Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Ice Hockey Tips?

martinsmith
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 10, 2008 12:40 |  #1

Hi

I've been asked to shoot a local team on Saturday.

Equipment I'll take:
40D, 50/1.8, 70-200/4, 580exii (if I'm allowed to use).

I was thinking of using Tv &/or M with shutter speed around 250-500 with ISO at wherever it needs to be. I always shoot RAW so I'll figure out WB in post. I usually have AF on the * button for action stuff.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

[SIZE=1]ms-imaging (external link)

sponsored links
sadler21
306 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 12, 2008 08:28 |  #2

martinsmith wrote in post #6851537 (external link)
Hi

I've been asked to shoot a local team on Saturday.

Equipment I'll take:
40D, 50/1.8, 70-200/4, 580exii (if I'm allowed to use).

I was thinking of using Tv &/or M with shutter speed around 250-500 with ISO at wherever it needs to be. I always shoot RAW so I'll figure out WB in post. I usually have AF on the * button for action stuff.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Tip: do a search. Loads of good information here under the search feature. ;)

-Chris
Gear List/Gallery (external link)

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 12, 2008 10:58 |  #3

I already did.

Different opinions are usually expressed as there is often more than one way to skin a cat. And I also doubt if there are many questions asking to do exactly what I want to do with the exact setup that I have.

And, posting is what keeps the forum going.

JustinL
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 13, 2008 07:41 |  #4

martinsmith wrote in post #6864388 (external link)
I already did.

Different opinions are usually expressed as there is often more than one way to skin a cat. And I also doubt if there are many questions asking to do exactly what I want to do with the exact setup that I have.

And, posting is what keeps the forum going.

So you want someone to tell you exactly what to do with the equipment you listed above?

I'll tell you right now, I'd leave everything else at home but the camera and 70-200 lens. F4 may be slow, depending on the arena you're shooting at. Some pro arenas may be bright enough to allow you to get a high shutter speed @ f4 without underexposing, but I guess you'll have to wait and see what you get at your arena.

Save yourself time in post and do a Custom WB reading off the ice.

If you want to bring your flash, read what Dennis posted here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=386096

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=594656

You can find some good links searching "hockey how" or "hockey help"

My Site (external link)

JustinL
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 13, 2008 07:54 |  #5

one more:

http://www.lexar.com …lessons/smith_h​ockey.html (external link)

My Site (external link)

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 15, 2008 01:49 |  #6

Thanks - I read and re-read everything before the game.

I shot with the 50/1.8 and the 70-200 f4. The 50 was actually the better tool although some cropping was needed on a few of the shots. The 70-200 was struggling. I had between 1/60 & 1/320 @ F4 with 3200iso.

I think next time I would get a 85 or 100 prime and also pack the 50.

disneydork06
Cream of the Crop
7,317 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 15, 2008 04:30 |  #7

why did you have 1/60 sec? did you shoot in manual? first thing you need to do is point your camera at the ice and fill the frame, then find out how much you have to over expose the ice to get it to looking as close to white as you can get while still keeping at least a 1/250 shutter speed. need that to at least compensate for your lens shake. anything less than that then you may get more blurry photos than wanted. I got lucky with my shots and the place my college played at had like tinfoil looking insulation. reflected lots of nice light down.
So yeah, Just was right with the 70-200 cause that's all you need for the place. btw, how did you get to shoot the game? through the glass or did you get a hole or were you unlucky like I was and got to shoot above the glass where you had the possibility of getting hit :-D

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 15, 2008 06:55 |  #8

I shot in Av with a bit of EC added as a few of the lights were not working, so not in the least bit consistant. M would have produced some over/underexposed shots depending on how close they were to the lights. The ceiling also was covered in mildew (I kid you not) so not reflective. The whole setup was really poor. People moan about the Canon metering, but it was rarely fooled and by less than a stop.

