Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2008 (Friday) 13:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Diference between XS and XSi

friz
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 02, 2009 17:57 |  #16

It's funny how people equate weight with quality. I prefer the manufacturer to leave out the weights that are sometimes added to the cases of consumer electronics to give a quality "feel". I heard the same crap when I was researching my P&S. People were bashing the light feel of the Lumix FZ7. Myself I thought - Great! Less to accelerate it to the ground if I drop it. I held the 40D and prefered the light feel of the XSi. To each his own.

sponsored links
bluefox9er
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Location: UK,don't move ehre,it rains a lot, it's incredibly violent and the women pee standing up..

Jan 02, 2009 18:00 |  #17

if money isn't the overriding factor, id say go with a 40d every time if you are a first time buyer, persevere with the learning curve and be rewarded with a great camera.

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157602​470636767/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com …ctions/72157604​292148339/ (external link)
Canon EOS 1d mk III, Canon EOS 5d,Canon EOS 400d, 24-70 mm F2.8 L, ef 24-105 F4 L IS, ef 17-40 mm F4 L, 70-200 mm f2.8 IS L, 100-400 mm IS L, 50mmm f1.8, 85mmf1.8mm, ef 35 mm f1.4L, ef 135 mm f2 L,Canon Powershot G9, Epson p400-, hyperdrive space 120gb

SpeedkingXSi
258 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 06, 2009 15:14 |  #18

friz wrote in post #6990898 (external link)
It's funny how people equate weight with quality. I prefer the manufacturer to leave out the weights that are sometimes added to the cases of consumer electronics to give a quality "feel". I heard the same crap when I was researching my P&S. People were bashing the light feel of the Lumix FZ7. Myself I thought - Great! Less to accelerate it to the ground if I drop it. I held the 40D and prefered the light feel of the XSi. To each his own.

weight vs. quality issue means
the alloy metal body weather proved vs the plastics with no water seals =(

(I have the XSi, personally I preferred it over the professional models b/c of it's light weight and smaller in size, but again...it's not weather proven you can't take it out on a misty/foggy day or if you're suddenly caught in a storm...then you'd have to pray that your camera is completely covered up or put away or your warranty is still in effect)

people don't associate weight vs quality PURELY on how heavy it is

Mayhem #1021875 (external link)

snakekid
373 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 19, 2009 01:46 |  #19

dsldub wrote in post #6990727 (external link)
Well, I took the plunge and bought an XSi + accessory kit online over the weekend. Included is a grip, extra battery and a Lowepro bag.
BestBuy had a pretty good deal on them during boxing week.
I'm now waiting for it.

best buy never has a good deal

-Will
40d, tamron 17-50mm, 85mm 1.8. a ton of flashes and cybersyncs.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2009 02:17 |  #20

friz wrote in post #6990898 (external link)
Myself I thought - Great! Less to accelerate it to the ground if I drop it. I held the 40D and prefered the light feel of the XSi. To each his own.

For the record, all objects fall at the same acceleration...but it'll hit the ground with less force. :p

As for XS vs XSi, I like spot metering.

Mrs. ­ G.
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 19, 2009 07:16 |  #21

I recently bought the XS with the luxury accessory kit... Battery grip, extra battery, and a lowepro bag.... all this for $499 Canadian dollars... It was a no brainer for me... I have been shooting with an S5is for a year... and this made sense. And the battery grip really makes a difference in the whole feel of the camera...

My P&S camera only shot at 1.5/sec in Jpg...

Personally I don't think the difference between the XSi and the XS warrants the difference in money.. if you are that concerned about features... I think the 40D is the better bet.

tanukiki
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 19, 2009 10:11 |  #22

bluefox9er wrote in post #6990921 (external link)
if money isn't the overriding factor, id say go with a 40d every time if you are a first time buyer, persevere with the learning curve and be rewarded with a great camera.

I was of the same mindset but unfortunately money was a big factor and if I had held out for the 40D, I would probably be waiting for another 6-12 months. My DH bought the XSi for me instead for Christmas at my request and I am in love. Maybe a few years from now I'll go up the chain but for now I am quite content with my XSi and trying to buy some more glass.

Canon Rebel XSi, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2009 12:54 as a reply to  @ tanukiki's post |  #23

OK, so I'm looking at these for the wife... I'll be selling my 40D for one of these 2, but it's not an easy choice. Looking at dpreview's reviews the XS seems to be a tad better in terms of high ISO noise and the features the XSi adds really aren't crucial... MP, who cares about 12-vs-10, especially when the 10 gives you less noise. So, is the price difference worth it for the rubber grips, the better LCD and ??. Ugh, I'm torn.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2009 13:05 |  #24

Jannie wrote in post #7110681 (external link)
How does the XSi's sensor size compare to the G10?

The XS and XSI have the same sensor size as all 1.6x crop cameras, which is 22.2 x 14.8 mm , or 328 mm².

The G10 has a very large sensor for a compact, but it is still only 7.60 x 5.70 mm or 43mm²

So that is almost 8x larger by area.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2009 14:44 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #25

the G10 wins at ISO 80 and maybe 100 provided the lens it's got gets the job done. Above that the rebel will kill it or if any different lenses are needed.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Piye
46 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 19, 2009 15:31 |  #26

XS all day.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2009 18:32 |  #27

jacobsen1 wrote in post #7111405 (external link)
the G10 wins at ISO 80 and maybe 100 provided the lens it's got gets the job done.

Where did you get that silly idea?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

wiliam00
122 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 19, 2009 19:22 |  #28

I used to pulling hair for days deciding between these two, XSi and XS, especially when the price is very close, less than $200 during the holidays. But now i have the XS and very happy with it.
Bought a Vertical grip holds 2 batteries, a speedlite, the 40D lens (28-135IS), and the nifty fifty, and now I had some photos that I'm proud of. Personally, I don't take photographs for a living, at least not yet, so there's no need to spends too much on a body for me. When I'm ready, the 5D Mark II is my choice. But for now, I think it's better to spend that $200 investing on lenses and equipments. Those do make differences.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lamhuynhstudio/ (external link)

aprevo15
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 22, 2009 10:39 |  #29

after reading this thread, i feel comfortable at the choice i made. i just bought a xs and i love it. i am very new to photography so i won't know all the features for awhile but so far i am enjoying taking pics.

i never realized taking pics was this much fun. i am hooked.

theGTIguy
30 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 22, 2009 11:17 as a reply to  @ aprevo15's post |  #30

You can also utilize an external flash through in camera menus on an XSi as well as the highlight tone priority option, if you would use it. To me, the $100 more I paid for my XSi was wisely spent over the XS. Though being a first time SLR shooter, I am sure anyone would fall in love with their first camera. ;)

450D _ 24-85 USM _ 55-250 IS _ 430ex ii

sponsored links

12,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
Diference between XS and XSi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.