Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

xs to xsi

sdmg9
84 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2008 08:45 |  #1

they have some real great deals on the xs right now, 2 lens and camera for under 5... my question is the xsi worth 300 more compared to the xs..

my photos (external link)
GEAR:
XSI(450D), 18-55IS, 55-250IS, 430EXII, G9, Lensmate

sponsored links
kanonshooter
406 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 24, 2008 08:57 |  #2

This has arecently been covered here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=613601

EOS 550D, EFS 15-85mm

FlexiPack
763 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 24, 2008 09:02 |  #3

I'd have to say no!!

I have the Xsi, my friend has recently got the XS so i'd did a fair amount of reading about it for her.

The differences are small

Xsi 9 point AF - XS 7 point AF
Xsi 3" LCD - XS 2.5" LCD
Xsi 14 bit AC, XS 12bit AC (I think!)
Xsi 3fps - XS 1.5fps
Xsi has an infrared port for a remote control whereas the XS does not (no biggie, you can pick up a wireless trigger on ebay for £15 that connects to the shutter release port).

Lastly the Xsi has 12mp to the XS 10mp. I don't personally consider this last difference to be of much significance. The difference is marginal with the offset being the XS probably has marginally less noise at high ISO's because of the less pixel density. So some might see it has a bonus!

I don't think there are any other differences but someone will chip in if i've missed something.

I personally don't think those differences are worth 300 bucks difference. For me if it was 100 difference only then I'd consider it.

Body: 450D
Lenses: Sigma EX 18-50mm 2.8 Macro; EF 50mm f/1.8 MKII; EF 100mm Macro f/2.8; EF 70-300mm IS; Zeiss S 135mm f/3.5;
Accesories: 430EX; Vivitar 285; Kenko DG Extension Tubes;

sdmg9
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2008 09:07 |  #4

FlexiPack wrote in post #6938346 (external link)
I'd have to say no!!

I have the Xsi, my friend has recently got the XS so i'd did a fair amount of reading about it for her.

The differences are small

Xsi 9 point AF - XS 7 point AF
Xsi 3" LCD - XS 2.5" LCD
Xsi 14 bit AC, XS 12bit AC (I think!)
Xsi 3fps - XS 1.5fps
Xsi has an infrared port for a remote control whereas the XS does not (no biggie, you can pick up a wireless trigger on ebay for £15 that connects to the shutter release port).

Lastly the Xsi has 12mp to the XS 10mp. I don't personally consider this last difference to be of much significance. The difference is marginal with the offset being the XS probably has marginally less noise at high ISO's because of the less pixel density. So some might see it has a bonus!

I don't think there are any other differences but someone will chip in if i've missed something.

I personally don't think those differences are worth 300 bucks difference. For me if it was 100 difference only then I'd consider it.

thanks

i did not know it was only 1.5 fps i would like at least 3

GEAR:

Cole_Schmitt
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2008 09:40 |  #5

Indeed, the XSi is a better camera. But not by much at all. Especially 300$ better. Go with the XS, because now you got 2 lens, and a body. And you are saving 300$ which could go towards lighting, lens, flashes, etc. Then when you get enough money again, buy a 40d body and you will have an amazing set-up. Save your money and buy the XS, you will be able to get just about the same pictures as someone with the XSi has.

Cole | flickr (external link)
XTi • 17-55 ƒ2.8

jongrill
117 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2008 10:29 |  #6

I_Shot_You wrote in post #6938558 (external link)
Indeed, the XSi is a better camera. But not by much at all. Especially 300$ better. Go with the XS, because now you got 2 lens, and a body. And you are saving 300$ which could go towards lighting, lens, flashes, etc. Then when you get enough money again, buy a 40d body and you will have an amazing set-up. Save your money and buy the XS, you will be able to get just about the same pictures as someone with the XSi has.

I agree. I purchsed a XS two weeks ago and love it. I almost spent the extra money on the XSi, but a photographer friend put it to me this way:

"Why don't you spend less money on the XS and get 2 lenses. Learn how to take a good photo with the XS and when you think you are ready, save up for a better body."

