Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Broke 24-105 L (cost repair assumption)

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2008 14:16 |  #1

Well my friend dropped his 24-105 on camera. It was on the tripod but not locked in (accident of course). Then going to portrait mode, the camera took a tumble. The lens hit first where the filter attaches. It looks 100% fine! The lens did not come off the camera easily, the zoom is extremely difficult. The AF looks good. Little sounds when you shake it from inside (small piece of plastic perhaps?). IS has yet to be checked...All elements appear to be in place and good shape.

So I was wondering what would your guesses be in what the problem is and cost. My friend is looking at getting the 5D MKII so we are thinking you can buy that, w/ the 24-105. The additional cost is like $800, maybe that would be better assuming repair cost are that high...

What do you all think? Thanks,.

-Andy-

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2008 14:22 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Damaged zoom, probably a crack in the internal zoom. Had this wrong with 50-200 2.8-3.5 zuiko once. Cost for this, not sure, call the number of tech support and see (should be in the lens manual somewhere).

Could also have damaged the EF contacts on the camera...what do they look like? Try attatching more lenses and seeing if the same problem exists in them. That would be your biggest worry.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2008 14:32 |  #3

Wow, sorry to hear that. I don't know if Canon and Sigma prices are similar, but I had to get my Sigma 24-70mm repaired for uneven tension in the zoom ring. The repair quote said that it came from impact, and that they would need to replace the track where the lens rotates as well as the rollers, I can only assume they would need to replace something similar on your lens. It's one assembly on that lens, so it was just the one part that needed replacing and the quote was $144CDN including taxes. I know I had never dropped it and had previously brought it in for the zoom ring locking at one extreme, so Sigma Canada treated it as a warranty repair and did it for free!!! Yeah! Since you did actually drop it there might be other damaged parts or loose elements, so I guess you can guess that it will be at least $144 or possibly more? Good luck!

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2008 14:39 |  #4

barronchung. I had dropped a sigma and it had cost about $280USD which is similar to what you said. I hope Canon has similar pricing, that would be more doable.

Thanks kajuah, I will have to check other lenses too. Good call...That would be a bigger problem!

-Andy-

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2008 14:48 |  #5

Checked out the mount on camera. Seems good with other lenses WOOOO!

-Andy-

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 09, 2008 16:14 |  #6

I dropped a 24-105 off of a camera onto a ferry floor in Japan. It bent the mount so that it could no longer mount. I had to send it in to have it replaced and it cost $141.50

I work part-time at a camera store for the discounts and pretty much every L repair that we do gets charged at least $141.50. I think thats the minimum charge for servicing an L lens.

flickr (external link)

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 09, 2008 17:26 |  #7

Thanks Adam, That's good to know!

how was the rest of the lens outside of the mounting? Everything on the inside was fine (IS, focusing, elements)?

-Andy-

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 09, 2008 22:37 |  #8

Livinthalife wrote in post #6846525 (external link)
Thanks Adam, That's good to know!

how was the rest of the lens outside of the mounting? Everything on the inside was fine (IS, focusing, elements)?

It was fine to my uneducated eye. The focus was hard to turn but did still turn. It also still zoomed. I couldnt check IS since I couldnt mount it.

flickr (external link)

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 10, 2008 16:48 |  #9

just an update!

Well we took apart the rear of the lens, and heard the mount "snap" back into place. The zoom worked with no problem then. We put the few screw back in, and checked everything else. All checks good. Money saved!

-Andy-

sponsored links

3,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broke 24-105 L (cost repair assumption)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.