Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

dougy_8505
187 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 29, 2011 14:01 |  #541
bannedPermanent ban

They do pretty well for themselfs.. if you get 3 teams at 80 per thats 240. plus every photog. takes extra pics that they sale on the side.

so if teams A,B,and C hire me and they only play 8 games in 2 days, but i take 2000 pictures of other teams and players and sell those on the side. i could make anywhere from 240- 5000 in 2 days of work. Most of those guys use teams abc to pay for there travel expences..

Bodies: Sony A6000, T3i and Xti(needs repairs, but use in manual)
Lenes: Sony 16-50(kit), Canon 50 F1.8, Sigma 24-70 F2.8-4, Canon 70-210 F4, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 75-300, and Canon 18-55(auto focus is broken so I use it on the Xti)
Flash: 430ex

sponsored links
shebee
161 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 13, 2011 12:12 |  #542

Hey.
I read the first few pages but I couldn't figure, whether the initial post suggests to sell photos on these internet micro agencies like PhotoStockPlus (I believe is one) or whether you should not.
Just to clarify, I am in no way a professional, I'm an amateur, but I'm just interested in how the photography business works out.
I might have read the post too fast or something, or maybe it just wasn't very well structured, don't usually have problems comprehending English lol.

500px (external link)
Razzi (external link)
Please give me some constructive criticism and comments.

MattMcKay
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 21, 2011 20:10 |  #543

Needing some advice.

Most of the photography I do Is live music, functions, wedding and landscapes.

I have been approached by a new cosmetic company (a friend of a friend) starting in the UK. They want me to take all the pictures for their new line. About 14 items.

This will be the usual planned set shots of the products for magazines. How ever I am stumped at what I should charge them for this.

As this is a whole new market I am not sure if i could base my pricing on a live set price or weddings. I believe this company would go far. But I don't want to under charge or over.

I had an Idea in my head of £2-4,000.

This would cover the launch night shots, the studio work for the 1st line,, which would be shooting the products and making their poster designs and all of the images.

Ive not done this before so i cant put a time line in my head and work on how many days/hours work I would put in. Also as they stand to make hundreds of thousands on the products if my shots are the main marketing images should I charge more?

If there are any people here who have worked with cosmetic companies before or you think I am making a huge mistake on the price. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Matt

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,836 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 24, 2011 07:58 |  #544

Matt, I can't help you much, but if you believe the company is going to be very successful then price it so that they'd want to keep you for future shoots. Of course bust your butt in making top of the line images so they'd want to keep you. There should be something in this forum to help. I recall someone posting a site that walk you through calculating your business cost to generate pricing data, but I just can't find it. If searching reveals nothing then start a separate thread so it won't be buried in some other thread.

Good luck

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Hilary410
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 03, 2011 19:47 |  #545

I wish I could find such informative sites more often. I regularly spend much time on lust looking for some worthy sites when I can find something to read.

wholesale synthetic turf (external link)
artificial turf supplier (external link)

Art13bg
51 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 07, 2011 00:26 |  #546

Hello guys!

I have a question about pricing.
I got call from a friend today, and he asked me to shoot four pics with my 40D for a client of him.
I got the camera recently and never charge for photos since I never shot commercially. Just on vacations with friends and friends babies.

My friend told me to tell him by tomorrow a price for the 4 high res. I would take for the client of him. They will use the high res. photos on a 26" x 38" (or similar size) poster.

How much should I tell him?
Thanks in advance! (hope this is the right thread)

p.s.
I will need a light box, which I'll rent since I don't have one yet.
Also I need to think for some grey or black background since the objects are white and they need contrast background to outline them easily after that for the poster.

Whatever you shoot just make sure it's on focus!
*40D
*EF 24-105L IS USM
*430EX II

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 09, 2011 00:53 |  #547

Art13bg wrote in post #13216120 (external link)
Hello guys!

I have a question about pricing.
I got call from a friend today, and he asked me to shoot four pics with my 40D for a client of him.
I got the camera recently and never charge for photos since I never shot commercially. Just on vacations with friends and friends babies.

My friend told me to tell him by tomorrow a price for the 4 high res. I would take for the client of him. They will use the high res. photos on a 26" x 38" (or similar size) poster.

How much should I tell him?
Thanks in advance! (hope this is the right thread)

p.s.
I will need a light box, which I'll rent since I don't have one yet.
Also I need to think for some grey or black background since the objects are white and they need contrast background to outline them easily after that for the poster.

