Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 21 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something I learned today...about the 400L f/2.8

jamesb84
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 21, 2008 11:19 |  #1

OK,

So I was in Jessops in Cardiff (the only one with a Pro Centre, and actually a pretty good one at that).

Mentioned that I was looking to buy the 400L at some point and he did a stock check and the lens comes up as "obsolete" on their computer.

There are apparently only 2 things that cause this;

1. Jessops have decided to stop stocking the lens (which is apparently UNLIKELY as they sell quite a few of these)

2. Canon have commenced construction of the new/replacement 400L lens.

A quick call to Jessops head office by the pro centre rep confirmed that the replacement is likely to be in stores at the start of april/end of march.

This has also been confirmed this afternoon by pro centre reps at Jacobs Digital and Calumet.

The new lens will apparently mean that the mkII lens will drop to about £3300 to clear remaining stocks.

Have at it with any info re: the lens... All i've heard is that they've updated the USM mechanism and completely re-engineered the IS electronics to make it even better than before.

All this aside, I'm probably going to go for a mkII lens for the reduced price.

Happy Chrismas Canon Fans!!

Get saving now.

James.

Hi, my name is James...and I'm here to hel https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6506577&post​count=1417

sponsored links
AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 22, 2008 09:46 |  #2

Thanks for sharing.
Barring newer generation IS, I'm not sure updating this lens is necessary. Surely Canon have other lenses to concentrate on first.
It's already one of Canon's best lenses, arguably as good as the mighty 300 2.8.

Gear

jamesb84
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2008 10:14 |  #3

AdamJL wrote in post #6926221 (external link)
Thanks for sharing.
Barring newer generation IS, I'm not sure updating this lens is necessary. Surely Canon have other lenses to concentrate on first.
It's already one of Canon's best lenses, arguably as good as the mighty 300 2.8.

This is very true...I'm interested less in the new lens, but in the fact that bringing out a new lens will lead to price drops on the old one as the major retailers try to get rid of them...

Just last week someone on here got a brilliant deal on a 5D simply because the 5DmkII was out in Jessops...if the same thing happens, then I was told to expect the old 400L to be available for around £3300.00

That's what I'm waiting for!!!! Then I will be offering a beautiful 300L up for sale on here I expect.

James.

Hi, my name is James...and I'm here to hel https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6506577&post​count=1417

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 22, 2008 10:44 |  #4

You'd sell the 300?!!! Heathen! You'll miss it, I guarantee :)

I'd personally find it easier selling a kidney, or a leg.

Gear

jamesb84
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 22, 2008 12:38 |  #5

AdamJL wrote in post #6926490 (external link)
You'd sell the 300?!!! Heathen! You'll miss it, I guarantee :)

I'd personally find it easier selling a kidney, or a leg.

Yeah, but only because I'm doing more football and rugby and need the reach of the 400. I I want to get the Canon 70-200 as well (upgrade from Sigma) and I can add a 1.4x extender to that anyway.

Still got a good range there I think.

James.

dahis
72 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2008 09:42 as a reply to  @ jamesb84's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

"Just last week someone on here got a brilliant deal on a 5D simply because the 5DmkII was out in Jessops...if the same thing happens, then I was told to expect the old 400L to be available for around £3300.00"

God help us. All the 30D/40D/50D wannabe idiots will be toting 400 2.8's before we know it. :evil:

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2008 10:03 |  #7

dahis wrote in post #6932567 (external link)
All the 30D/40D/50D wannabe idiots will be toting 400 2.8's before we know it. :evil:

Erm. Just because one uses a xxD makes them a 'wannabe idiot'? :confused:

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

jamesb84
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 28, 2008 07:34 |  #8

dahis wrote in post #6932567 (external link)
God help us. All the 30D/40D/50D wannabe idiots will be toting 400 2.8's before we know it. :evil:

Hell, that'll be even better...I can get one for cheaper when they realise they dont want to carry it.

And for the record, I was using a 30D as my main body until this season...and I shot a successful Rugby World Cup with it.

James.

scokar
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:53 |  #9

Collin85 wrote in post #6932691 (external link)
Erm. Just because one uses a xxD makes them a 'wannabe idiot'? :confused:

and what if, like me, one is already an idiot?? :)

Canuck
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined May 2003

Dec 31, 2008 21:44 as a reply to  @ scokar's post |  #10

And those of us with a 10D/20D and a Sigma 120-300F2.8 EX with 1.4tc fit into the mix??? I don't think so. Nice try though. I happen to have a 10D as I can't afford to upgrade to anything at the moment. Sure I'd like to jump to a 1D series, but that doesn't make us any less of a person just because we don't have a 1 series. Sure I have held a 1D mk II with a 100-400 on it but that's not the point. :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:

sponsored links

2,858 views & 0 likes for this thread
Something I learned today...about the 400L f/2.8
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.