Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Accused of being a paedophile!!!

this thread is locked
Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 13, 2008 08:43 as a reply to  @ post 6870127 |  #361

thebishopp wrote in post #6869578 (external link)
The path of least resistence.... in fact it is usually the path suggested and touted by those who do not have the strength of character or conviction to take a harder path (misery loves company).

I am a very pragmatic person, but overe the past few years I have discovered in my professional life (day job) that paragmatic does not always work well. Taking the path of least resistance is, in most part, is natural for many people. However it is not always the best course of action. That is not to say that it can't be the best course of action. If everyone took the path of water then nothing gets done and we all loose.

tiziano wrote in post #6869964 (external link)
Maybe this is a cultural difference... anyway, where I come from, it's the opposite: the coward one is the one that hits a mom with children.

I can agree with that. Violence is not the answer but standing up for what is right is always the right think. Like I tell myself, my salespeople and anyone else that needs to hear: It is all in presentation. If the lady in the OP post had presented herself well then the OP could have inturn presented himself well and more than likely we would not be having this conversation. It is not what you say but the way you say it.

Scuff wrote in post #6870070 (external link)
I have been accused of being a paedophile when taking pictures in a park. So I can relate first hand to the OP. As I said, I not a kid person, so they weren't the main subject. A woman, rushed over and started having an irrational go at me. I let her rant on for a while but remained calm, this annoyed her even more and she grabbed the front of my 500f4. It was then that she got told in no uncertain terms to desist or suffer the consequenses. She then backed off and yelled that she was calling the police. I gave her the phone number and waited for the police to arrive. In the end she was warned by the police and that any continuance on her part would leave her liable to arrest. After she calmed down I was able to explain to her exactly what I was up to and she apologised. If she asked at the beginning this would never have happened, if I had walked away, she would have told everyone that she had chased off a paedophile.

I will do whatever it takes to protect myself, family and property from irate people, but will not take the blame for instigating situations just because I am enjoying my hobby/profession perfectly legally. I will absolutely not stand for being accused of being any sort of criminal.

Good story, proper actions IMHO. which is about what I was trying to encourage folks to do in the language above.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
Croasdail
making stuff up
7,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 13, 2008 09:49 |  #362

I disagree... doesn't take much of a spine to be a victim. In fact it was the EASIEST course of action for the OP to take and he took it (mainly, based on his statement, of confusion, fear of repercussion, etc.).

The path of least resistence.... in fact it is usually the path suggested and touted by those who do not have the strength of character or conviction to take a harder path (misery loves company).

It is not spineless to disengage and fall back to a defendable position that you can win from. It has nothing to do with spine, or path of least resistance. Someone who has strength of character or conviction is going to pick a place of engagement where they are going to win, not just engage because they feel some need to show off moral superiority. Winning has nothing to do with character nor spin... it has everything to do with picking the right time and place to engage.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 13, 2008 11:35 |  #363

I have been accused of being a paedophile when taking pictures in a park. So I can relate first hand to the OP. As I said, I not a kid person, so they weren't the main subject. A woman, rushed over and started having an irrational go at me. I let her rant on for a while but remained calm, this annoyed her even more and she grabbed the front of my 500f4. It was then that she got told in no uncertain terms to desist or suffer the consequenses. She then backed off and yelled that she was calling the police. I gave her the phone number and waited for the police to arrive. In the end she was warned by the police and that any continuance on her part would leave her liable to arrest. After she calmed down I was able to explain to her exactly what I was up to and she apologised. If she asked at the beginning this would never have happened, if I had walked away, she would have told everyone that she had chased off a paedophile.

I will do whatever it takes to protect myself, family and property from irate people, but will not take the blame for instigating situations just because I am enjoying my hobby/profession perfectly legally. I will absolutely not stand for being accused of being any sort of criminal.

Not judging anyone here, just giving another view and example. Just don't let bullies walk all over you. Either know your rights and stand up for them yourself, or call the police to assist.

