Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 23:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which "normal" prime for crop?

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,532 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 23, 2008 08:58 |  #76

I wouldn't say the 35mm f/2 is soft wide open at all. Stopped down it does get better though - and it's a very capable lens, optically.

La Vida Leica! (external link) LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1V-HS, 1D Mark IIn & 5D Mark IV w/BG-E20
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

sponsored links
queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 23, 2008 09:14 |  #77

Since AF has been brought up I will say that with the 35L I was amazed at the way it locked focus in practically dark conditions in these photos. It didn't even stutter. There was very little light and I expected it to hunt but it locked right on. I was practicing with flash off camera.
http://www.lanephotogr​aphy.smugmug.com …163_rY8sE#34112​2297_dCMLk (external link)

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2008 12:11 |  #78

perryge wrote in post #6931978 (external link)
The siggie peels. My friend just bought one for his 30D and the paint finish has already started peeling.

It's brand new and it's peeling? Is he putting a torch to it every night? :rolleyes: I've had mine for 4 years now...not a single peel. Very interesting!

perryge wrote in post #6932023 (external link)
Because of this thread, I just asked my friend how he liked his Sigma 30 1.4. He says he is regretting it, because he feels that his 35 f/2 was sharper, especially in the corners, and that his siggie seems to keep missing focus. I'm telling him to make sure it's not user error though...but still.

Feelings come and go. Too subjective, Perry. You should know that, my philosophy friend. No feelings here http://www.pbase.com …s/image/6246851​4/original (external link)

perryge wrote in post #6932048 (external link)
By the way, just to back up what airfrog said - two of my friends have 30Ds + Sigma 30 1.4s, and the lens was kind of 'meh' every time I tried it. I'm sure it's great to have, and I do regularly recommend it to people, but it really didn't do much for me.

The 35L though, I am determined to buy as soon as possible. I realize I shoot FF so it's not the same, but I tried one and it BLEW me away. It impressed me more than the 85L did when I first tried it, and I didn't think that was possible. What a lens.

Certainly can't be "meh" optically. These lenses have similar sharpness and contrast. Both usable right from wide open. If you mean "feel" in hand, that's totally a personal thing, so that's acceptable. I like the small-ness of the EX way better...personally. I do wish it had a closer MFD, though. :mad:

queenbee288 wrote in post #6932415 (external link)
Since AF has been brought up I will say that with the 35L I was amazed at the way it locked focus in practically dark conditions in these photos. It didn't even stutter. There was very little light and I expected it to hunt but it locked right on. I was practicing with flash off camera.
http://www.lanephotogr​aphy.smugmug.com …163_rY8sE#34112​2297_dCMLk (external link)

FWIW, any lens, let alone a prime, would lock onto that kind of subject in that kind of lighting. The subject is easy to AF lock onto. Nice shots though. ;)

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 23, 2008 16:30 |  #79

pixel_junkie wrote in post #6930019 (external link)
Want to help the OP? Mention that the SIGMA has a problem with AF when you recommend it. Take a look at a poll > HERE < more than 30% of the people who owned it had a problem with it. Over 30%! Does that sound like a solid product? And over 60% of that 30 gave up on it ... SIGMA service doesn't ALWAYS fix the problem. Again, not fair to the OP not to mention that the lens is known for AF problems.

Please note "good working lens" in a previous post of mine in this thread. Please also note 'sigma 30mm' in search brings up no small number of threads about this issue. I personally didnt have a problem with the sigma I own but I acknowledge there can be one and it is an inordinate amount of the time. Please read before posting!

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2008 18:52 |  #80

LightRules wrote in post #6933393 (external link)
It's brand new and it's peeling? Is he putting a torch to it every night? :rolleyes: I've had mine for 4 years now...not a single peel. Very interesting!

Yeah I have no idea. My Sigma 10-20 didn't peel. I don't know what's up with his 30. It's not brand new though, he bought it used.

Feelings come and go. Too subjective, Perry. You should know that, my philosophy friend. No feelings here http://www.pbase.com …s/image/6246851​4/original (external link)

Totally. Like I said, I told him to make sure it wasn't user error first.

Certainly can't be "meh" optically. These lenses have similar sharpness and contrast. Both usable right from wide open. If you mean "feel" in hand, that's totally a personal thing, so that's acceptable. I like the small-ness of the EX way better...personally. I do wish it had a closer MFD, though. :mad:

Well since I was using it on their 30Ds, I never got to download the pictures and look. I did mean 'feel' in the hand, it didn't quite handle nicely for me. I far prefer the L focus ring to the sigma one, which felt a little stiff to me. The MFD bugged the heck out of me too since I love getting close for funky perspectives.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 23, 2008 19:36 |  #81

FWIW, any lens, let alone a prime, would lock onto that kind of subject in that kind of lighting. The subject is easy to AF lock onto. Nice shots though. ;)

In the nearly dark? That has not been my experience. The light is from the off camera flash in a softbox that didn't go off til after focus was achieved.

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2008 20:24 as a reply to  @ queenbee288's post |  #82

perryge wrote in post #6935439 (external link)
I far prefer the L focus ring to the sigma one, which felt a little stiff to me. The MFD bugged the heck out of me too since I love getting close for funky perspectives.

I agree with you here. The 30 EX tends to be gritty (focus ring) and when it is pointed upwards makes a gritty AF sound. The L is definitely more refined in this way. The L is just butter smooth in the focusing and the ring. The MFD is probably my biggest gripe about the Sigma though; I wish it was closer. All this said, so long as I have APS-C, this prime is staying in my bag. It's just a rippingly sharp and contrasty lens.

KPBara
136 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 23, 2008 22:34 |  #83

tkbslc wrote in post #6930346 (external link)
As much as I'd like the 35L (or 24L) It isn't happening in this decade.

It is probably down to the 35/2 at this point. I could probably stretch for the 30/1.4, but I also want to buy some lighting this winter.

I would encourage you to look at a used Canon 28/1.8, which can go for <$300. It does show halation wide open but that is gone by f2.2. I think you will find the build and USM much better than the 35/2. Many report great results with the 30/1.4, but some have also had trouble. I spent extra $ for shipping 3 times (1 exchange and 2 services) and still was not happy. If you have the patience, the 30/1.4 evidently can be rewarding, but the 28/1.8 is perhaps less frustrating and is no slouch.

7D 40D 24-105 28/1.8 35L 70-300L 12-24/4 1.4xSP

Ade ­ H
598 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2008 15:33 as a reply to  @ LightRules's post |  #84

Yeah, it is a bit rougher than Canon's super-smooth ring USM (which doesn't need to be L-grade to be excellent). I, too, noticed the effect of pointing it upwards, but I'm not exactly using this to shoot air shows, so that's not a biggie. ;) The MFD could be better but isn't too bad and is not a big issue for me: if I ever break from tradition and start doing close-ups, I'll buy a macro.

sponsored links

6,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which "normal" prime for crop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.