, 50% goes to new gear, and like 20% goes to trying to live. hehe. With this, I'll be able to write a lot more off for tax purposes. (don't worry, I am working with a CPA)

anyway, I will be checking out the local photo spots and seeing what they charge. thanks for the advice!
Thanks!
~Casey

Canon 5Diii | EF 24-105L | EF-40 STM | Tamron 70-200 2.8 VIDCII | 2x 580 EX | Canon G5X | 3x ProFoto D1|
2x Panasonic AF100 | Panasonic HVX 300 | 2x Panasonic HVX 2700
FCP7| Premiere CC15 | Avid MC6
Kodak Jiffy | Six-20 Kodak No. 0 | Eastman Kodak No. 3-A | AE1 Manual | AE1 Program | Canon TL | Canon FTb | Ikonta 520/18 | Nikon EM |

timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 16, 2011 09:43 as a reply to  @ cwr89's post |  #514

one of the best things about incorporating for me was being able to charge high mileage rates for my old beater. :)

Good luck!

mpicmotion
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 20, 2011 14:35 |  #515

How much should I charge for a photo shoot ?

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 21, 2011 08:30 |  #516

mpicmotion wrote in post #12447888 (external link)
How much should I charge for a photo shoot ?

I'm in awe that you were smart enough to (1) navigate to the proper subforum, (2) find the appropriate sticky, and yet still be...challenged...enou​gh to (3) ask that question 35 pages deep into this thread.

And I'm sugarcoating the "challenged" part.

MMieure
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2011

May 24, 2011 16:51 |  #517

charro callado wrote in post #12451695 (external link)
I'm in awe that you were smart enough to (1) navigate to the proper subforum, (2) find the appropriate sticky, and yet still be...challenged...enou​gh to (3) ask that question 35 pages deep into this thread.

And I'm sugarcoating the "challenged" part.

That was not a rude answer at all...

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 24, 2011 19:00 |  #518

MMieure wrote in post #12471775 (external link)
That was not a rude answer at all...

Should I try sarcasm?

see what i did there? ;)

Seriously though, there was really no nice way to say "read the 35 pages you seem to have skipped."

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 25, 2011 17:47 |  #519

Haha I'm sorry but Charro's right. That's about as broad of a question as one could ask. The op took the time to search for the right place to ask the question but didn't take the time to read through the very same thread to see if there was a chance that someone else might have asked a more specific question that's probably close to what they're looking for.

Moving on, I shoot weddings/senior portraits/e-sessions (you get the picture) but I did a photoshoot for a local packaging company in Portland a few months ago and now the owner is asking about me doing portrait shots for his daughters softball team.

I'm more than capable of producing quality images for them but I have no clue what to charge and how to break down prices for them. I usually offer packages for seniors/weddings/famil​ies and I don't know if I should charge a base fee for the group and charge a la carte or offer full on packages. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

ShaneCphoto
84 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 29, 2011 21:10 |  #520

So the other day I was at Whytecliff park in West Vancouver, BC. I was sitting on the rocks when a boat drove by. I just snapped a shot for fun and after uploading it in Lightroom I noticed a West Vancouver Yacht Club logo on the back. I sent in an email to the general manager and he has put me in touch with them and they would like to purchase it. The shot is damn sharp (taken with a 70-200 F4 IS) and you can easily make out them and their dogs taking in the sights. Keep in mind that i'm 17 so they may expect to pay less than to an adult (bull****) but they also have a yacht and live in one of the most expensive areas in Canada.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3446/5773820153_e567d43853_z.jpg

50D+20D Helios 44M-2 (58/2.0) /Sigma 30 1.4 /Pentax SMC takumar 50 1.4 /Nifty Fifty/ tokina 10-17 f3.5-4.6/ 70-200 f/4 L IS

RobBuck
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 02, 2011 20:07 |  #521

I really need to spend more time on this forum, you folks are extremely helpful! It just so happens that I have been asked, by a local bank, to purchase one of my shots. Regrettably, I have given so many away I really have no idea what to charge. (I was a novice turned semi-pro and just to get my name out there, I donated much of my time and photos to charities - now it's time to make some $$!)
I came across the site: http://photographersin​dex.com/stockprice.htm (external link)
Does anyone know if this is accurate and legit? The prices seem about right, but then again, I can not compare. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

rnb2
50 posts
Joined May 2008

Jun 15, 2011 00:02 as a reply to  @ RobBuck's post |  #522

I've been shooting freelance online ad photos of local businesses for a newspaper chain for the past couple months. One of the clients asked me to shoot some headshots of the staff (about 10 people, no elaborate setups - just sat in a chair in the boss's office) during my shooting for the web ads, which is fine. They want these for the company website, and there's no problem with me selling them the images - I did the usual PP on the shots, and they look pretty good.

However, I have no idea how much to charge them. All of the calculators I've tried suggest charging a LOT more than I think I can get away with, but I don't want to low-ball the price, either. This would be in the Hartford, CT area, if that helps with any suggestions. This would be my first sale outside of the work I'm doing for the papers.

Thanks for any suggestions on this.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, Canon 10-22mm EF-S, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 85mm f/1.2L II, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, Canon 135mm f/2L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS, Canon 1.4x II

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 15, 2011 01:03 |  #523

Me: Newbie who gets lucky sometimes
Them: Parents of Tball kids

Item: Free dvd (.mov) of pictures
Price Request: jpeg files/4x6/5x7 etc

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 18, 2011 10:53 |  #524

cwr89 wrote in post #12413572 (external link)
@timk519
Thanks for the advice. I'm exploring all the different options right now. And I figure the only real way to protect myself in this business is going to be incorporating, I see scores of my classmates thinking they are going to either walk into a post house and instantly land a job doing exactly what they want, or, becoming disillusioned to the idea that if they want work, they are going to have to actually work hard for it. Its sad to see out of the 200 or so people that graduated this month only like 15% have jobs, and they were the ones that worked for it.
I've been working for about 3 years as a freelance videographer/editor for a company, but I'm looking at the tax benefits of incorporating, I've been a 1099 freelance so 30% goes to the gov't, 50% goes to new gear, and like 20% goes to trying to live. hehe. With this, I'll be able to write a lot more off for tax purposes. (don't worry, I am working with a CPA)

anyway, I will be checking out the local photo spots and seeing what they charge. thanks for the advice!
Thanks!
~Casey

I'm a cpa and I can ya that there are no additional tax benefits in being an LLC or S corp over a sole proprietor. Same deductions, same credits. The only advantage to being an S corp is that you can take some money out of the company without paying payroll taxes, but this is offset by the requirement for many additional tax returns each year (your cpa will love you for it) and more state fees and admin hassels. Unless you are in six digits or approaching six digits, I see no advantage to being an S corporation. A C corp? Nope. Double taxation, that's why we have S corps. I have startups coming in my office all the time wanting the add'l write offs they can get with a corp. I ask what they are talking about and they always say, 'well, so and so said corps get all the breaks.' Nope. Oops. I did this for free.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

svarley
592 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2011 14:36 |  #525

Seamus69 wrote in post #12615226 (external link)
Nope. Oops. I did this for free.

bw!

LLCs also pay LLC "taxes" on gross revenue, not profit, in addition to any other income taxes you incur. I can't tell you how many different ways California socked it to me as my business was failing (not photography related and closing it down at the end of this month, woo hoo!)

Theoretically, you have some liability protections if you incorporate.

I also get a kick out of people telling me something I give them from my business for some sort of charity event is "tax deductible"... Good grief.

sponsored links

309,180 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.