This is the exact situational response I've been trying to advocate.

Thank you.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Dec 13, 2008 17:24 |  #364

With 30 years on the front line of law enforcement, you learn very quickly that irate people are very difficult to deal with, there is no reasoning with them.

I have been accused of being a paedophile...if I had walked away, she would have told everyone that she had chased off a paedophile.

I will absolutely not stand for being accused of being any sort of criminal.

They cannot make you delete pictures, touch your camera or stop you from taking pictures of them or anything else in a public place.

Looks like this is pretty much "a wrap".

I think you've clearly stated enough (professional?) facts to allow us all to deal with this type of situation if/when it happens. Thank you.

#1 Know the law.

#2 Do not allow bullies/over-protective people to take away basic rights.

3# Remain as calm as possible.

Let's hope we can all benefit from this thread, and improve the general public's opinion of photographers.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 13, 2008 17:40 |  #365

Croasdail wrote in post #6870427 (external link)
It is not spineless to disengage and fall back to a defendable position that you can win from. It has nothing to do with spine, or path of least resistance. Someone who has strength of character or conviction is going to pick a place of engagement where they are going to win, not just engage because they feel some need to show off moral superiority. Winning has nothing to do with character nor spin... it has everything to do with picking the right time and place to engage.

You are right in that if your intent is to fall back to a defendable position in which you can win from, or at least give an opponent a good "what for". What I am speaking out against is falling back for reasons other than to continue the fight (if this makes any sense to you). It is one thing to "reposition" for strategic reasons, and quite another to "retreat" because of fear. There are quite a few that do the latter and try to claim it as the former for pride reasons.

As Scuff stated, he had a similiar experience but did not back down and instead stood his ground and had the woman call the police (in fact I totally agree how he handled the situation).

Despite some of the naysayers here, about how once the "P" word is used they are autmatically going to be arrested so they should just retreat, the police, in scuff's case, warned the woman! After she was warned by the PD and calmed down he was then able to explain things to her. His actions "count" for "standing up for yourself" despite his risk of arrest.

It's not always about winning (there are many different forms of victory) and has nothing to do with "moral" superiority, it's about standing up when you know you are right regardless of the consequences (keep in mind standing up doesn't neccesarily mean you have to pull out a gun or weapon or INITIATE a physical assault as some people seem to think).

Someone with strength of character and conviction will do so, someone without it will base his actions SOLEY on his ability to win (and we wouldn't have moments in history such as Thermopylae).

Here is a good quote:

“Your true character is revealed by the clarity of your convictions, the choices you make, and the promises you keep. Hold strongly to your principles and refuse to follow the currents of convenience. What you say and do defines who you are, and who you are, you are forever.”

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 13, 2008 18:06 |  #366

I agree with scuff (I skimmed through his post, so I won't say I completely agree).

I have no problem defending myself against anyone; I am not a coward.

Christian

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2008 18:19 |  #367

It seems easy on this thread to confuse cowardice and adulthood.

It is very important how you choose a reaction.

BTW, everyone's a lion on a keyboard.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

timmyeatchips
336 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 13, 2008 18:37 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #368

The situation is sadly more confused these days - there are many things the woman could have accused mystery machine of and it would be easy for him to stand up and defend himself. But an accusation like paedophile - if there is any kind of fuss kicked up and the news spreads around - even when everyone learns it is a false accusation and he has not broken any laws at all in taking or publishing the pics - he still ends up in his local community associated with that accusation.

The general public are stupid, and cruel.

So sometimes, it's not worth it.

Canon EOS 450D | Canon 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 50mm | 430EX

equetefue
Goldmember
1,603 posts
Gallery: 230 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 13, 2008 19:10 |  #369

you are calmer than I am. If someone walks towards me like that, they'll be kissing the ground no questions asked.

You want to be in a public place that's the cost of it, and i'm in the right to take pictures. NOW... if someone asked me nicely for me not to take pics I would more than gladly agree.

http://www.Photo-Galleria.com (external link)