Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 01:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you went from 5D to 5D II, GET IN HERE

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2008 01:12 |  #1

Alright so at risk of posting another 5D vs. 5D II thread, I wanted to ask you specific owners a few questions:

Are you happy with your new purchase? More specifically, are you happy you upgraded? I want to know if maybe you felt like the 5D II was a "meh" upgrade to your old 5D. Did you feel like maybe you could accomplish the same photos with your 5D classic over your 5D II?

Im not trying to start any kind of debate thread, really. I am debating on picking up the 5D II in the spring or saving a lot of cash and getting a 5D classic. Ive learned the hard way that no one wants to hire a photographer who shoots exclusively film.

Thanks!

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links
franklinn
previously 'CorporationMe'
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2008 01:19 as a reply to  @ post 6887322 |  #2

Great thread IMO. I'm interested in the opinions of others as well on this matter.

Frank | 5D MK II
| 35 1.4L | Marketplace Feedback

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 01:23 as a reply to  @ post 6887322 |  #3

While we wait for the mods to work their magic - how do you like the 50L, JAcosta? I am getting a 35L soon (i.e. this month) but I can't seem to find a bloody normal lens that I like...

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2008 01:27 |  #4

perryge wrote in post #6887337 (external link)
While we wait for the mods to work their magic - how do you like the 50L, JAcosta? I am getting a 35L soon (i.e. this month) but I can't seem to find a bloody normal lens that I like...

Well lets just say Ive contemplated welding it to the front of my 1V. I love it. It really is the only lens I ever shoot with now-a-days. I cant say enough good things about it. I think you'll like the 35L. I shot with one for a day (borrowed it from a friend) and its a great f/l. I wouldnt want to own a 35L and a 50L. Too close IMO and too much money for similar f/l.

^^^Click Here^^^

franklinn
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2008 01:30 |  #5

perryge wrote in post #6887337 (external link)

You're getting the 35L already?? You only just got the 85L ! Work must be going well I presume ;)

Frank | 5D MK II

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 01:34 |  #6

JAcosta wrote in post #6887356 (external link)
Well lets just say Ive contemplated welding it to the front of my 1V. I love it. It really is the only lens I ever shoot with now-a-days. I cant say enough good things about it. I think you'll like the 35L. I shot with one for a day (borrowed it from a friend) and its a great f/l. I wouldnt want to own a 35L and a 50L. Too close IMO and too much money for similar f/l.

It's true, they're very close...but I really like both focal lengths :lol:. I think I prefer a little more width for most purposes, but I do love the normal FL. I know how you feel about the welding. The 85L hasn't come off my 5D since I got it. Well it came off once - when I tried a 35L.

franklinn wrote in post #6887370 (external link)
You're getting the 35L already?? You only just got the 85L ! Work must be going well I presume ;)

I'm a student :p, but yes, the TA job plus other work pays decently well as long as I don't waste money on other crap. I tried a 35L the other day and it blew me away. Maybe even more so than the 85L. I gotta stop trying these lenses out....

Really I live like a bum because I spend all my disposable cash on gear :lol:.

Edit: Anyway I've really gotta stop hijacking threads. The thread hijacking is always twice as bad when you're around, Frank. :lol:

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 16, 2008 01:45 |  #7

My original post got deleted in the merging of the threads -_-, so let me repeat it.

Unless ISO3200 is periodically insufficient for what you shoot, there's nothing the 5DII can do that the 5D classic can't (no cheeky comments about video). So if you're on a budget, I'd definitely go with the classic 5D. No question the MKII is a better camera, but the classic still is an incredible camera, and at half the price (if you buy used), it represents far better value for money. Especially since you shoot film, things like the better LCD on the MKII aren't gonna sway you too much.

franklinn
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2008 02:30 |  #8

perryge wrote in post #6887381 (external link)
Edit: Anyway I've really gotta stop hijacking threads. The thread hijacking is always twice as bad when you're around, Frank. :lol:

Hahaahaha :lol: Classic scenario eh Perry?

perryge wrote in post #6887406 (external link)
My original post got deleted in the merging of the threads -_-, so let me repeat it.

Unless ISO3200 is periodically insufficient for what you shoot, there's nothing the 5DII can do that the 5D classic can't (no cheeky comments about video). So if you're on a budget, I'd definitely go with the classic 5D. No question the MKII is a better camera, but the classic still is an incredible camera, and at half the price (if you buy used), it represents far better value for money. Especially since you shoot film, things like the better LCD on the MKII aren't gonna sway you too much.

Good point. I'm curious to see how others are experiencing this upgrade, but I know for certain that I won't be making the upgrade. For the price I'd have to pay over the classic there is nothing that the MK II offers that I would need/want that could justify the price difference. That's me speaking subjectively about myself and only myself of course.

Frank | 5D MK II

erure
106 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 16, 2008 03:10 |  #9

I used the 5D for about 7 months before selling it to get the 5D Mark II. Although I'm no professional, I felt the 5D Mark II improved a lot and is justifiable to get as long as you can afford it -- the LCD screen alone makes such a difference, not to mention the low lighting performance. I suppose it really depends on budget -- if you can afford the 5D Mark II, then get the 5D Mark II and if you can't, then get 5D Classic. During the two months without either 5D's, I worried that the 5D Mark II wouldn't be worth getting and that I'll regret selling the 5D Classic -- I can say that I worried for nothing.

Complete Gear List

fashioneyes
562 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 16, 2008 04:04 |  #10

The Mark 2 is everything I was wanting and expecting.

I love the LCD, it just in another world compared to the original 5D.

I love the wireless speedlite control too in camera ... SOOooooo much easier than messing around with the back of the flashgun.

I love the ISO3200 performance, it's very usable ... not convinced anything beyond this is that usable though.

having said all of that ... the 5D classic still produces amazing images.

1D4, 7D, 5D2 + L lenses
Links: Jepson Photography (external link) / Model Portfolio (external link)
A-Plant BSB Team (external link)

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2008 05:21 |  #11

Thank you for your responses erure and fashineyes. So no buyers regret at all?

Anyone else?

^^^Click Here^^^

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2008 05:24 |  #12

fashioneyes wrote in post #6887673 (external link)
I love the wireless speedlite control too in camera ... SOOooooo much easier than messing around with the back of the flashgun.

Am I hallucinating? There isn't any wireless speedlite control, is there?

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 16, 2008 05:33 |  #13

TheHoff wrote in post #6887840 (external link)

Yeah of course its there. Other features you might not know about:
- It files your taxes
- Defragments your hard drive
- Tucks you in your bed at night
- Changes your car oil
- Organizes your movie collection

Im sure there are more, I just cant remember. Its a very versatile camera.

^^^Click Here^^^

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 16, 2008 05:39 |  #14

TheHoff wrote in post #6887840 (external link)

It's right there with the 45 point AF assist from the 1 series bodies.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 16, 2008 05:42 |  #15

JeffreyG wrote in post #6887875 (external link)
It's right there with the 45 point AF assist from the 1 series bodies.

I thought it was a funny line if sarcastic, but the rest of the post didn't fit...

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links

4,844 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you went from 5D to 5D II, GET IN HERE
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.