Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone upgraded from the 400D to the 50D

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2008 09:43 |  #1

Hi,

I just upgraded from the 400D to the 50D and would be interested to know the thoughts of others who have done this.

The light in my area has been pretty crappy since I got the camera but I do have the feeling that the images I have captured tend to be over exposed compared with the 400D. Now I do recall multiple posts when the 400D first came out saying that it tended towards under exposure so maybe I am seeing what "normal" exposure looks like? I have tried all the various metering options.

Did anyone else notice this? I have yet to delve into any custom settings but I will have time to do that over the holidays and hopefully get some shots that I can post as examples but for now, I'd be very interested to learn of others experiences and pick up any other tips from people out there who have made this upgrade regarding what settings to use or any custom stuff that you have found to be effective/helpful.

Cheers

Jon

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Nick_b
968 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2008 10:51 |  #2

I've found the 50D to expose pretty well. "Proper" exposure doesn't really exist it's really up to you to get the exposure you want. The camera helps, but by reviewing the photo and the histogram you can get to learn if what you have taken will be acceptable to you.

If you feel a little rusty on exposure and how all the functions of the camera effect exposure I'd suggest picking up a good book on the subject. "Understanding Exposure" is suppose to be a good one.

50D, 2 x 20D, Elan 7E, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.8, 200mm 2.8 II, flash 430EX, 580 EX
Canon G10
Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Jonathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2008 11:02 |  #3

Thanks for the response. I already own that book and it has helped me immensely. I suppose what I did not mention was that the "exposure" issue happens when I am photographing a backlit subject. I had hoped the 50D would handle the dynamic range better than the 400D and with the Highlight Tone Priority setting, these situations would be easier to handle. MAybe I have misunderstood this.

My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Nick_b
968 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2008 11:04 |  #4

lemminglover wrote in post #6933029 (external link)
Thanks for the response. I already own that book and it has helped me immensely. I suppose what I did not mention was that the "exposure" issue happens when I am photographing a backlit subject. I had hoped the 50D would handle the dynamic range better than the 400D and with the Highlight Tone Priority setting, these situations would be easier to handle. MAybe I have misunderstood this.

You could try using the spot meter mode. It might help.

50D, 2 x 20D, Elan 7E, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.8, 200mm 2.8 II, flash 430EX, 580 EX
Canon G10
Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Jonathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2008 11:18 |  #5

That blows the highlights the worst - it takes no account of the background.

My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2008 11:21 |  #6

lemminglover wrote in post #6933126 (external link)
That blows the highlights the worst - it takes no account of the background.

yeah but you're in a no win situation, you want the foreground or the background? you can't have both, you're hitting the limit. at the most you underexpose it and PP it brighter.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Nick_b
968 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 23, 2008 11:23 |  #7

sounds like you need fill flash then.

Canon G10
Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Jonathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2008 11:37 |  #8

HyperYagami wrote in post #6933152 (external link)
yeah but you're in a no win situation, you want the foreground or the background? you can't have both, you're hitting the limit. at the most you underexpose it and PP it brighter.

It seems that you are missing the point. I KNOW that bright backgrounds cause problems. I KNOW fill flash, filter etc can fix this. My POINT is that I could manage this better with the 400D (out of camera) and find it hard to do with the 50D and was really asking if anyone one else found this an issue and if they had any tips that could help be learn about my new camera. Plus any other tips people have for someone like me on this new learning curve.

Probably my fault for not being clearer about my issue :-(

My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2008 12:15 |  #9

lemminglover wrote in post #6933233 (external link)
It seems that you are missing the point. I KNOW that bright backgrounds cause problems. I KNOW fill flash, filter etc can fix this. My POINT is that I could manage this better with the 400D (out of camera) and find it hard to do with the 50D and was really asking if anyone one else found this an issue and if they had any tips that could help be learn about my new camera. Plus any other tips people have for someone like me on this new learning curve.

Probably my fault for not being clearer about my issue :-(

no I'm not missing your point. 50d is 14-bit so (in theory) you can PP to recover the details from the overexpose or underexpose, your choice, better than the 400d. that's at the most you can do. i had to dial +2/3 or +1 with the 400d that i don't have to do that anymore with the 50d. so maybe you're just used to dealing with slightly underexposed pics as in the 400d.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Jonathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2008 12:25 |  #10

Thanks for your reply and your interest in my issue. Maybe I need to re-phrase this. Out of camera, I find shots from my 400D more useable than my new 50D. Clearly, the 50D is a better body than the 400D so what I want to know is what can I do to correct this? Did anyone else notice this?

I want to get the most out of my new camera and would like to learn from the experiences of others here who may have had the same issue. This is not a 50D bashing thread. I am commited to my new purchase and would just like to learn from others here who have made the same upgrade to supplement my experiments and reading of the manual.

My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2008 12:34 |  #11

lemminglover wrote in post #6933457 (external link)
Thanks for your reply and your interest in my issue. Maybe I need to re-phrase this. Out of camera, I find shots from my 400D more useable than my new 50D. Clearly, the 50D is a better body than the 400D so what I want to know is what can I do to correct this? Did anyone else notice this?

NP. Well you probably want to dial the 50D maybe -1/3 or -2/3 to match the your 400D output if that's what you prefer. I personally want the exposure to be slightly to the right so I dialed the 400D to even +1 stop in some cases.

Of course you can shoot M which you can have it whichever way you want on the fly. :cool:

5D3 and a few lens
es.

sponsored links

948 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone upgraded from the 400D to the 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.