That sold me on the XS. All your lenses and accessories can be carried over to your new body in a few years! My XS is a GREAT camera. The differences are SO subtle that its really not worth it!

Good luck!

Canon 60D Tamron 18-270 3.5-6.3 Di II ~ 50mm f/1.8 Mk1 ~ 28mm f/2.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jongrill (external link)

N23
174 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 24, 2008 12:04 |  #7

1.5 in RAW mode. 3.0 fps in jpeg. Would seem a step backward if it wasn't.

1Ds / 40D-BGE2N
40STM / 15-85IS / 24-105F4L / 28-105II / 70-[COLOR=black]200F4L
YN560III / 380EX

dima1109
247 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 24, 2008 13:37 |  #8

XS can do 3 fps in JPEG only, 1.5 in RAW. XSi can do 3fps in both.

Gear
Dima is indeed my real name

Cmizzle
451 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2008 20:15 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

dima1109 wrote in post #6939948 (external link)
XS can do 3 fps in JPEG only, 1.5 in RAW. XSi can do 3fps in both.

Still not worth it.

Flickr (external link)

aj ­ m3
32 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 24, 2008 22:39 as a reply to  @ Cmizzle's post |  #10

It's about $200 difference most everywhere I've seen.. and if you shop around enough you can get the XSi for about the same price. At the time I got my XSi kit it was about $50 more than the XS where I bought it, totally worth it for me. I've only had mine for 5 months and I'm already going to upgrade.. the way I see it you're better off getting a camera you can grow into, rather than a camera that you plan to grow out of.

I agree that the XS is a great starter camera, it just depends on how serious you expect to be in the future. I'd rather get a used XTi for less and great lenses.

Good luck. :)

XSi - 28-135mm IS USM :confused:

sdmg9
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 25, 2008 00:06 |  #11

aj m3 wrote in post #6941820 (external link)
It's about $200 difference most everywhere I've seen.. and if you shop around enough you can get the XSi for about the same price. At the time I got my XSi kit it was about $50 more than the XS where I bought it, totally worth it for me. I've only had mine for 5 months and I'm already going to upgrade.. the way I see it you're better off getting a camera you can grow into, rather than a camera that you plan to grow out of.

I agree that the XS is a great starter camera, it just depends on how serious you expect to be in the future. I'd rather get a used XTi for less and great lenses.

Good luck. :)

about the same price? ,,like my OP,iv shopped around and found the cheapest place with a 2 canon lens set with the xs for under 5... were the same kit with the xsi is $290 more

GEAR:

iddycourt
283 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 25, 2008 05:22 |  #12

I was looking between the canon xsi, and xs.
personally i love my XSI. looking at both the cameras, the xsi, im going to call it the 450d as thats what it is here, and the other names confuse me.
I liked having the screen turn off for me when I raise it on the 450d (Trivial I know)
the 1000d was due to come out a week after i wanted to buy my 450d, and i had spent a few months researching, playing, and testing cameras out, I hated the feel of the 40d (too bulky for me), and the 400d had no SD card.
I had settled with the 450d (XSI)

Some people say, the downpoint of the xsi over the xs is that, many of the options will never be used. But i prefered having the option of it.

I am completely out of my element with my camera, most of the time, I dont know what I am doing, but its exciting not knowing, I know the basics, but the settings are all experimenting of what they can do . I know when i have mastered this camera, I will most likely upgrade, but i know it will be a long time till i do so

Canon EOS 450d, 18-55mm IS, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8

1000DSHOOTER
48 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 25, 2008 05:42 |  #13

Just got my XS today, i've been shooting with it, it's great, I absolutely love it!

I would take the XS with an extra lens (zoom lens) over an XSi with this lens though, if you really want a full kit of lens, otherwise go with the XSi, the more options the better.

But truthfully I don't think there is a lot between them, I asked in store and the person there didn't really think it was worth the extra money, that said if its in your price range you can't go wrong!

Ahh its so good to finally have it, took some pics this morning, the flower pics turned out really well and I managed to get a picture of a robin, but cropped with zoom its a bit blurry, I want a zoom lens next already!

sponsored links

1,993 views & 0 likes for this thread
xs to xsi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.