Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quirks questions for Sigma EF-530 DG super owners

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 16, 2008 21:42 |  #1

I've noticed a few quirky things with the Sigma EF-530 DG Super flash unit that I recently acquired and wanted to check with other owners to see if these are typical.

1. In eTTL slave mode one can set the "Slave Unit ID" to 1, 2, or 3 which are equivalent to the Canon slave ID of A, B, or C respectively. This is in the Sigma manual on p. 21. What I have noticed is that if you select ID = 2 or 3 you are OK as long as you never change the mode away from eTTL slave mode. As soon as you change the mode the ID goes to 1 even if you cycle back to eTTL slave mode. So moral: set it and don't cycle through other modes or you will have your Slave ID reset back to 1.

2. I have a 580EXII that I use as a master, but also checked out if the Sigma could be a master (as advertised) on-camera and the Canon as a slave (don't ask why I would want to do this, I was just curious). Anyways, the Sigma is not recognized as a "master" by my 40D body the way the Canon 580EXII is.

With the Canon as a master, a new menu option "Wireless" appears under the "Flash control" option where I can set flash ratios for eTTL and manual flash power(s) for flashes in groups A, B, C directly with the menu controls in the 40D body.

With the Sigma as a master, the "Wireless" menu option under "Flash control" does not appear. I have to use the buttons and LCD on the Sigma itself to set these parameters.

3. Furthermore, on the Sigma the "flash ratio" of ID 1 to ID 2 only goes from 8:1 to 1:1 while the manual states on p. 22 that it goes from 8:1 to 1:1 to 1:8.

4. I cannot get LCD to appear like the first figure on p. 21 of the manual. I get a single (1) lightning icon directly under the first T of eTTL instead of the big/small double lightning icon. When I switch to slave mode, I get the double lightning icon and the SL letters to indicate wireless slave mode. I attribute this discrepancy between the manual and the flash unit to the lack of an update to the manual.

So for other Sigma owners, does the above match your experiences as well? I'm just curious if I have missed something which is easy to do when all you've got is the Sigma manual. (I did figure out the "press and hold Sel for 2 seconds" to switch to Manual master mode (p. 23).

Thanks for any comments and responses!

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 17, 2008 08:53 |  #2

I've never tried myself, but your experience with the Sigma not working as a master with the Canon as slave is a fairly familiar story.

40Dude6aedyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 17, 2008 08:58 |  #3

mbellot wrote in post #6895305 (external link)
I've never tried myself, but your experience with the Sigma not working as a master with the Canon as slave is a fairly familiar story.

The Sigma does work as a master with the Canon as a slave as I detailed in my post. I must use the controls on the Sigma to control the slaves, but cannot use the 40D camera body to control the slaves.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 17, 2008 11:17 |  #4

When I first got my 530 Super, I tried it as a slave to the 580EX II, and it seemed to work fine, but I never really experimented with it much.

I found it much easier to use my 580EX II in manual with an extended OC-E3 cord and then used the optical slave feature of the 530 Super. I also have a 3rd small optical slave flash that I usually use for fill, background, or highlights.

All three flashes are on light stands with umbrellas, and I can access the 580EX II via my 40D's on-board menu to make power adjustments. With the 530 Super I have to walk over to it to make adjustments and the third flash just fires at full power, but it is only about GN28.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

40Dude6aedyk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 17, 2008 11:40 |  #5

Mike, thanks so much for the response.

msowsun wrote in post #6896116 (external link)
..., and I can access the 580EX II via my 40D's on-board menu to make power adjustments. With the 530 Super I have to walk over to it to make adjustments and the third flash just fires at full power, but it is only about GN28.

Hmmm, I have found that I can control the 530Super slave in manual mode from the 40D's on-board computer, but I guess that cannot work for you, since I believe the 40D tells the 580EX master to tell the Sigma530 slave what to do by a pre-flash.

While messing around last night, I think I counted 11 different modes that the Sigma530 can operate in. :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,009 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quirks questions for Sigma EF-530 DG super owners
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.