Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accused of being a paedophile!!!

this thread is locked
Mystery ­ Machine
300 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:17 |  #1

Right, here is something that really pi$$ed me off/upset me today....

I was out this morning in the park taking some wildlife shots (as can be seen on the bottom of page 163 in this thread here: https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=52584​7&page=163) While walking around the frozen pond and getting some shots of the gulls/swans I saw these two girls smashing through the ice and throwing the shards across the pond. I thought it might make a nice picture as they threw the ice in the air.

I aimed my lens at them to get a meter reading and took a 'test' shot to see if I'd got the exposure correct. While checking the test shot a woman with a very foreign accent comes marching over to me waving her arms all over the place and screaming at the top of her voice calling me a paedophile!!

As soon as she is near me she is lunging towards the camera trying to grab it off me.

I'm in shock and can see everyone around the pond staring as she continues to shout 'paedophile' at me. I try and ask her what is wrong and she starts ranting on about me photographing her kids, she wants my name & address and she's going to call the police. She wants the photo deleted and wants me to leave the park (all the time she is trying to grab my camera)

At this moment all I am worried about is my camera & lens (100-400L) getting damaged or worse ending up in the pond so I tell her firmly to back off and calm down!

She keeps insisting I have to delete the photo and that she is going to report me.....

I start walking away but she's following me and getting more aggressive (all the time her kids are left alone leaning over the icy pond!!) so I pull my phone out of my pocket and start to call the police. She immediately stops and says as long as I delete the image she won't take the matter any further....

Still mostly worried about my camera/lens I turn the camera back on and skip a few shots along to another pic before pressing delete. I show her the shots either side to 'prove' to her that the photo is gone (which it isn't - but I wasn't going to tell her that!) and she spits at my feet and walks away.

Quite shaken I head home - still with people staring at me.

I only kept the photo because I believe I did nothing wrong and there was nothing untoward with the subject matter (fully clothed kids in a public place)

I only 'deleted' the photo to try and diffuse a very awkward and possibly volitile situation and also because I felt genuinely annoyed that she had the cheek to start accusing me of what she did. Had she approached calmly, asked nicely and explained I probably would have deleted the image for real out of courtesy.....

Anyway, I've uploaded the image (which is a crap picture because it was only a test shot) and would really apprecaite your veiws if you think I was out of order to have taken the shot in the first place?? What should I have done in this situation? What would you have done in this situation??

My FLICKR photos can be seen here - please feel free to comment.... (external link)

sponsored links
Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 10, 2008 14:22 |  #2

Hi there. The shot you've displayed here has been removed because you don't have permission to display it here (and you didn't have permission to even take the photo, since you were asked to delete the image).

Please continue the discussion without displaying or linking to the photo. It's not relevant to see it here.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2008 14:27 |  #3

It's common courtesy NOT to shoot children without permission... Perhaps the lady was out of line, but with all the wierdo's out there I'd just be sure to avoid the issue in the future.

You can thank the real pedaphiles for making everyone more cautious with children!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 14:30 |  #4

<Subscribing Out Of Curiosity Over This Subject>

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Willid1
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:34 as a reply to  @ Pete's post |  #5

Oh dear

My first post on here and it's to defend the OP and ask the moderator to be sure of his facts before he goes ground removing pictures.

Weather it was sensible in todays paranoid climate for the OP to take the photo in the first place it is nonetheless a fact that unless the children were under some kind of child protection order then he was totally within his rights to photograph anyone he wants in a public place (with reservations as to how he displays the images with regard to defamation etc - only really applies to celebs).

I admit I would probably been relucatant to take the picture myself - however photogenic they looked, but would defend the OP's right to do so.

Just another sad story of missinformed people cursing photographers.

I read one story of someone on Merseyside being called a peadophile while photographing a shipwrecked boat on soe mudfalts, with not a child in sight - very sad.

David

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2008 14:36 |  #6

Not to say who was right and who was wrong, but I am genuinely distressed at the many reports of photographic perverts and photographic pedophilia that the women of Great Britain seem so frequently able to find in their parks and gardens and on the streets and now mudflats. Cover those ankles ladies! all those photographers waving about their phallic symbols of worship! :rolleyes: Make sure they use them with some 'protection' (filter or hood), ladies, lest innocents catch something untoward! On the positive site, OP, she didn't accuse you of taking pictures of her butt with that long lens, like a lady did to someone trying to take macro shots of flower blossoms in a public garden!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 10, 2008 14:38 |  #7

David. I appreciate your concern here, but the basic facts are that the child's mother strongly objected to the fact that the OP photographed her children. Therefore, it follows that she hasn't given permission for the photograph to be displayed here publicly.

