Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Dec 2008 (Thursday) 20:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

35mm slides->digital. need scanner recommendations

iceman1
467 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2008 20:15 |  #1

My grandparents have quite a few 35mm film slides they would like to convert to digital format. I'm not sure if they are looking to print any, but I would guess they wouldn't print any larger than 4x6 in most cases, if they would decide to. I went through a couple of threads but didn't see a lot of model recommendations. Without ever using one before, what model or type would you recommend, with ease of use being the primary goal? The Epson 4490 looks like it could do the job and isn't all that pricey. There are also many others that look similar to the Plustek Technology OpticFilm 7200i SE. The 4490 seems to be rather popular though.

Gear & Feedback

Choosing the right LCD monitor (external link)
Zenfolio referral code: X5J-8S5-9RX
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=866503

sponsored links
dashotgun
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2008 20:20 |  #2

here is an alternative
http://www.scancafe.co​m/ (external link)

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams
http://Davidsdigitalvi​sion.zenfolio.com (external link)

iceman1
THREAD ­ STARTER
467 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 18, 2008 20:30 |  #3

dashotgun wrote in post #6905801 (external link)
here is an alternative
http://www.scancafe.co​m/ (external link)

Thanks! I haven't seen this site before. This might be a better option than getting a scanner.

Gear & Feedback

Choosing the right LCD monitor (external link)
Zenfolio referral code: X5J-8S5-9RX
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=866503

DrPablo
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 18, 2008 20:33 |  #4

Look at this selection at B&H. You definitely would rather have a dedicated slide scanner than a flatbed like the 4490.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …sories_Film_Sca​nners.html (external link)

Canon 5D Mark IV, 24-105L II, 17 TS-E f/4L, MPE 65, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, 100 f/2.8L, 135 f/2L, 70-200 f/4L, 400 L
Film gear: Agfa 8x10, Cambo 4x5, Noblex 150, Hasselblad 500 C/M

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Dec 21, 2008 03:15 |  #5

ScanCafe seems like a great business idea but unfortunately it is only available in US.
Seems like the Pacific Image 3650 would be the answer for us fergners with thousands of slides and not so much time. 800 dollars...plus postage plus customs.

Scan Cafe has a great business idea there, don´t they!

bag

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 21, 2008 03:16 |  #6

get silverfast software with whatever slide scanner you get because it has the best colour correction module out there and gives fantastic results

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,569 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 21, 2008 06:25 |  #7

iceman1 wrote in post #6905769 (external link)
My grandparents have quite a few 35mm film slides they would like to convert to digital format. I'm not sure if they are looking to print any, but I would guess they wouldn't print any larger than 4x6 in most cases, if they would decide to. I went through a couple of threads but didn't see a lot of model recommendations. Without ever using one before, what model or type would you recommend, with ease of use being the primary goal? The Epson 4490 looks like it could do the job and isn't all that pricey. There are also many others that look similar to the Plustek Technology OpticFilm 7200i SE. The 4490 seems to be rather popular though.

Look at the v700 Epson. I use it to scan my 6x17cm tranny's and its quality is unbelievable . Sometimes I cant even pick the diifference in quality between my labs $20,000 Imacon Scanner files and the v700 file of the same shot its that good!

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 21, 2008 06:35 |  #8

I like the Nikon Coolscan range of dedicated 4000ppi 35mm film scanners. Really bullet proof kit as you'd expect from a quality camera manufacturer. Sadly NikonScan is crap, but Silverfast and Vuescan are viable alternative software solutions.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 21, 2008 09:20 |  #9

Another happy Nikon Coolscan V and Vuescan owner here :)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 21, 2008 10:46 |  #10

Scancafe.com -- negative & slide scanning service

I'm not sure if they are looking to print any, but I would guess they wouldn't print any larger than 4x6 in most cases,

We did a lot of dupe work for film with a Bowens Illumitran (external link) way back when. I've seen them on ebay for $15 - $50, & for this purpose (web), it would probably work well & be a lot faster than a scanner. Some scanners come with dust removal software, & trust me on this, that's a big selling point. ;)
http://forums.dpreview​.com …rum=1014&messag​e=16932153 (external link)
http://www.prophotohom​e.com …al-camera-vs-scanner.html (external link)

OTOH, if you're adventurous & like to build things, maybe buy a nice macro lens & try something like this for the web use:
See post #23 Do you Cobble? (Slide duplicator)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 21, 2008 20:57 |  #11

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=58609

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 22, 2008 11:12 |  #12

PhotosGuy wrote in post #6920257 (external link)
We did a lot of dupe work for film with a Bowens Illumitran (external link) way back when. I've seen them on ebay for $15 - $50, & for this purpose (web), it would probably work well & be a lot faster than a scanner. Some scanners come with dust removal software, & trust me on this, that's a big selling point. ...OTOH, if you're adventurous & like to build things, maybe buy a nice macro lens & try something like this for the web use:
See post #23 Do you Cobble?(Slide duplicator)

The difficulty in using a slide dublicator is that it is designed to replicate a 24x36mm film area onto a a 24x36mm film area...1:1
If you tried to use such a device with an APS-C dSLR, you would only be capturing the central 15 x 22mm (approx) section of the original slide to the APS-C sensor!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

vondo
374 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 22, 2008 16:48 |  #13

For another service, I've used digmypics.com and really like their service.

I also checked into doing this myself (and tried to do some of it) and quickly decided I'd rather have it done professionally than muck around with scanning and dust correction and...

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 40D, Elan 7E, EOS 10s, G12
50 f/1.8, 100 f/2, 400 f/5.6L,
18-55 IS, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/4L IS
Kenko 1.4x T-con, 430EX

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 22, 2008 16:57 |  #14

Paying someone else to do it will always be quicker and certainly no dearer than doing it oneself. The trouble is that the quality depends on someone who : may be hungover, have lost a boy/girlfriend, has a cold, been made redundant, generally cannot be bothered to do the job properly.

Home scanning is not quick, its not easy. But you get the results if you are prepared to put the effort in.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 22, 2008 21:39 |  #15

The difficulty in using a slide dublicator is that it is designed to replicate a 24x36mm film area onto a a 24x36mm film area...1:1
If you tried to use such a device with an APS-C dSLR, you would only be capturing the central 15 x 22mm (approx) section of the original slide to the APS-C sensor!

That might be true with some fixed duplicators, but the Bowens Illumitran has a wide range of adjustments, both in subject to lens distance, & bellows extension.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

4,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
35mm slides->digital. need scanner recommendations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.