Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Mar 2005 (Saturday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Inks and Paper for the i9900

MageProductions.com
39 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 12, 2005 11:30 |  #1

Now I have an i9900. Haven't done a single print with it - lol. Still, I know I am not rich (far, FAR from it!). I know the huge, imposing thing on the upper tier of my work desk has the capacity to put me in the poorhouse, unless I find a way to control it!

I NEED to find sources of ink. I am not opposed, in the least, to getting a continuous ink supply system for it. I will be using it on the road, making "fine art" prints on the spot at fairs, and festivals. I need something that looks good and will not create any grief.

Of course, I'll need paper (glossy) too. Again, its important that it does NOT cost a dollar, per sheet!

I'm hoping that some of the people in here have already done the "research" that looms, ahead of me, and are willing to share, what they found...???

Any help greatly appreciated :) :D :lol: ;)

PhotoArt, Videos, Music, Buffoonery
http://www.MageProduct​ions.com
(ignore the site, ENJOY the content :)

sponsored links
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Mar 14, 2005 08:16 |  #2

First did you look at the top of forum section

http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=50423

second:
I recommend Ilford Gallerie Pearl Paper if doing the prints on site. It looks better then glossy and has so far shown no fade. Printasia brand is as far as I can tell the same and maybe cheaper. For glossy I recommend Kodak Ultima Paper High Gloss as overall the best, but if doing 4x6 they have 4x6.5 paper which is messed up in my opinion.

As to Ink, overall cheapest source of ink (that I trust (both ink and company)) is www.thenerds.net (external link) which if you buy lots of ink (key word = lots) at a time it is overall the cheapest source for Canon OEM inks for the i9900 printer. The price can be as low as $9 a cartridge if you get 6 of each cartridge at a time (6 happens to be the wholesale package size for each cartridge) for a total of 48 cartridges. It mainly has to do with how they structure their shipping costs.

You can find generic third party ink cheaper, but there have been reports of it clogging the printer and significantly lower print life.

Hope that helps,

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

photoshooter
114 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 27, 2005 18:51 |  #3

try here http://www.inkjets99.c​om/ (external link) this is where we buy our ink we do a local speedway every fri night the cost is right

JBillings
909 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 27, 2005 19:09 as a reply to  @ photoshooter's post |  #4

First, I love my i9900 printer, I've had it about a month now. The colors are great. I'm still using OEM Canon cartridges. I've bought from both www.canogacamera.com (external link) and www.thenerds.net (external link). Great service from both.

I've been using Canon paper, Kodak Profesional Photo Paper (E) and Office Depot Professional Photo Paper, Brilliant Matte (E). All work very well

I found that I could print 14 13" X 19" prints before I started running low on ink. Particularly PhotoCyan and PhotoMagenta.

I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Just my $0.02 worth.

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Mar 28, 2005 12:00 as a reply to  @ photoshooter's post |  #5

photoshooter wrote:
try here http://www.inkjets99.c​om/ (external link) this is where we buy our ink we do a local speedway every fri night the cost is right

Went to that site, it was "Compatable" ink versus Canon OEM Ink, While nice price, my question are:

How long do the prints last?

And have they ever clogged the printer?

I trust the Canon inks to last quite some time on the right paper and I have never once had them clog the printer. But less then $2 is cheaper then $9. I am interested.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

photoshooter
114 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 29, 2005 14:14 as a reply to  @ Longwatcher's post |  #6

to be honest with you we have been doing the race car scene for about 17 yrs and we just started printing them ourself about 2 yrs ago as for how long they last im not really sure ive got some from when we started 2 yrs ago with no promblems clogging? we have had more clogs with the canon ink than the cheap stuff the canon repair man said its not the ink that clogs it its because the head goes wacko if you own a 9000 the best thing to do is order a 900 from tiger direct for either 49.00 or 79.00 and then you get a free warrenty on the head and you trade them the heads are 100.00 and you get no ink at tiger you get a whole printer and set of ink we sell alot of photos we ave 500.00 to 600.00 a fri night so we sell over 40 pics you get about 25 8 by 10 out of a set of ink paper we use is ilford its very cheap at sams club and is dry before you grab it its like 27.00 for 100 sheets we have tried every paper made and have stuck with ilfordI Gallerie never used the pearl but im sure its fine if you want check out my web site www.superchargedphotos​.com (external link) over 50000 pics from last year alone btw we have mixed canon ink and cheap stuff at the same time no promblems either

