Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
Thread started 09 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Backfocusing? Need second opinion!

ef2
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2008 17:51 |  #1

After shooting a few test shots around my office, I'm suspecting a lens I received in a trade here is backfocusing.

First attachment is autofocus, tripod-mounted 5D + 85mm f/1.8, MLU and timer. Second is same with slight manual focus adjustment. Both are 100% crops converted from RAW.

Thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

sponsored links
wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,954 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 09, 2008 18:26 |  #2

Looks like it, unfortunately.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

ef2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 09, 2008 20:17 |  #3

Hmm that's not good. Of course, if I wanted people's eyes in focus, I guess I can focus on their noses?

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24mm f/3.5L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 135mm f/2.8 SF | 70-200mm [COLOR=black]f/2.8L IS | 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 10, 2008 01:15 |  #4

What is "backfocusing"? I see the differences in the pics above, but what is happening to get there?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,954 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 10, 2008 02:09 |  #5

ef2 wrote in post #6847417 (external link)
Hmm that's not good. Of course, if I wanted people's eyes in focus, I guess I can focus on their noses?

Well, lips is probably more useful, or nostrils. Otherwise the eyes are out of focus again. :D

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 3 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 02:13 |  #6

photoguy6405 wrote in post #6848953 (external link)
What is "backfocusing"? I see the differences in the pics above, but what is happening to get there?

Backfocusing = The lens actually focuses on a spot deeper in the frame than where the electronics are showing it should focus.

Frontfocusing = The lens focuses on a spot closer in the frame...

In the OPs example, the red box should be showing that focus is on the thick black line across the middle of the chart but as you can see, the line that's approx 16-18mm behind that is actually sharp. The second frame, the OP has actually manually moved the focus ring to get the middle of the chart sharp.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 10, 2008 02:22 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #7

Either its back-focusing or you did the test wrong.

How did you measure the 45degree angle? Have to ask as even the manual focus shot is not correct.

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,954 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 10, 2008 02:25 |  #8

photoguy6405 wrote in post #6848953 (external link)

Backfocusing is a lens or camera condition which causes the DoF-zone (Depth of Field) after AF to start after the actual point where you focused on, IOW, behind the subject you are trying to focus on.

This is what is happening in the above pictures. It was focused at the bar with the "Focus here" text, but focus ended up slightly behind that bar. This is very irritating when shooting nearby subjects, because they tend to be unsharp as a result, or have the sharpness at a different point than where you really want it. Further away this generally is less of a problem, because DoF, which is much more extended further away, then tends to catch these problems. This problem becomes obviosu nearby and with large apertures (small f-numbers); with smaller apertures (higher f-numbers) DoF grows much larger and include the OOF (Out Of Focus) area, provided the problem isn't too big.

However, in many cases this is caused by user error, as one's body always moves a little. This is why you need a good tripod, MLU (Mirror Lock Up) and a remote switch in combination with the focus test chart, or any other good (static) test subject to test whether a lens or camera is back or front focusing. Frontfocus is where after AF the focus falls in front of the subject, towards you.

If a camera front or back focuses, which is very rare, it tends to happen with all your lenses, and not, f.e., with a different camera, while for individual lenses front or back focus will be the same or similar with different bodies. This probably happens with 4 or 5 out of 100 lenses or so.

Kind regards, Wim

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2008 03:58 as a reply to  @ wimg's post |  #9

KarlosDaJackal wrote in post #6849151 (external link)
Either its back-focusing or you did the test wrong.

How did you measure the 45degree angle? Have to ask as even the manual focus shot is not correct.

The angle is not at all critical. 45° just makes the marks on the chart actually represent the stated distances, an interesting datum perhaps, but of negligible practical significance where a gross error is apparent.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 10, 2008 04:54 as a reply to  @ xarqi's post |  #10

This is usually a lens problem, not a camera problem. Is this a Canon lens? Is it still under warantee? If so, send it in for adjustment.

ef2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 10, 2008 07:06 |  #11

It's pretty consistent between my 5D and 1D. It's the Canon 85mm and probably not under warranty. I hope the person I traded my 100mm with will take it back. He said it works fine with his camera.

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

ito4u
135 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 10, 2008 09:00 |  #12

You should try to get your old lens back. You could always ask another photog to test it out and see if they have the same issue.

Gear: Canon L Whore

ef2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 10, 2008 11:40 |  #13

All the photogs I know use Nikon.

Here's one from an XT here at work that looks slightly better. Sorry for the white bal

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mk III
Canon 580EX
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 10, 2008 12:04 |  #14

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6849117 (external link)
Backfocusing = The lens actually focuses on a spot deeper in the frame than where the electronics are showing it should focus.

Frontfocusing = The lens focuses on a spot closer in the frame...

In the OPs example, the red box should be showing that focus is on the thick black line across the middle of the chart but as you can see, the line that's approx 16-18mm behind that is actually sharp. The second frame, the OP has actually manually moved the focus ring to get the middle of the chart sharp.

wimg wrote in post #6849162 (external link)
Backfocusing is a lens or camera condition which causes the DoF-zone (Depth of Field) after AF to start after the actual point where you focused on, IOW, behind the subject you are trying to focus on.

This is what is happening in the above pictures. It was focused at the bar with the "Focus here" text, but focus ended up slightly behind that bar. This is very irritating when shooting nearby subjects, because they tend to be unsharp as a result, or have the sharpness at a different point than where you really want it. Further away this generally is less of a problem, because DoF, which is much more extended further away, then tends to catch these problems. This problem becomes obviosu nearby and with large apertures (small f-numbers); with smaller apertures (higher f-numbers) DoF grows much larger and include the OOF (Out Of Focus) area, provided the problem isn't too big.

However, in many cases this is caused by user error, as one's body always moves a little. This is why you need a good tripod, MLU (Mirror Lock Up) and a remote switch in combination with the focus test chart, or any other good (static) test subject to test whether a lens or camera is back or front focusing. Frontfocus is where after AF the focus falls in front of the subject, towards you.

If a camera front or back focuses, which is very rare, it tends to happen with all your lenses, and not, f.e., with a different camera, while for individual lenses front or back focus will be the same or similar with different bodies. This probably happens with 4 or 5 out of 100 lenses or so.

Kind regards, Wim

Thanks for the answers. I learned something new today. Now I can go back to bed. :lol:

Anyway, sometimes I have issues with focusing close-up and have always blown it off as me and my eyes. Are these focusing charts easy to obtain?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 13:57 |  #15

photoguy6405 wrote in post #6851298 (external link)
Thanks for the answers. I learned something new today. Now I can go back to bed. :lol:

Anyway, sometimes I have issues with focusing close-up and have always blown it off as me and my eyes. Are these focusing charts easy to obtain?

"Focusing Close Up" .. Maybe you're up against the MFD (minimum focus distance) for the lens in question?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

7,890 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backfocusing? Need second opinion!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.