I was with the home team for a while, leaning over the barrier, but basically could shoot from wherever I liked. Some I shot from a stage at about halfway which was not bad. There was even a crow's nest that I could've used but I thought it was too steep of an angle.

kenzzie
37 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 15, 2008 19:24 |  #9

The 70-200 F2.8 is an excellent hockey lens that lets you shoot play with reach extending to most of the rink. If you have the opportunity to shoot hockey with this lens, it will quickly become one of your favorites.

IMAGE: http://photobug-guelph.smugmug.com/photos/436828432_SMMC6-M.jpg

Ken

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 05:49 |  #10

More than 100 is too long from my vantage point. Also, 2.8 may not be fast enough with the lighting I have to put up with.

pwrmac
142 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 16, 2008 08:46 |  #11

martinsmith wrote in post #6887895 (external link)
More than 100 is too long from my vantage point. Also, 2.8 may not be fast enough with the lighting I have to put up with.

Dude, 100 is NOT too long for hockey..trust me. You want to get in as close to the action as possible, thats what makes sport photography interesting. I would definitly look at 7-200 F2.8 if you are going to continue shooting hockey.
As for the lighting conditions in your arena, well, by the sounds of it, your only option may be to use strobes (even with a 2.8 ), because I assure you the F4 will not cut it based on the what you are describing.

Canon 50D | Canon 24-70 2.8L | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS | Canon 580ex II | Sigma 500DG Super

kenzzie
37 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 16, 2008 13:42 |  #12

martinsmith wrote in post #6887895 (external link)

Where are you shooting from? With 70-200, I find that I'm frequently at 200 and rarely less than 100. Even with this set up, I find myself unable to shoot in the far end without excessive cropping. Anything faster than F2.8 will lead to too shallow depth of field. Strobes may be the only way to go if your light won't let you shoot at f2.8.

Ken

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 14:12 |  #13

Guys, you seem to be having trouble with this so let me explain.....

The lighting is REALLY bad. Three of the lights don't work and the ceiling is black with mildew EVERYWHERE, so even at 3200iso there are areas at F4 1/60. I shoot right at the barrier, in either the home or away team's bench (avoiding getting whacked with a hockey bat when play gets close) or a raised platform at about halfway, but I am always close to the action. With 70-200, I use the wide end mainly (remember I am on a crop body). Therefore an 85 or 100 with my existing 50/1.8 would do the job.

Nifty fifty......

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

martinsmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
680 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 14:22 |  #14

And....I cannot afford a 70-200 F2.8 :(

ChrisRabior
826 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2008 14:24 |  #15

If you already know that your 70-200 isn't fast enough, I don't see what the discussion is about. I've run into the same limit with my f/4L, and the best you can hope to do is shoot manually and in RAW, try to pick an area with better lighting than the rest of the rink, and then hope you got enough light to salvage in post. Of course, the ultimate hope is that you'll be shooting in a rink and not the equivalent of a dark cave.

That's not always an option, so the 50mm f/1.8 comes out of the bag. And, as I'm sure you've been able to discover on your own, the 50mm f/1.8 doesn't have nearly the focusing speed of the L glass. Fast shutter and a wider aperture doesn't do you a lot of good when you're OOF. You'd almost be better off trying to pan with the L glass.

It sucks, but you really don't have the right gear between the f/4L and the 50. I know I still don't have the right gear.. but I'm getting closer. Another 50 (not the slow focusing f/1.8) would work out well, and the 85mm f/1.8 is another prime option, but your best bet would either be a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or a 50-135/150 range lens.

I find my best hockey photos come from either my f/4L in well lit arenas (sometimes you just have to admit lighting defeat and only shoot in the lit portions of the arena), with my 18-50mm f/2.8 (although that really limits you to where you can shoot and what you'll be able to cover), or a borrowed 85mm f/1.8.

If I were you (and going by the fact that you don't think you need the reach of the 70-200mm), I'd invest in a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 lens.

My Gear | My Alamy (external link) | My Website (external link) | MMA Photography (external link)

sponsored links

5,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Ice Hockey Tips?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.