Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accused of being a paedophile!!!

this thread is locked
tiziano
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 12, 2008 14:11 |  #301

Wilt wrote in post #6865533 (external link)
if you were out in the woods photographing a bear cub while you were having lunch, and then the defensive mother comes charging out of the trees in your direction, that is the right time to scramble up the neaby rocky cliff to avoid the angry mother, rather that to defend your right to have lunch in your picnic spot and photograph the cub! :D

Very good analogy!

Tiziano
Gear list

sponsored links
InsaneSkippy
125 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 12, 2008 14:15 |  #302

cdifoto wrote in post #6865112 (external link)
Chicks dig scars anyway, so no problems there.

They certainly won't if they are scars from getting beaten up by an irate mother who was accusing you of being a pedobear:-P

It kinda loses the whole "tough guy" thing at that point.

XTi, 50D| 18-55, 50, 55-255 | 430EX II, Genesis 200 |

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 14:17 |  #303

InsaneSkippy wrote in post #6865661 (external link)
They certainly won't if they are scars from getting beaten up by an irate mother who was accusing you of being a pedobear:-P

It kinda loses the whole "tough guy" thing at that point.

I got a scar on my forehead in a barfight when I was 6. You should see the other guy. Unfortunately it takes a court order to exhume a corpse.

I'm sure I could come up with something similar for the soccer mom sucker punches.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2008 14:20 |  #304

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #6864885 (external link)
Who reccommended "pull a gun?"

I didn't say that, but when I read it I was thinking of a tranquilizer gun.

;)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,958 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2008 14:49 |  #305

I do have to agree with the OP on this one, it is really easy to think logically behind your desk without someone yelling in your face. I would have moved to defuse first. How I wold have done that, who knows. But I can give you every assurance that it would not have included a law lecture about how I have the right to photograph her kids at will - even if I were completely in the right. It is not the place, time or the right conditions to have that discussion, nor would she have been receptive, no matter your verbal skills of persuasion.

To sit back here, and presume any of us could fully grasp the situation, and what we would have done, is silly. The media has scared the heck out of everyone in the UK. And to try to talk down a mama bear that her fears aren't justified... not a good battle to pick.

Those of you married I am sure have apologized for things you were not in the wrong for, because the bigger picture out weighs the individual battle. Getting defensive only makes you look more guilty. I wish I can say I would have dealt with the situation much differently and now the lady and I are best friends... who knows. But we can all learn from this and come up with our own strategies going forward so when this happens to you, and it will, ou know how you will deal with it. Thank heavens it wasn't their dad who had just perhaps had a few pints too many...

Don't think you know how you would have handled it... until you've been there, you don't know.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 14:52 |  #306

Croasdail wrote in post #6865879 (external link)
I do have to agree with the OP on this one, it is really easy to think logically behind your desk without someone yelling in your face. I would have moved to defuse first. How I wold have done that, who knows. But I can give you every assurance that it would not have included a law lecture about how I have the right to photograph her kids at will - even if I were completely in the right. It is not the place, time or the right conditions to have that discussion, nor would she have been receptive, no matter your verbal skills of persuasion.

To sit back here, and presume any of us could fully grasp the situation, and what we would have done, is silly. The media has scared the heck out of everyone in the UK. And to try to talk down a mama bear that her fears aren't justified... not a good battle to pick.

Those of you married I am sure have apologized for things you were not in the wrong for, because the bigger picture out weighs the individual battle. Getting defensive only makes you look more guilty. I wish I can say I would have dealt with the situation much differently and now the lady and I are best friends... who knows. But we can all learn from this and come up with our own strategies going forward so when this happens to you, and it will, ou know how you will deal with it. Thank heavens it was their dad who had just perhaps had a few pints too many...

Don't think you know how you would have handled it... until you've been there, you don't know.

I DO know how I would handle it because I'm not afraid to stand up for myself, and I know how to do that without getting combative.

I deal with irrational people all the time. My sister is a mother and she has a helluva temper.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,283 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 12, 2008 14:53 |  #307

Mark - a very well-reasoned and well-expressed view. I couldn't agree more!

