Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 14 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 06:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MMA Shoot/Poor Lighting

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2008 06:30 |  #1

Local comp. Friday night and the lighting was atrocious. Uneven strength and the only real vantage point I could shoot from had no rear lighting at all, hence the strong shadows. C+C appreciated.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2008 06:31 |  #2

...and two more....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

bob-e
572 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2008 12:09 |  #3

I'd like to see ISO to help with C&C. At least you didn't have to shoot through a cage on top of the lighting issues ;) When will they learn to light these fights better?

Fitty Dee, 30D, 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ 10mm 2.8 FE, Σ 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, 70-200 F4L, 430EX

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2008 13:12 |  #4

bob-e wrote in post #6876624 (external link)
I'd like to see ISO to help with C&C. At least you didn't have to shoot through a cage on top of the lighting issues ;) When will they learn to light these fights better?

The first was iso 800, the rest iso 1000. Didnt want to go higher than that as the noise would be terrible. All shot at 1/320 second. Not ideal but the lighting was that bad. The front strobe was incandescent, the 2 side ones were white hence the different colouring in the shots. I actually had to leave after the second fight so I missed the higher class, full contact fights. Hopefully next time. ;)

bob-e
572 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2008 13:41 |  #5

What camera do you use? I used ISO3200 with my 30D and the noise was tolerable. Even with ISO3200, I couldn't get faster than 1/180 (the lights were really dreadful). You could probably push these pics a bit in post and brighten them up a bit. Got any more?

Fitty Dee, 30D, 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ 10mm 2.8 FE, Σ 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, 70-200 F4L, 430EX

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 14, 2008 16:14 |  #6

bob-e wrote in post #6877091 (external link)
What camera do you use? I used ISO3200 with my 30D and the noise was tolerable. Even with ISO3200, I couldn't get faster than 1/180 (the lights were really dreadful). You could probably push these pics a bit in post and brighten them up a bit. Got any more?

I was using a Nikon D80 (notorious for noise at higher iso :mad:) and 50mm f1.8. I went with 1/320 to try freeze as much as I could of the action but still get some motion blur. 1/180 would have been way to slow. Seriously, the lighting was woeful, the placement of the light source and the strength of it. Im surprised the fighters didnt struggle (maybe they did) cos from the rear of the ring they would have been looking into the light with no rear light to illuminate the fighter in front of them. No chance of seeing a sneeky uppercut if it was thrown! At least in your shots the lighting looks a bit more uniform. And I tried to use my wide f4 lens - I needed to go to 1/80 at iso 1600 to get it exposed properly.... it was that bad!!

bob-e
572 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 14, 2008 19:56 |  #7

conkeroo wrote in post #6877827 (external link)
I was using a Nikon D80 (notorious for noise at higher iso :mad:)

Oh I see. Solution, get a Canon:p

sponsored links

951 views & 0 likes for this thread
MMA Shoot/Poor Lighting
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.