Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dirtiest, nastiest, cheapest lens you've ever bought.

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2008 20:47 |  #1

So I thought it would be fun to hunt down nasty cheapo lenses on the 'Bay or CL or whatever. I've been browsing around for the past half hour but I haven't found anything yet.

My aim is to get some super crappy cheap lenses, and dedicate a thread to them and the pictures we take with them.

I don't know if any of you guys do this or if you know or OWN said types of lenses ;) Would love to see pictures of them, or hear recommendations of lenses I should hunt down.

Requirement: Has to be less than $50 in value. Anything above that probably has half decent optics. :P

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 09, 2008 20:57 |  #2

Why would anyone really want to waste time on crappy pictures? Yes, cheap lenses can produce good results. I have 8 that cost me less than $100. and they produce great pix. But, nasty is not a term that comes to my mind.

GEAR LIST

Mosca
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2008 21:00 |  #3

Dirtiest, nastiest, cheapest lens I ever bought was on a cheap spy camera advertised on a bubble gum wrapper. I'm certain it was plastic.

Dirtiest, cheapest lens I ever bought in the last few years has to be the one on my cell phone.

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2008 21:00 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #4

honestly? 17-40mm f/4L is about as cheap as i've ever gone with a lens other than Tokina WA and FE, i definitely used both of them more often.

i don't dig on cheap glass nor trust low prices on optics. period.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

GetOnMyLevel
538 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 09, 2008 21:05 |  #5

saiminyaku wrote in post #6847683 (external link)
honestly? 17-40mm f/4L is about as cheap as i've ever gone with a lens other than Tokina WA and FE, i definitely used both of them more often.

i don't dig on cheap glass nor trust low prices on optics. period.

^so you base your lenses off its price?

how many people have bought the SMC takumar 50 1.4 for less then $100 and had beautiful results. not to mention a lot of vintage manual focus glass that were more than great.

let your eye define the quality of the lens, not your wallet.

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2008 21:06 |  #6

This is purely for fun - of course if you're a perfectionist who simply has to have the highest standards of optical excellence, then this topic probably isn't for you ;)

EDIT: Please note my dripping sarcasm :)

Gear

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2008 21:13 |  #7

GetOnMyLevel wrote in post #6847708 (external link)
^so you base your lenses off its price?

how many people have bought the SMC takumar 50 1.4 for less then $100 and had beautiful results. not to mention a lot of vintage manual focus glass that were more than great.

let your eye define the quality of the lens, not your wallet.

notice that i separated my remark about cheap optics and low priced glass.

i think this was about the "cheapest, dirtiest, nastiest, ect" and by no means does the SMC takumar fall into this generalization.

spare me the argumentative responses, i even said my lower priced Tokina WA and FE saw more play than the L.

selectively read much?

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 09, 2008 21:16 |  #8

I actually rented a Quantaray 100-300 4.5. Probably the second week after I bought my 300D.. Got some decent shots, seeing as how I had no idea what I was doing.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

dekalbSTEEL
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 09, 2008 21:19 |  #9

Any old m42 mount lens with the name Hanimex, Vivitar, JCPenney

Oh yeah, and that Phoenix 28-105(softest lens ever) that I traded in for a sensor cleaning:lol:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by ZENFOLIO PROTECTED

Grippy 30D, Tokina 300f4, Sigma 18-50f2.8, Canon 70-200f4L, thrifty50mkI, PM7500DX
Jon Gee Photography.com (external link)

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2008 21:20 |  #10

BrandonSi wrote in post #6847769 (external link)
I actually rented a Quantaray 100-300 4.5. Probably the second week after I bought my 300D.. Got some decent shots, seeing as how I had no idea what I was doing.

The name Quantaray makes me laugh for some reason :) Sounds like a superhero from the 80's or something...

Pray, tell, do you have any sample photos?

Gear

mehran.mo
998 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 09, 2008 21:46 |  #11

A very flare prone lens. The Helios 44-2 58mm f2. Honesty I love the softness of the colors that this lens produces and it's pretty sharp even wide open.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Digital SLR: Canon 5D w/grip * EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM * EF 200mm f2.8L MK I * 580EX II
Film SLR: Hasselblad 500c * Zeiss 60mm f3.5 CF T* Distagon (whole kit for sale)
www.borbal.com (external link)

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 09, 2008 21:50 |  #12

i use to have a 50mm f/1.4 FD lens that I hooked up to a 5D with an adapter, it was dam sharp.

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

bric-a-brac
520 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 09, 2008 21:52 |  #13

I've been meaning to attempt some projects I've found online that fall into this vein. I'm a big fan of lomography (external link), so this sort of stuff is really fun to me.

anyway, do some google searches, and you'll find instructions on how to mount a holga toy camera lens on a body camp for use on an SLR, and my new fascination: pringles can macro lenses (external link).

check it out.

"a photograph isn't about what something looks like, but what it's like to look."
50D|35L|other stuff

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 09, 2008 22:06 |  #14

darosk wrote in post #6847793 (external link)
The name Quantaray makes me laugh for some reason :) Sounds like a superhero from the 80's or something...

Pray, tell, do you have any sample photos?

In fact I do :) These are some of the first shots I took, and hadn't quite mastered any PP techniques. Maybe I'll go back and get the RAW's and see what I can pull out of it knowing what I know now.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 09, 2008 22:09 |  #15

I have a Hanimar 135mm f/3.5, M42 mount. Surprisingly good considering I got it for CAD$7.

I also have a $30 SMC Takumar 55 1.8, but I like that lens better than the 50 1.4 :lol:, which I've since sold.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links

5,819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dirtiest, nastiest, cheapest lens you've ever bought.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.