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,958 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:04 |  #308

CDI... not being afraid has nothing to do with winning or loosing. And what you don't know is how many other people were near by who might have been sympathetic to here claims and weren't about to take the time to find out if they were true or not. Being smart is a lot better then being brave. There are a lot of very brave yet dumb as rocks people who ended up in the obituary section of the paper.... who thought the fight they were picking was worth it. I doubt their families would agree. Not saying your not a smart dude CDI... I have every expectation you are. But being brave has absolutely nothing to do with winning. Sometimes the brave thing to do is to fall back to a position you know you can win from.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:07 |  #309

Croasdail wrote in post #6865970 (external link)
CDI... not being afraid has nothing to do with winning or loosing. And what you don't know is how many other people were near by who might have been sympathetic to here claims and weren't about to take the time to find out if they were true or not. Being smart is a lot better then being brave. There are a lot of very brave yet dumb as rocks people who ended up in the obituary section of the paper.... who thought the fight they were picking was worth it. I doubt their families would agree. Not saying your not a smart dude CDI... I have every expectation you are. But being brave has absolutely nothing to do with winning. Sometimes the brave thing to do is to fall back to a position you know you can win from.

I never put it in terms of winning or losing.

My point is simply this:

If you make wreckless accusations as serous as this, and/or you assault me or try to assault me, you are not going to walk away scot-free.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,958 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:10 |  #310

Complete side note.... CDI, saw your new wedding stuff you posted on your site..... pretty good. Not that I was surprise, but I was surprised. The way you used to talk about wedding budgets in your area, I thought everyone had picnic benches and a bucket of chicken. But you presented these events really nicely...

Back to the subject at hand.

Keeping your reputation in tact is a winning or loosing proposition to me. I agree with ya I would fight to keep it. Being labeled a pedophile is about as low as you can go. People would rather have a convicted murder next door than a pedophile. Not a label I would be very tolerant of, and would be ultimately going for a solid, no doubt win on that one.

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:10 |  #311

I think professionalize is a good way to handle it. give the nice lady a business card or perhaps a promo card. That way she sees you as a working photographer. She might calm down enough to have a reasonable conversation. Then you can explain in detail you are not breaking any laws or her trust for that matter. Just a thought.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:11 |  #312

Croasdail wrote in post #6865998 (external link)
Complete side note.... CDI, saw your new wedding stuff you posted on your site..... pretty good. Not that I was surprise, but I was surprised. The way you used to talk about wedding budgets in your area, I thought everyone had picnic benches and a bucket of chicken. But you presented these events really nicely...

Back to the subject at hand.

Thanks Mark. Only one wedding was in my area though. It really is picnic benches and buckets of chicken around here. The high end weddings have a keg too though. :lol:

Mystery ­ Machine
THREAD ­ STARTER
300 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 12, 2008 15:18 |  #313

Jamie Holladay wrote in post #6866000 (external link)
I think professionalize is a good way to handle it. give the nice lady a business card or perhaps a promo card. That way she sees you as a working photographer. She might calm down enough to have a reasonable conversation. Then you can explain in detail you are not breaking any laws or her trust for that matter. Just a thought.

The problem for me here is that I do this as a hobby/for fun and I've only been doing it for a short while (photography that is, not upsetting Mum's! ;))

There are no promo cards, no business cards, just plain old me & my camera.

Mark <Croasdail> I think your comment (#305) pretty much sums the situation up ina very eloquent manner and you seem to have the closest understanding to where I am coming from and how I tried to act. Many thanks....

My FLICKR photos can be seen here - please feel free to comment.... (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 12, 2008 15:35 |  #314

You can get business cards on a personal level.

Your Name Photography
Phone
Email

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 12, 2008 16:06 |  #315

Can you get photography on a business card in the UK with out a license?
You can in the US but I know its not that way everywhere.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

sponsored links

27,842 views & 0 likes for this thread
Accused of being a paedophile!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.