Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Dec 2008 (Friday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using two 580's off camera

bmynbr
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 19, 2008 10:44 |  #1

Just wondering if with one cybersync reciever, you can fire two flashes.
I was thinking of two ways.
1-get a splitter for the sync cable
2-not sure if you can, but a 580 in master mode and manual, and the other in slave and manual.

Not sure if you can put a 580 in master or slave while in manual.
Sorry I didn't look it up, but I don't have a manual with me.

Thanks guys, Dave

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

http://www.treklens.co​m/members/BMYNBR/photo​s/ (external link)

sponsored links
40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 19, 2008 11:24 |  #2

I think an issue is that if you are using cybersyncs, then both 580's are slaves to the cybersync transmitter.

If you have 580 as a master, then your camera can control whether it is manual or eTTL mode. As long as the slave is in slave mode (duh!), it will do whatever the master tells it to do. Thus if master is in manual mode, slave is in manual mode and if master is in eTTL mode, then slave is in eTTL mode. With cybersyncs, you ain't got eTTL mode.

For a 580ex to be a master, doesn't it have to be attached to your camera (hotshoe or hotshoe cord)?

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 19, 2008 14:17 |  #3

bmynbr wrote in post #6908807 (external link)
Just wondering if with one cybersync reciever, you can fire two flashes.
I was thinking of two ways.
1-get a splitter for the sync cable
2-not sure if you can, but a 580 in master mode and manual, and the other in slave and manual.

Not sure if you can put a 580 in master or slave while in manual.
Sorry I didn't look it up, but I don't have a manual with me.

Thanks guys, Dave

1 is doable although, if you're going to be using a splitter and a long sync cable to connect the flashes to the receiver, you could just as well connect the flashes directly to the camera, too.

2 is also doable as long as the master, as you said, is in manual master mode. The slave can be either in manual mode, in which case, its power level is set on the slave, or it can be in ETTL mode, in which case, its power level will need to be set via the master using the ratio feature on the master. Since the two flashes are going to be talking to each other using IR, this setup will not be very effective outdoors in bright sunlight.

One other caveat with this setup is that the usable max sync speed will need to be dropped by one Ev, e.g. from 1/250 to 1/125.

...Leo

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2008 11:16 |  #4

PacAce wrote in post #6910105 (external link)
2 is also doable as long as the master, as you said, is in manual master mode. The slave can be either in manual mode, in which case, its power level is set on the slave, or it can be in ETTL mode, in which case, its power level will need to be set via the master using the ratio feature on the master. Since the two flashes are going to be talking to each other using IR, this setup will not be very effective outdoors in bright sunlight.

That is exactly what I was wondering. I wasn't sure if I could use it as a master and a slave in manual off camera. I do not want to use ettl, so this makes me happy:D
Thanks, Dave

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 11:27 |  #5

FWIW, I took my 580EXII off-camera and left it in master mode. I used the controls and LCD to adjust its settings (manual mode) and the setting my slave flash. I pressed the "test" button and both flashes work as expected. Hence it appears that the 580EXII will work as an off-camera flash. Note, the slave flash was in eTTL mode, so that it would accept and use the manual mode settings made for it by the master flash.

Canon 40D; Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8L IS, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 85 mm f/1.8; 580EX II; Sigma EF-530 DG Super; CyberSyncs

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 20, 2008 12:10 |  #6

40dude, thanks for trying it out. Glad to hear that it works.
Dave

40Dude6aedyk
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 20, 2008 12:21 as a reply to  @ bmynbr's post |  #7

Actually, why don't you try it out with your cybersyncs and let us know what worked? Or is all that kit in your signature line just a wish list?

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 20, 2008 15:08 |  #8

bmynbr wrote in post #6915308 (external link)
40dude, thanks for trying it out. Glad to hear that it works.
Dave

There's no question that it'll work since this method is "old hat" that's been discussed lots of times in this forum and is referred to as "hybrid triggering", a term coined by Lon, the FlashZebra man. :)

However, I should note that in order to use this triggering method, you will need a hotshoe adapter to connect the flash to your remote receiver as the PC port of the 580EX II, assuming that's what you have, is disabled in master-manual mode.

...Leo

sponsored links

1,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using two 580's off camera
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.