Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Dec 2008 (Friday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Triggering Elinchrom 400BX's with a Speedlite?

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 26, 2008 23:10 |  #1

For Christmas, I got an Elinchrom 400Bx 2 monolight kit. I also have 580EX and 420EX Speedlites and would like to use one of them for a background light (possibly with a Rosco gel). With the equipment I currently have, the only way I can think of to trigger the strobes and a Speedlite is:

Mount the 580EX on the camera and set it to "Off" (rather than Master or Slave).

Use the 420EX as the background light and set it to "Slave".

Set both of the 400Bx's to slave.

I believe that this arrangement would allow me to wirelessly fire the 420EX which should in turn fire the 400Bx's. Will this work? Is there a better way? Am I losing any functionality by firing the 400Bx's this way instead of using the sync cord?

Blane
Gear List

sponsored links
Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 26, 2008 23:32 |  #2

It'll work. :)

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,747 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 27, 2008 02:56 |  #3

The 420 will fire the preflash though.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

djmorgan
67 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 27, 2008 03:04 |  #4

The sync between your speed light and the strobes will not be in sync, you'll find the speed light fires then the strobes resulting in the camera only capturing the speed light unless you slow down your shutter speed.

Gear: Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D:D
Canon 100mm Macro: Canon 17-40L: Canon 24-105L: Canon 70-200L: Canon 100-400L: Canon 50 1.4: Canon TS-E 24mm

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 27, 2008 03:14 |  #5

Lotto wrote in post #6951163 (external link)
The 420 will fire the preflash though.

Even in manual mode?

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 27, 2008 09:17 |  #6

Does the 400BX have a modeling light? Sorry for the slight drift, I was just thinking about getting some :) .

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 27, 2008 09:24 |  #7

pprice wrote in post #6951983 (external link)
Does the 400BX have a modeling light? Sorry for the slight drift, I was just thinking about getting some :) .

Yes, the come with 150W modeling lights. Also, the modeling lights can be set to be proportional to the selected flash power. And, according to the manual, you can replace the modeling light bulbs with up to 250W bulbs although they only give you specs on acceptable 200W bulbs in the book.

Blane
Gear List

pprice
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 27, 2008 22:23 |  #8

Thanks BTBeilke!

1D MKIII 16-35 2.8L MKII 24-70 2.8L 70-200 2.8L [COLOR=black]IS 300 2.8L IS (few others) Bunch of AB lighting
Southern by the grace of God

Lotto
Goldmember
2,747 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 27, 2008 23:15 |  #9

Rudi wrote in post #6951184 (external link)
Even in manual mode?

The 420 has no manual mode. For any kind of output control, the master/slave setup has to be in the ETTL mode.

There are two way I would use for triggering: 1) Run a sync cord to the 580EX only, the strobes will be triggered optically. 2) Us the ETTL master/slave setup and use cable with splitters from the camera's PC port to both strobes at the same time.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 28, 2008 00:39 |  #10

OK, my bad. I've only ever had and used 580's. Didn't know you couldn't trigger a 420 in manual mode, without a sync cord.

BTBeilke
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 28, 2008 03:18 |  #11

Lotto wrote in post #6955683 (external link)
The 420 has no manual mode. For any kind of output control, the master/slave setup has to be in the ETTL mode.

There are two way I would use for triggering: 1) Run a sync cord to the 580EX only, the strobes will be triggered optically. 2) Us the ETTL master/slave setup and use cable with splitters from the camera's PC port to both strobes at the same time.

What exactly do I need to be able to attach a sync chord to the 580EX? Would I need a hotshoe adapter (http://www.flashzebra.​com/hotshoes-shoes/0067.shtml (external link))? It looks like I could use the sync chord that came with my strobes with this adapter.

What about an optical slave adapter (http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0118/inde​x.shtml (external link)) to attach the 580EX and then I could run a sync chord to one of the strobes and let the other strobe and 580EX fire optically. I understand that the EX Speedlites have issues with some of these adapters but this one claims to work OK with them. Has anyone tried one of these adapters?

Blane
Gear List

Rudi
Goldmember
3,751 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Dec 28, 2008 03:22 |  #12

BTBeilke wrote in post #6956458 (external link)
What about an optical slave adapter (http://www.flashzebra.​com/products/0118/inde​x.shtml (external link)) to attach the 580EX and then I could run a sync chord to one of the strobes and let the other strobe and 580EX fire optically.

If you're gonna use a sync cord, then that is the way I'd do it. No point running a sync cord all the way to your hair light...

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 28, 2008 04:46 |  #13

I've tried to fire the 400BX and 300RX using their slave cell with a 580EX, 430EX and a 420EX all manual (except the 420EX) it doesn't work.

The only way to make it work in my case was to use hotshoe adaptors and skyports and set the flash to manual (this of course excluded the 420EX).

The main issue you will find is that the colour balance of the flash guns will not match the studio heads. However since you're using them as background lights it won't matter much.

I will also commend FlashZebra excellent service and advice...

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

sponsored links

1,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
Triggering Elinchrom 400BX's with a Speedlite?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.