Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Dec 2008 (Monday) 11:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Softbox's, Stands, and Flash Equipment Setup

stince
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 29, 2008 11:13 |  #1

Here’s my current setup, which I like, but its getting annoying not having the same output from the flashes. :mad:

I’m currently shooting my Canon 350D, firing a Canon 420EX and Promatic (FTD 46or5600) (also have cheapppp sunpack backup) Flash via Cactus V2 Triggers, on 2 separate tripods. :o

I’m looking to upgrade my stuff substantially. :D

I’ve been thinking of picking up 2 Vivitar 285’s, 2x 7’ or 8’ RPS or equivalent Light stands, 2 soft box’s (still debating type), and a flash bracket/hotshoe adapter for my canon 420ex ETTL which is my primary flash until I pickup a 430 or 550/80.

As for the flash setup, I was thinking the strobist, battery operated.
Though, I hear people are buying kits of ebay with strobes, and just picking up a portable power supply.

What do you guys think?

Light stands are about 50-60$ for a set off most sites or even 45$ off ebay.
Softbox’s range from 30$ to 300$.
Vivitar 285’s from 60-90$
(Speed rings, brackets, etc, please give input)

What are some opinions for gear?

My budget is around $250-$300 max. I know this is plenty to achieve a better lighting setup.

Please let me know what you think about my idea! :)

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

sponsored links
stince
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 02, 2009 10:13 |  #2

Anyone have any ideas?

Jeff Stinson
Mid-Atlantic Photographer – jeffstinsonphoto.com (external link)Sportsshooter.com (external link)
Canon 1D Mk III | Canon 1D Mk IIN | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L | 50 1.4 | 300 2.8L

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2009 12:05 |  #3

Jeff,

Have you looked into a monolight and softbox? The price would be higher, but you would get more consistent light output. Plus using only one light challenges your photo skills!

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

blueglum
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 02, 2009 20:18 |  #4

Have you checked out the calumet genesis 200 kit. comes with stand and umbrella.
Has had mixed reviews around here.

More gear and....well more gear.

stince
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 07, 2009 10:16 |  #5

I've looked at multiple kits.
I'm usually shooting in various locations (outdoors)

So i'm looking for a kit that can be portable and run off good old AA's :lol:

Jeff Stinson

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 07, 2009 12:11 |  #6

Impact makes 6' lightstands for $19.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …5_Light_Stand_B​lack_.html (external link)

I've got 4 of them and they're excellent pieces. for $19 you can't go wrong really.
They aren't air cushioned but they're pretty stable for my flashes and umbrellas mounted.

I use vivitar 285HVs and they're pretty nice for $80, just wish they had more power adjustments.

and I have Impact convertible umbrellas in 32" and 45" that I got for Christmas that are pretty nice for my occasional use.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

stince
THREAD ­ STARTER
295 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 08, 2009 12:36 |  #7

Thanks!

Jeff Stinson

zelseman
Goldmember
1,922 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2009 17:16 |  #8

I cant praise on how good the impact kit from B&H is. For $100 bucks, you cant beat it.

Gear List
Website (external link)/Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
Softbox's, Stands, and Flash Equipment Setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.