Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 07:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

monopod usefull?

Pilot ­ Dane
165 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2008 07:30 |  #1

Has anyone got experience using a monopod with a longer range zoom (like a 100-400L)?

Previously on day hikes I would carry my 70-200L alone or with a 1.4 converter mounted and would hand hold my shots (braced on a tree if possible). I am taking fleeting wildlife (little to no time to set up) and scenery shots in moderatley rough (no trails) terrain so I am trying to avoid a full (properly sized) tripod. I am quite sure the long end of my new 100-400L will be too long for my hand holding skills so I am considering a monopod like the Gitzo GM5561T for my ultralight needs and for travel. I would also be using the monopod as a walking stick. Would this be a waste of money or usefull with such a long lens? Is it usefull without a ball head?

50D, 24-105L, 100-400L, EF-S 17-55, 430EX, Gitzo GM5561T monopod

sponsored links
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2008 08:07 |  #2

I like monopods a lot for my 400 5.6. I'm currently in the market for a better one though.

Tilt/swivel head is good enough, since you can turn the pod itself easily. I love the mobility it gives, as well as taking some of the weight off my hands and adding stability. Definitely a great option for hiking.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2008 08:21 |  #3

Useful, useful, useful.

As PG said, stick with a tilt/swivel or no head; ball-heads are accidents waiting to happen on monopods. Since you're at such a long range, all you have to do is lean your body forward or back slightly and you are doing all the tilting you really need.

I have a Gitzo tripod but Manfrotto monopod.. I'd like a Gitzo mono as well but they're so expensive and I don't hike to justify it... but yea, that would be my choice, too.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2008 08:27 |  #4

For the record I think I'm going for the Manfrotto 685B monopod + 234RC head. I LOVE the pistol grip action of that monopod - it's so much faster than flips or twist knobs.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2008 08:28 |  #5

I use mine a lot with my 70-200, but occasionally use it for my 24-70 and 50mm. When a tripod is too much and too slow, the monopod is the way to go.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2008 08:28 |  #6

Not a fan of the pistol grips here, but YMMV.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2008 08:30 |  #7

Very useful. I use up to 420mm on my monopod; I don't like using a ball head with it as it's too loose when you have free movement, a tilt head is excellent imho. Helps when you're pushing low shutter speeds and don't have IS!

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

Pilot ­ Dane
THREAD ­ STARTER
165 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 23, 2008 08:56 |  #8

Thank you for the quick sanity check. I was a B&H last week when I was in New York and fell in love with the Gitzo GM5561T. While in the store I was still suffering from sticker shock but that has finally worn off.

50D, 24-105L, 100-400L, EF-S 17-55, 430EX, Gitzo GM5561T monopod

Perry ­ Ge
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 23, 2008 08:59 |  #9

TheHoff wrote in post #6932174 (external link)
Not a fan of the pistol grips here, but YMMV.

Just to be clear, it's not a pistol grip head, the monopod itself uses a pistol grip to extend and retract the leg, instead of flip or twist locks. You press the trigger, and the legs can extend or retract, but once you let go, it locks into place.

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:13 |  #10

I have a plain jane manfroto monopod ($50) and take it with me-- but rarely use it--- typically use it for football games/marathon races-- or places that I am stuck in one spot taking tons of photos.
I do not see much use for a head on it--- but that might just be my limited use.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:20 |  #11

very useful for long glass. I rarely use my 300/2.8 without a monopod when I need to be mobile.

I have a gitzo with a wimberley QR clamp.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:25 |  #12

Pilot Dane wrote in post #6932325 (external link)
Thank you for the quick sanity check. I was a B&H last week when I was in New York and fell in love with the Gitzo GM5561T. While in the store I was still suffering from sticker shock but that has finally worn off.

woa...... $350 monopod -- that is a bit pricy.

Scott

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2008 09:29 |  #13

stathunter wrote in post #6932474 (external link)

You would think it should cost only 1/3 of their tripod price, not 1/2! :D

If I hiked 50 days a year, it might be worth it... otherwise, Manfrotto for me.

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:29 |  #14

stathunter wrote in post #6932474 (external link)

That is a hardcore monopod. most people will never need a monopod that supports that kind of weight. i have a 2 series that works great. check out my gear link.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,634 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:31 |  #15

col4bin wrote in post #6932499 (external link)
That is a hardcore monopod. most people will never need a monopod that supports that kind of weight. i have a 2 series that works great. check out my gear link.

You list everything in your gear.....are you sure you did not miss anything? :D

Scott

sponsored links

14,034 views & 0 likes for this thread
monopod usefull?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.