Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Dec 2008 (Sunday) 14:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Impact umbrellas

bmynbr
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 28, 2008 14:18 |  #1

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …Flash_Umbrella_​Mount.html (external link)

Just wondering what you guys think of these umbrellas, I am just going to be using it to take pics of my son, and my new baby coming next week. Any other options would be appreciated.
Going to be used with 580 exII's

Thanks, Dave

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

http://www.treklens.co​m/members/BMYNBR/photo​s/ (external link)

sponsored links
bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 28, 2008 14:24 |  #2

http://cgi.ebay.com …A:US:11&Item=36​0092446087 (external link)

Heres another one on ebay. And it says free shipping

Canon 7d, 50 f1.8, Canon 17-85is usm, 58mm hoya cpl, 67mm b&w slim cpl, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 486rc2 ball head, Canon efs 10-22, 580exII, cybersyncs, Canon 70-200 f4L

SDavis ­ Photo
269 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 28, 2008 14:31 |  #3

Have them love them, use them both in my studio and on location.
I use one 580 ex11 and two 430 ex's.

5D, 60D, Canon 17-55mm 1:2.8 IS, 70-300mm F/4-5.6 L, 24-105mm f/1:4 L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 105mm 2:8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm ATX Pro DX II, Canon 580SX II, two 430ex's and lots of filters

Siphanh
173 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2008 14:38 |  #4

The stands are great, the umbrellas not so good. I already had to repair mines with glue on the edges, they rip easily.

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 28, 2008 14:54 |  #5

I was just reading reviews, and people said that the flash doesn't fire to the center of the umbrella, and the umbrella and flash don't adjust at the same time.
Is this true?
Dave

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Dec 28, 2008 15:55 |  #6

I have that same kit. the Impact one. First thing I did was swap out the shoe. It really is horrible. I swapped them out for ->THESE (external link)<-.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 28, 2008 16:08 |  #7

bmynbr wrote in post #6958541 (external link)
I was just reading reviews, and people said that the flash doesn't fire to the center of the umbrella, and the umbrella and flash don't adjust at the same time.
Is this true?
Dave

I'm not sure you can easily accomplish this using shoe mount flash units into umbrellas. The construction of the 'normal' attachment unit just doesn't allow it. Even most strobes do not fire to the exact center of the umbrella.

Not sure what you mean by the umbrella and flash not adjusting at the same time. If they are talking about angle adjustments then they probably have it assembled wrong. If they are talking about relative to the umbrella I wouldn't want them adjusting together. Adjust the umbrella so it is being filled by the flash by moving the umbrella closer or further away from the flash head.

(And if you could see me talking with my hands you would know exactly what I just said!)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 28, 2008 16:10 |  #8

rklepper wrote in post #6958799 (external link)
I have that same kit. the Impact one. First thing I did was swap out the shoe. It really is horrible. I swapped them out for ->THESE (external link)<-.

I swapped mine out for ->THESE (external link)<-:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2008 17:02 |  #9

Titus213 wrote in post #6958881 (external link)
I swapped mine out for ->THESE (external link)<-:lol:

I did as well. This kit is very good for the money, im awaiting my second 430ex speedlight to use both stands/umbrellas. But using just one, im very pleased.

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 28, 2008 17:07 |  #10

bmynbr wrote in post #6958541 (external link)
Is this true?
Dave

I cant think of ANY umbrellas with the light in the center. It is just not possable. The support rod is in the center, how are you going to get the light there?

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

bmynbr
THREAD ­ STARTER
729 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 28, 2008 19:17 |  #11

Sorry, I am not saying the light in the center, I just mean the light fires at the center. Some people said the flash only lights the top 1/3 instead of the middle. Look at the 4 minute mark of this vid to understand what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=lKAD7leNOVY (external link)

Thanks for the answers, I think I am going to get them. Any thought on the ebay ones, even though you can not shoot through them, they are half the price.
Dave

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 29, 2008 08:33 |  #12

The angle has to do with the mount, not the umbrella. Your question was about the umbrella. I would guess the angle is built in to the mount. I have cheap $7 mounts and they have the angle built in. I would guess more expensive ones would as well.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 29, 2008 10:26 |  #13

I've got impact stands which are excellent for $19 a piece. Very sturdy for my vivitar flashes. And I just got impact umbrellas while they seem flimsy I'm sure for my hobbiest shooting they will be more then suficient. Westcott makes $26 convertible brollies which are prolly much nicer but for a beginner impact brand gear is perfect. Oh I also have impact umbrella hotshoe flash brackets and they're pretty darn nice for their price.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
Impact umbrellas
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.