Those are the facts.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

12mnkys
709 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:38 |  #8

I think that she is out of line, but i had a similar instance happen with me. I took my Cam and tripod to the park with my wife and kids (to get photos of my kids playing) and everyone else was looking at me all strange. Later my wife told me what she overheard and I was incredibly irritated, and quite frankly a little humiliated! I mean to even have that P word thrown around at you is enough to make you feel uneasy. Quite frankly, you get more with sugar than vinegar, and if she really had a problem, she should have come up to and stated it politely and like an adult. Approaching me the she did you would have set me into a frenzy and I probably would have called the police my self and had her for harrassment.

Panasonic Lumix GX-1 | Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 O.I.S. | Panasonic 40 f/1.7

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 10, 2008 14:40 |  #9

While checking the test shot a woman with a very foreign accent comes marching over to me waving her arms all over the place and screaming at the top of her voice calling me a paedophile!!

Could there be a cultural angle to this as well?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tiziano
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 10, 2008 14:42 |  #10

The world is going the wrong direction.

Tiziano
Gear list

doctorgonzo
217 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:45 |  #11

I really don't understand this. How could he be taking photos of a prurient nature? I'm assuming the kids were not playing naked on a frozen pond. So how can taking pictures of bundled-up kids make you a pædophile?

If you take your kids out in public, then you really can't have an expectation of privacy. Besides, doesn't the government in the UK have like 8 million surveillance cameras in public these days? Why doesn't she accuse the government of being a pervert?

Canon 40D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM — Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 — Canon Speedlite 430EX II A long B&H wish list!
http://www.nathanhunst​ad.com (external link)

Mystery ­ Machine
THREAD ­ STARTER
300 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:45 |  #12

So is this the law - was I breaking the law??

I don't understand - I read everywhere on this site that 'candid' photography is allowed, that in public places it's perfectly OK to get pictures without permission etc....but you're saying that this isn't so? Please can someone just clarify this for me?

I have no 'interest' in photographing children and this shot was taken with good meaning and intention. Where is the line drawn "legally" where you have to delete an image if someone asks?? Or "legally" on what you can & can't take a picture of in a public place?

Like I said before, the image holds no significance to me and I would never have used it in any form (like 99% of my shots) because it wasn't a nice picture anyway. I only raised this point because of the way the woman immediately started trying to attack me. As said, if she had approached nicely and asked nicely, I wouldn't have hesitated in following her request.

Did I break the law then by not deleting the photo?

It has certainly made me not want to take photos in public places anymore. Randy, you're comment about being more cautious around children...I reckon I'll be feeling paranoid and afraid now, yet there is no malice, ill intention or anything sinister with what I do!

My god - it makes me wonder what the world is coming to! (I am not trying to spark a war, but would just like some clarification on this situation please if someone is able to?)

My FLICKR photos can be seen here - please feel free to comment.... (external link)

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Dec 10, 2008 14:47 |  #13

I can't speak to the UK, but in the US it is perfectly legal to take photos of anyone in a public place and publish them in an editorial context.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

12mnkys
709 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 10, 2008 14:48 |  #14

You know if you wanted to get really petty, you could have just started waving your arms in the air and started yelling terrosist, terrosist...same discrimination...

Panasonic Lumix GX-1 | Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 O.I.S. | Panasonic 40 f/1.7

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,167 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 10, 2008 14:53 |  #15

Mystery Machine wrote in post #6852410 (external link)
So is this the law - was I breaking the law??

I don't understand - I read everywhere on this site that 'candid' photography is allowed, that in public places it's perfectly OK to get pictures without permission etc....but you're saying that this isn't so? Please can someone just clarify this for me?

I have no 'interest' in photographing children and this shot was taken with good meaning and intention. Where is the line drawn "legally" where you have to delete an image if someone asks?? Or "legally" on what you can & can't take a picture of in a public place?

Like I said before, the image holds no significance to me and I would never have used it in any form (like 99% of my shots) because it wasn't a nice picture anyway. I only raised this point because of the way the woman immediately started trying to attack me. As said, if she had approached nicely and asked nicely, I wouldn't have hesitated in following her request.

Did I break the law then by not deleting the photo?

It has certainly made me not want to take photos in public places anymore. Randy, you're comment about being more cautious around children...I reckon I'll be feeling paranoid and afraid now, yet there is no malice, ill intention or anything sinister with what I do!

My god - it makes me wonder what the world is coming to! (I am not trying to spark a war, but would just like some clarification on this situation please if someone is able to?)

Citizens have a right to privacy, the question really is how much privacy when in a public setting! While the loo (toilet to us Yanks) even though it is a public place, privacy is expected. But out in the open in a public park, that makes me wonder about what legal right, if any, there is. Certainly a photographer is NOT to obtain monetary benefit nor benefit for his/her business enterprise thru the commercial use of a photo unless the identifiable persons in that photo give permission. But 'editorial' use is not protected; one wonders if POTN is not actually 'editorial' in content (for the betterment of those practicing photography) -- worth pondering, Moderator!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

27,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
Accused of being a paedophile!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.