mhuth
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 30, 2005 14:55 |  #7

Just some info on ink costs and a brief comment on paper - for paper I've used some Canon Photo Pro and lesser papers - these are all fine, but rather expensive. I've used the mid-line Kodak PhotoPaper Glossy - it stinks (literally, like potato starch) in the saturated areas, failing to absorb the ink leading to crazing or alligatoring of the image in those areas. I get good results from Kirtland (Costco) glossy paper for about 15 cents per 8.5x11. I've got some Kodak Ultima, but haven't tried it yet. I think I've decided to use the Red River paper as my standard, as it comes in a variety of surfaces and a couple of qualities - the Polar claims to be formulated for fade resistance with dye-based inks, but it is the most expensive of their line, with 13x19 going for around 1.60 a sheet and the mid-line going for about a buck. They also have profiles for Canon printers and instructions on setting them up.

As for ink costs, I've been collecting data ever since I got the printer at Christmas last year, and now have used it enough to have enough data to say what the ink costs are. I've printed enough that I've had to replace all but the Red and Green cartridges (which show half gone, which generally means 3/4 gone) and have kept track of everything I've printed in a spread sheet. I've printed borderless 4x6 and 8.5x11, along with bordered 8.5x11 and 13x19 (12x18 image). And I've calculated the costs based on a price of $10 per cartridge, except for the red and green, which are in at 10.50. These are readily obtained costs from Amazon, including shipping, or other sites. I have use no non-OEM inks.

The photos are an approximate 50-50 mixture of landscapes and people shots (kids snap shots, some portraits). I keep track of people, landscapes and travel separately, mostly for my interest, but the ink usage also differs, not so much in quantity, but in which ones - portraits take a lot of Photo Magenta, for example.

The quality setting is about half the default easyphoto, used with the 4x6 snapshots, and a manual 1 (fine) setting for the larger pictures. The 4x6s are primarily from 1024 x 682 jpegs, while the larger photos were done from 20 megapixel files from Photoshop. The easy photo color management is automatic, with no enhancement features, and most of the Photoshop stuff is printed with the closest paper profiles I could dig up.

With over 20,000 square inches printed, the ink cost is stabilizing at around 1.4 cents per square inch of image. Figure you will need ink colors as follows -
1 green, 1 red, 2 black, 2 magenta, 2 cyan, 3 yellow, 4 photo cyan and 5 photo magenta.

Obviously, the subject matter will vary this ratio a bit, especially if you have a concentration on portraits, or lots of blue skies, or lots of bright red automobiles, etc. But the costs will probably be in the 1.35 to 1.45 cents per square inch range. Add your paper, and then you know what it costs to do a print. Not counting the cost of the printer and print head, or the computer, or ... ;) It's cheaper to take your files to Costco for printing, but where's the fun in that!

Doing more printing at a time appears to use slightly less ink than doing one page a day and turning on and off. Probably the initial charging when the printer first turns on. However, this is an impression, and I don't have quantitative data to back that up.

terryt
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 12, 2005 08:32 as a reply to  @ mhuth's post |  #8

You folks might want to take a look at this site http://neilslade.com/p​apers/inkjetstuff.html (external link)

Has a lot of test results on ink/papers/printers.

Turk182
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2005 08:19 |  #9

I've got the i9900 and am starting to do a lot of photos. I'm mainly using the Ultra Pro Gloss 68lb from Red River paper. 13x19 paper runs about $1, pretty easy to calculate that. This figure of 1.45ยข per square inch is the first I've found. Anyone else agree with that number? At that rate a 13x19 print runs $3.84 for just ink. I need to explore getting this cost down. What are my options?
1) Oem carts.
2) Refilling
3) Continuous ink system
4) A different printer? Are dye-subs cheaper on ink and paper? Does the quality compare to the i9900?

The need to print higher volume has hit me rather suddnely and would appreciate any advice in printing larger volume at lower prices, without giving up noticible quality.

Thanks
Turk

sponsored links

2,755 views & 0 likes for this thread
Inks and Paper for the i9900
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.