High resolution files typically sell for anywhere between $50 and thousands of dollars. It all depends on how good you are.

Though, even myself as an amateur will charge $150 per high resolution, completely edited .JPG file.

Make sure they sign a contract though, delegating what they can and can't use these images for.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

Art13bg
51 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 09, 2011 10:27 as a reply to  @ DinosaurioAllie's post |  #548

Thank you DinosaurioAllie!

Actually I don't need to edit them, just to shoot them on a plain background.
I told him $50 per image, because I asked also a friend for how much to tell him.
The guy (client) is cheap though and wants 8 high res pictures for $60-80...

So I said no way.

Whatever you shoot just make sure it's on focus!
*40D
*EF 24-105L IS USM
*430EX II

Automotive ­ Photography
185 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2011 10:54 |  #549

Art13bg wrote in post #13224783 (external link)
Thank you DinosaurioAllie!

Actually I don't need to edit them, just to shoot them on a plain background.
I told him $50 per image, because I asked also a friend for how much to tell him.
The guy (client) is cheap though and wants 8 high res pictures for $60-80...

So I said no way.

Good for you for saying no way. He probably spends more than $80 a week on morning coffee and lunch.

Automotive Photography
http://www.automotive-photography.net (external link)
Worst Blog Ever
http://automotive--photography.blogspot.c​om (external link)

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 19, 2011 14:04 |  #550

Not sure if this has been posted...

http://www.nppa.org …practices/cdb/c​dbcalc.cfm (external link)

Good rough calculator on what to charge.

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,837 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 24, 2011 15:38 |  #551

altitude604 wrote in post #13274410 (external link)
Not sure if this has been posted...

http://www.nppa.org …practices/cdb/c​dbcalc.cfm (external link)

Good rough calculator on what to charge.

Interesting calculator, although some of it wouldn't necessarily apply to the amateur photog and some of it would really require some thought. Very nice tool for guidance.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

I ­ weston ­ I
334 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 26, 2011 19:27 |  #552

So when you do your calculations on salary, you deduct a car payment, computer, and health insurance before you add in your salary? That is dumb. no way you can count $80,000 of expenses annually to need to make $120,000 to equal a $40,000 salary in other industries. You pay for a car with your salary, not count it as a pre-salary expense.

Take a business course in value added processes and you'll see that no client will pay for your car payment as part of their bill. No client will pay for your office supplies. Some of you don't seem to understand business considering you run one. Sure you can give a flat bill, not itemized, but if you plan to make $120,000 in a year doing photography, that's equivalent to a much higher than $40,000 salary elsewhere.

Nikon D7000, Nikon D3100 18-105mm VR, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300mm VR

timk519
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 27, 2011 08:13 as a reply to  @ I weston I's post |  #553

Anything that goes into providing a product or service is a legit business expenses that needs to be factored into one's pricing calculations. Of course one wouldn't put "car payment" in the bill, it would be reflected in a higher charge for the service itself.

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,836 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 31, 2011 22:39 |  #554

What he said^^^^^

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 06, 2011 22:44 |  #555

FlipsidE wrote in post #440891 (external link)
The shoot I have lined up is for one of my absolute best friend's six week old daughter. This was something I volunteered to shoot, for free, way back when I first started to learn photography. And, while I may do some clean up work, I intend to probably just hand her a CD (preferrably offer a ZIPed or RARed download from my site) with all the shots on it and let her print them as she sees fit.

Since I will do no printing myself, the only money out of pocket for this shoot will be the money it takes to buy gasoline to drive to her place and drive back (probably a 10 minute drive)...that and the money for my time if you go by the "my time is money" saying.

Thing is, I could get some good experience from this and possibly add some photos to my portfolio. On top of that, I could make a good friend happy. I would make sure, though, to tell her that this is a one time thing and that I would not be doing this for free for her friends.

Am I missing the real point by doing this? Or are these types of things generally acceptable?

FlipsidE

Is that all you really have out of pocket? You had to buy the equipment, material to run the equipment and what ever it cost you to learn how to run the equipment. So if you add all those cost up and then divided it in to the cost of X number of pictures over a 5 yr period you would be amortizing your cost of doing your photography. So if I have $15,000.00 in equipment and lets say I shot 200 sell able pic a year, that would mean every pic would have a minimum cost factor of $15.00 over a period of 5 yrs (1000 pics)
To depreciate the equipment to zero? Now were not even figuring your time, gas, food etc

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

sponsored links

309,185 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.