Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Mar 2005 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How Much do I charge? For your consideration

mpicmotion
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 09, 2011 08:33 |  #556

how much should i charge to make a calendar with 7 girls?

sponsored links
IndyJeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Dec 14, 2011 05:14 |  #557

mpicmotion wrote in post #13517957 (external link)

How much will your costs be? That is the first question you need to ask. Second, how much is your time worth?

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

PanTerra
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 20, 2011 18:40 as a reply to  @ IndyJeff's post |  #558

Take a look at this commercial website.

http://www.playscripts​.com/photolarge.php3?p​layid=2299 (external link)

See that picture? That's mine and I have not authorized any commercial use of this photo. The production company had an entire album of my photos uploaded to their facebook page. I contacted Facebook about them not owning the ©. Facebook pulled the album in under 12 hours from my notification. However, going back to that FB page, I saw a link to the playscripts site along with my picture. I sent playscripts an email requesting that they remove the photo. We'll see what happends.

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 26, 2012 01:05 |  #559

^^^ I click the link and it says "FORBIDDEN You do not have permission to access this page."

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 26, 2012 08:02 |  #560

instead of having the pictures pulled, you should have taken screen shots, registered the pictures and sent them a fair but worth while bill :D

PanTerra wrote in post #13575989 (external link)
Take a look at this commercial website.

http://www.playscripts​.com/photolarge.php3?p​layid=2299 (external link)

See that picture? That's mine and I have not authorized any commercial use of this photo. The production company had an entire album of my photos uploaded to their facebook page. I contacted Facebook about them not owning the ©. Facebook pulled the album in under 12 hours from my notification. However, going back to that FB page, I saw a link to the playscripts site along with my picture. I sent playscripts an email requesting that they remove the photo. We'll see what happends.

Canon investor

TaggM
250 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 29, 2012 08:32 |  #561

mpicmotion wrote in post #13517957 (external link)

There are many good books on photography pricing out there. Some questions that will affect your final price:

What product do they want? A small mini-calendar with one photo, or a full-spread 12-month calendar with a total of 14 photographs? Your costs and effort differ between those. 30 minutes or less for your time on set for the former, maybe an all day shoot or 14 different sessions and locations for the latter.

How will it be used? Will it be for just one copy? Will it be "sold" only to members within a specific organization? Will it be used as a retail product with the intent to sell at least 25,000 copies?

If it will be used for multiple copies, maybe a base plus royalty is in order.

I have Canon gear. SX1 IS, two 7D bodies and mostly f/2.8 lenses 10mm-200mm, doubler, and 17/4 TSE, some 580EX IIs. Additional portable lighting gear, and tripod with 360 pano mount. Want two 7D II bodies.

AWD ­ FTW!
395 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 10, 2012 14:47 |  #562

Ok I have a question. The company I work for is interested in me doing key automotive shots for new models. All they need is one good photo of almost every new model for a scrolling banner on their website.

The GM told me to figure out how long it typically takes me to do a shoot and get back to him with what I think is fair. They will be paying me hourly. I am by no means a professional, but I do know my way around a camera and processing software. It usually takes me around 1.5-3 hours to take photos, then another 2 hours or so to edit, so a typical car takes anywhere from 3-5 hours total.

I was thinking that $25 hr sounds reasonable, but I dont want to overcharge or undercharge.

Whats your opinion?

Canon 7D Mark II/Sigma 18-35 F1.8/Canon 40 F2.8/Canon 10-18 STM/Canon 70-200 F4L/2x(Yongnuo 560iii)/Cheap Tripod

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2012 16:20 |  #563

are you charging for your time and rights to the files separately? :D

Canon investor

AWD ­ FTW!
395 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 10, 2012 16:51 |  #564

GerryDavid wrote in post #14063377 (external link)
are you charging for your time and rights to the files separately? :D

I wasnt charging for the rights to the photos:lol:

Should I be?

Canon 7D Mark II/Sigma 18-35 F1.8/Canon 40 F2.8/Canon 10-18 STM/Canon 70-200 F4L/2x(Yongnuo 560iii)/Cheap Tripod

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2012 16:54 |  #565

its how the pro's pay for the equipment and make a living. :) This isnt my area of expertise but I am slowly getting my brain around it. charge for your time and then charge for the rights which are limited to a year by year basis so if they want to use them again next year they either renew it or have you come in and do new shots. :) keeps the cash flow going. need a piece of equipment, bill it to them if its a large enough job. :D

Canon investor

AWD ­ FTW!
395 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 10, 2012 17:33 |  #566

GerryDavid wrote in post #14063552 (external link)
its how the pro's pay for the equipment and make a living. :) This isnt my area of expertise but I am slowly getting my brain around it. charge for your time and then charge for the rights which are limited to a year by year basis so if they want to use them again next year they either renew it or have you come in and do new shots. :) keeps the cash flow going. need a piece of equipment, bill it to them if its a large enough job. :D

Thanks for the info. Ill run it passed them

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 10, 2012 17:34 |  #567

if it means more money out of their pockets, I doubt they will be in favor of this. :)

Canon investor

AWD ­ FTW!
395 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 10, 2012 18:13 |  #568

GerryDavid wrote in post #14063751 (external link)
if it means more money out of their pockets, I doubt they will be in favor of this. :)

Truth. They have all the stock photography they can get their hands on. But the reason I am of use to them is I can create quality photos of the cars with scenery that directly links the photo to a local environment

imranali
60 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 08, 2012 23:54 |  #569

Guys a lil help

I've been given quite a good heads up on a job that could be very regular and lead to other jobs

from what i've gathered they have regular meetings etc where they require picture presentations of their properties etc but also they're looking for pictures of the presentation night itself too.

i havent got the ability to produce the printed pics immediately and the guy who told me has suggested nothing to say that is what they are looking for either.

as far as i can tell they want pics to show on the night and pics of the night

not knowing exactly how much pre-work is required is the hard bit

i'm planning to write an introductory letter offering my services etc so i'm leaving the pricing out for the time being however what price should i suggest when the issue is raised?

http://www.facebook.co​m/ialiphotography (external link)
Full website to come soon!!

MDavey
516 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2009

Apr 10, 2012 01:23 |  #570

Any suggestions on where I can go about starting to sell my photos?

A7s | 135L | Sigma 30mm ART | Canon 28mm 2.8 | Canon 15mm
Twitter @MDaveyy | Instagram @MDaveyy | Snapchat @MatDavey
mdaveyphoto.com

sponsored links

309,184 views & 9 likes for this thread
How Much do I charge? For your consideration
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.