Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Dec 2008 (Monday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cleaning Lens Hood - No Duck

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 15, 2008 17:32 |  #1

So the delivery man just made a second round and delivered my 24-70L. First impressions, WOW the lens hood is so darn clean compared to my other lens hoods. I immediately threw it back in the bag :X. I just drenched my 17-40 hood in water to remove all the dust bunnies. I mean I'm sure when it dries the dust bunnies will still be there, but for now it looks pretty darn new :D. So how do you clean the hood? I mean not that it matters, but having something to compare to sucks.

Moving on, I haven't had a real chance to test out the 24-70. I was chasing my cat around and I eventually got tired. She's super friendly but hates my camera, she keeps turning away. It must be the flash. No problems with focusing and pretty darn sharp at f/2.8. I find the focusing a tad slower, I didn't realize it was "macro" as well. I wish there was a focus limiter. I can't wait to test it out in the real world.

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 15, 2008 19:16 |  #2

Clean outside or inside of the hood? Outside - damp cloth, Inside - tooth brush.

GEAR LIST

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 15, 2008 19:22 |  #3

Inside, thanks. Any solutions on it or just use a dry brush?

BKGInc
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 10, 2009 17:51 as a reply to  @ ooo's post |  #4

This is actually a good question.............I was wondering how to clean it also. I will try the toothbrush technique.

5DSR Gripped | 24-70 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L |600EX-RT |
Zenfolio (external link)
facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 10, 2009 18:19 |  #5

Cleaning a lens hood? Honestly? You're not joking?

I clean my lenses, but I've never ever bothered cleaning my lens hood. :shock:

BiLL

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 10, 2009 19:26 |  #6

Oh yes, everyone knows that you have to clean the lens hood. You have to clean it to get rid of all of the boyz in there.:p

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 10, 2009 19:30 as a reply to  @ ozziepuppy's post |  #7

LOL!

um is it flock-lined? if not, soapy water should work fine
otherwise id be careful about detaching the lining from the plastic - but hey i guess you could always glue it back in...

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 10, 2009 21:54 |  #8

Don't use the flash when photographing cats. They learn to turn away from the camera when they see it. Cats hold more still than people. Just turn the ISO up and support the camera.

Photo Gear

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,955 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 11, 2009 15:37 |  #9

If it's not flocked inside, put it on the top shelf of the dishwasher. Use a rinse agent as well as detergent.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2009 15:44 as a reply to  @ number six's post |  #10

All I've ever used is a damp cloth to clean the outside and a strip sticky tape (sellotape) to removed all the debris that get stuck to the flock on the inside. I got the idea from my wife who bought one on those sticky rollers which are designed to get animal hairs off clothes.

Steve.

Gear List

BKGInc
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 11, 2009 16:40 |  #11

gofer wrote in post #7053988 (external link)
All I've ever used is a damp cloth to clean the outside and a strip sticky tape (sellotape) to removed all the debris that get stuck to the flock on the inside. I got the idea from my wife who bought one on those sticky rollers which are designed to get animal hairs off clothes.

That's a marvelous idea! Thanks!

5DSR Gripped | 24-70 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L |600EX-RT |
Zenfolio (external link)
facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 11, 2009 16:45 |  #12

gofer wrote in post #7053988 (external link)

Yep, lint roller or some masking tape wrapped around your hand, inside out of course.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links

2,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cleaning Lens Hood - No Duck
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.