Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 30 Dec 2008 (Tuesday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Someone wants to use my picture

Katiana
83 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2008 13:28 |  #1

I'm a lowly amateur and I really have no idea what to do with this XD. I know that I'm willing to give up the photo for use, and the website that the man gives is legitimate plus he offers compensation. I just really don't know what to say back. As a sixteen year old my business skills are rather stunted :p. I've read over a few threads, but I'm still not really sure about what I should say. Do I just reply with a 'Thanks, awesome, how much are you willing to give' (obviously a little more eloquently phrased)?

Kate,

I found your photo online of the old couple and the fireworks and I was wondering if you would allow me to use that in a newspaper ad. Certainly, we would be willing to pay you for the use.

My name is Aaron Sutton and I am the Marketing Director at Beach Properties of Florida www. beachpropertiesofflori​da. com (external link)

You can email me at ***** or call ******

take care!

Thanks for your help!

Katiana or Kate, either one works.
gear list .x.
flikr (external link)

sponsored links
scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2008 13:30 |  #2

get all the information on how many ads it's going to be ran in, how many prints, and so on... then we can figure out a price

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

Katiana
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2008 13:33 |  #3

Okay, I'll e-mail him about that right now :]

gear list .x.
flikr (external link)

Tumeg
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2008 13:51 |  #4

First off, congrats! I am also just 16, so I won't be telling you what you should say but; Is the "old couple" recognizable? If so, you will need a model release before you do anything.

| Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 17-40MM F/4L | Canon 50MM F/1.4 | Canon 85MM F/1.8 | Canon 580EX II |

LW ­ Dail
703 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 30, 2008 14:02 as a reply to  @ Tumeg's post |  #5

While we wait, I'd like to say congratulations! 16 and someone wants to use your work!

I'm feeling like a momma hen, all puffed up and proud of you! Regardless of what happens, congratulations!

Canon 5D: 24-105mm L IS, 100-400mm L IS. Canon PowerShot ELPH 340HS, Canon GII. Canon AE-1: FD 50mm, 80-200mm. Holga 120N.
"Photography is my one recreation, and I think it should be done well." Lewis Carroll

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 30, 2008 14:34 |  #6

Of course they're willing to pay - sorry but that brought a tear to my eye as there's so many posts on here wanting to get free stuff first. Yea, as advised get the spec info and tell them you'd be happy to discuss usage rights.

Little tip, don't sound like a pumped up 16 year old when responding ;)

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Dec 30, 2008 14:39 |  #7

The link you posted does not work, before you get too excited, are they for real?

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Dec 30, 2008 14:48 |  #8

Katiana wrote in post #6970787 (external link)
I'm a lowly amateur and I really have no idea what to do with this XD. I know that I'm willing to give up the photo for use, and the website that the man gives is legitimate plus he offers compensation. I just really don't know what to say back. As a sixteen year old my business skills are rather stunted :p. I've read over a few threads, but I'm still not really sure about what I should say. Do I just reply with a 'Thanks, awesome, how much are you willing to give' (obviously a little more eloquently phrased)?

Thanks for your help!

I don't know exactly what you meant by this statement but what is usually done in these situations is that you sell licensing rights not the image itself or in other words the copyright. You will want to basically sell a license for the buyer to use your image according to certain guidelines. I just wanted to clarify and wasn't sure if you thought that you were selling the image outright.

Second the "you'll need a model release if the people are recognizable" comment.

Tumeg
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2008 16:23 |  #9

hawkeye60 wrote in post #6971229 (external link)
The link you posted does not work, before you get too excited, are they for real?

There is a space after the "www." and before the ".com" I typed in the url without the spaces, an got this: http://www.beachproper​tiesofflorida.com/ (external link)

Not sure what the page shows though, lol, I am on a mac and it is blocked by the darn "parental controls"

| Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 17-40MM F/4L | Canon 50MM F/1.4 | Canon 85MM F/1.8 | Canon 580EX II |

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2008 16:44 as a reply to  @ Tumeg's post |  #10

Make sure you have a releases for the 'older couple'.

Katiana
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 30, 2008 18:07 |  #11

Dennis_Hammer wrote in post #6971970 (external link)
Make sure you have a releases for the 'older couple'.

They are not recognizable as they are in silhouette (here is the link to the picture in question (external link))

Here's what I said

Hello Aaron,
Thank you for contacting me about the use of one of my photos! I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about the newspaper ad first. How large would the ad be and approximately how many copies of it would be ran?
Thanks so much,
Kate

This is what he replied to me with:

Kate,

The ad will be 3x5 inches. and the ad will run in the Walton Sun newspaper down here on the beach. The Sun prints about 6,000 copies every Saturday. It would be a one time use.

Thanks for all of the kind words and help, you guys have no idea how much I appreciate it.

gear list .x.
flikr (external link)

EnronRocks
557 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 30, 2008 18:20 |  #12

Well, quick question. He describes the picture as an old couple, do you know the people in the picture? Before you sell the image, you need some legal documents signed by the people in the image stating that it's "ok" for you to sell an image of them for profit.

EDIT: Forget that, I took a look at the picture. You should be fine.

Name: Garrett
Visit My Website (external link) and My Gallery (external link).
AIM - EnronRocks

scotteisenphotography
Never been blessed
4,147 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 30, 2008 18:21 |  #13

I'd personally charge them atleast 250 dollars, probably more. It's a good photo. Doesn't matter how old you are.

2X Canon 1Dx|Canon 1D Mark IV|Canon 5D Mark III|14mm 2.8L II|16-35mm 2.8L II|24mm 1.4L II|35mm 1.4L|50mm 1.2L |85mm 1.2L II|70-200 2.8L IS|200mm 2.0L IS|300mm 2.8L IS|400mm 2.8L IS|800mm 5.6L IS| 580EX II| 600EX RT II|

dbvirago
367 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 30, 2008 18:42 |  #14

Tumeg wrote in post #6971847 (external link)
There is a space after the "www." and before the ".com" I typed in the url without the spaces, an got this: http://www.beachproper​tiesofflorida.com/ (external link)

Not sure what the page shows though, lol, I am on a mac and it is blocked by the darn "parental controls"

But the orginal link only looks like http://www.beachproper​tiesofflorida.com/ (external link) but points to disabled myspace page. You gotta be a real screw up to get kicked off myspace.

Whatever they tell you, don't send them any money for any reason, or give them access to any personal information. This has scam written all over it.

Darryl

http://www.brooksimage​s.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/brooksimages (external link)
http://twitter.com/#!/​dbvirago (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 30, 2008 19:01 |  #15

dbvirago wrote in post #6972682 (external link)
But the orginal link only looks like http://www.beachproper​tiesofflorida.com/ (external link) but points to disabled myspace page. You gotta be a real screw up to get kicked off myspace.

Whatever they tell you, don't send them any money for any reason, or give them access to any personal information. This has scam written all over it.

I think you're a bit confused honestly, that's not a notice of someone getting kicked off Myspace. They have that warning for external links and when it's not written correctly (i.e. spaces there not supposed to be) that will come up. My guess is she took that link from a Myspace message? My guess.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

sponsored links

2,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
Someone wants to use my picture
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.