Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 31 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 14:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blurb Book Not Happy - Whose made one recently?

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 14:52 |  #1

So I just got my blurb book and I am not happy with it. I've ordered from them a year ago and I did not have any problems.

Text got cut off by a lot. This was not an issue with my first book.

Text on spine is not vertically aligned properly. Again not an issue with my first book.

Spine too large for book. Not an issue in my first book.

So my question is, who has made an image wrap book recently. Are the bindings all like that? Mine is an 8x10 book.

sponsored links
SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 14:56 |  #2

Wow - have you contacted them? If so, what did they say?

5D4 | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 15:00 |  #3

While they replied to me pretty quickly I was not really happy with the response. They gave me a shipping label to return the book, which is understandable. Its just annoying for me to find a UPS store to drop it down or schedule a pickup because I have to find time to be home now. They gave me a code to order another book for free. They told me that for future references the imagewrap had to be at least 1 inch away from the edges. Now this is a problem, if I place the text 1 inch away and I don't have a wrapping issue, this throws off the whole positioning. As for the spine problem, they couldn't guarantee the problems could be fixed. So I am suppose to order a second book and hope that the problems get resolved?

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:06 |  #4

Are you not able to schedule a pickup at work? I've done that but I understand situations can be different. At least they are taking it back - but it's like you want to know what happened during their QA check.

Why would moving the text up throw off the whole positioning? Are you triyng not to run into the whiskers?

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 15:14 |  #5

It's just more of a hassle. I mean it would of been ideal if they sent me what I ordered.

Yes, I would love to get some questions answered first before I place my order again as I am seeing major differences between my first and second book.

So this is how ideally I wanted my cover to look like.

Let's say I move everything by an inch, because they tell me to move it that far away due to the clipping. This is how it would look like.

If they clip it, then it might look correct, however if they don't. Don't you think it will look off? The reason I had it so tight was due to the fact that the image on my first book was not clipped. I figured it would be the same this time around.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:17 |  #6

You've overcompensated with that. From looking at it, you are too far up and too far left now.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:20 |  #7

I'm at work so I have to upload this... but here is what I think would look good.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 15:21 |  #8

I know. What I'm wondering is if there is consistency in the printing. I could fix it to make it perfect utilizing what I have now as a reference, but what if there is no image trimming this time. As I've said, the first time I printed the book my cover was not clipped at all. Bytheway thanks for the help. The good thing about this is, I can utilize this to make necessary adjustments within the book itself.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:21 |  #9

If not even moved a bit more to the right. You only needed to move it to the left a tiny bit to give a little spacing from the edge.

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,814 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 31, 2008 15:22 |  #10

ooo wrote in post #6978528 (external link)
I know. What I'm wondering is if there is consistency in the printing. I could fix it to make it perfect utilizing what I have now as a reference, but what if there is no image trimming this time. As I've said, the first time I printed the book my cover was not clipped at all.

Well I guess you can only try it with the corrections and see. To me, it looks as if they have changed their product and printing ways since you ordered your last book (if you ordered the exact same thing as last time). The bindings and all are completely different - the book cover material looks different too.

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 15:34 |  #11

I didn't order exactly the same thing last time. Last year I ordered a dust jacket, but it was an 8x10 book as well. I've heard a lot of complaints about the binding. Apparently the bindings are too large for the books. I don't know if it is the case here or is this their new bindings.

Actually I just found someones flickr. Apparently it looks like they are starting to use these new bindings on all their books. Guess I will have to compensate for that.

http://flickr.com …s/sets/72157611​413712384/ (external link)

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 31, 2008 16:12 |  #12

If I had to guess, they are using larger bindings now to support the premium paper, which is thicker, and thus requires a thicker binding. Looking at the ling supplied by "ooo", you can see how the premium paper fills out the binding nicely, while the regular paper does not.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 31, 2008 16:14 |  #13

"ooo", when you built the cover page, did you use the Blurb template to do it, or did you supply your own? If you supplied your own template (via a custom laid out jpg), did you use any recommendations from a site on where to put the text, or just put it in an area that you thought would be safe.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2008 17:55 |  #14

It was a custom template, basically a full page image. I figured the image would not be trimmed because it was not trimmed on my first book. If I knew they were going to trim it I would have moved the text further inside.

With the dustcover selection, they tell you they will trim the book by an 1/8" but they did not trim it. The warning is shown on the image wrap as well, but I figure they were not going to trim it as well. I guess I was wrong.

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 06, 2009 17:16 |  #15

Here's my blurb update.

Processing was super fast, took two days to process and mail out my book.

Packaging wasn't as good as last time. No big deal.

Notice the left border this time, hence the text on the right side doesn't seem to have enough padding. I'll live with it. It's not a big deal.

The left border on the cover was done in order to have the text on my spine aligned.

Binding is actually correct this time.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the results. It's not perfect, but its acceptable. I'm not going to be picky.

sponsored links

2,006 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blurb Book Not Happy - Whose made one recently?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.