Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jan 2009 (Monday) 21:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camadapter - A great discovery

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 05, 2009 21:56 |  #1

Doing a lot of street photography and travel photography, and getting a new (to me) 5d and the brick, I wanted a grip strap for securing my hold. I don't want to add a grip (size and weight). I also wanted to retain the use of a neck strap for shoulder-carrying and for lens changes.

I researched it here and learned of the camadapter rig. I purchased the adapter and grip. I got the one with the Manfrotto RC2 quick release.

The QR works great, the grip strap fits great. No need to remove the unit to change the battery or for mounting on the tripod. My 5d feels secure and the weight of the brick seems to mostly disappear. The only issue is I have to retrain my finger to reach the adjustment wheel behind the shutter. I reach it fine but a slightly different angle.

Thanks all for the great forum, the helpful advice, the usually friendly environment and the wealth of knowledge.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
sparksdjs
521 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Joined May 2001

Jan 05, 2009 22:16 |  #2

The Camdapter is a nice accessory - I use one with my 40D. The camera is a nice fit for me without a grip (used one with my 350D) but I like using a hand strap. But until your post I had not seen the RC2 QR model - nice! I may have to "upgrade".

Dave

Canon 70D | 15-85IS | 70-200 f/4L IS | 35mm f/2 IS | 18-135IS STM | 18-55IS | 70-300IS | 10-22mm | 100mm macro | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | Canon G7X Mk II | Canon G12

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 06, 2009 08:47 |  #3

This is a nice (and seemingly wellbuilt item).

You can have a similar setup for free with some plates (like the one for my 322RC2).

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2009 11:47 |  #4

nw85887 wrote in post #7015356 (external link)
You can have a similar setup for free with some plates (like the one for my 322RC2).

I am not sure what this comment means. Care to elaborate?

Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 06, 2009 12:44 |  #5

single_track wrote in post #7016348 (external link)
I am not sure what this comment means. Care to elaborate?

It'd be easier to show you (but I'm at work w/o pics).

But, the mountplate for my 322RC2 has a little metal loop on the screw (to tighten/untighten the screw). With the neckstrap on the top 2 loops, I can loop the handstrap through the end of the shutterbutton side neckstrap loop and on the bottom through the metal loop on the screw on the mountplate.

Yes, the neckstrap is 90ºCW from where it would be with the Camadaptor (where I actually prefer it), but hey its free. I can access the battery without removing the plate and it mounts to the tripodhead without issue.

I was saying it was a "free-er" way of accomplishing a similar outcome (assuming your tripod mountplate screw has a metal loop on it).

On my old tripod mountplate (which didn't have any type of loop or slit in it to loop a strap through), I cut a slit into it with a dremel on one side to accomplish the same reult as described above.

But like I said, it'd be easier to show you than to explain it. I've yet to have an issue with handstraps failing or loosening (even with a 70-200 mounted).

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 06, 2009 12:50 |  #6

I tried several different handstraps until I found the Camdapter which I've now used for several years. As soon as I learned my 5D MKII was shipping I ordered a Camdapter for it. Top quality.

j2photography
476 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 07, 2009 03:16 |  #7

In for links + pics of this product.
I can't find it.

FLICKR (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=693311
Everything must go!!

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 06:36 |  #8

j2photography wrote in post #7022116 (external link)
In for links + pics of this product.
I can't find it.

Have you tried Google? ???

It was literally the 1st search result.

http://www.camdapter.c​om/ (external link)

j2photography
476 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 07, 2009 13:10 |  #9

Wow. I saw that but I didn't know that's what you were talking about.

I totally feel stupid. LOL. my bad.

FLICKR (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=693311
Everything must go!!

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2009 17:59 |  #10

j2photography wrote in post #7024943 (external link)
Wow. I saw that but I didn't know that's what you were talking about.

I totally feel stupid. LOL. my bad.

Don't feel bad. It may actually be my fault. I am the OP and I spelled the product name wrong. Sorry.

sponsored links

1,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camadapter - A great discovery
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.