Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 04:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You know I really love my 1VHS

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2009 04:03 |  #1

Its true. Its such a solid machine of a camera. Its crisp shutter, build like a tank, and excellent metering are just a few of the things that I love about this. I was just re-reading my manual and looking up some of the specs on Canon's website. I saw that the shutter is good for 150,000 cycles (Over 4166 36 exposure rolls of film, or 6250 rolls of 24 exposure film) and realized that this camera will never break on me. I could take this to the freezing tundras of Antarctica, or to the searing hot deserts of Iraq, and not have to give a second thought about whether or not the camera will function. The weather sealing on the body is simply amazing as well. Ive shot this body with a 16-35L in a typhoon in Okinawa, and the body took the rain and wind no problem.

The speed of the camera is amazing. Looking past the 10FPS (which I personally feel is ridiculous for a film body), the camera just sprints with everything it does. The AF speed is the fastest Ive ever used on any camera. The shutter release is absolutely instant, and viewfinder blackout time is simply not there. Cycling through AF points is a breeze and the controls respond instantly.

I personally feel Canon Gave the camera the "V" badge for "Victory" because the camera was well ahead of its time.

Just a list of the various EOS bodies Ive used of the years so you have an Idea of what I compare this camera to:

EOS D30
EOS 20D
EOS 1D
EOS 1D Mark II
EOS 1D Mark IIn
EOS 5D

Ive shot with an EOS 1D Mark III but not extensively. It was more or less for about an hour in a photo walk situation.

I could go on and on about the high points of the camera, but I think you guys get my point :) .

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links
Mark
Dammit I need sleep
3,386 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2009 08:27 |  #2

It is a 1-series after all! :D

Mark

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2009 14:20 |  #3

pendulum15 wrote in post #7015249 (external link)
It is a 1-series after all! :D

Seriously, 1-series are in a complete league of their own. I understand that they're not for everyone, but honestly its the best for me. Any 1-Series body literally feels like an extension of my body. I feel in absolute and total control when shooting with one. I owned a 5D for a weekend and sold it because I couldnt get used to it after shooting 1-series bodies for so long. It felt like a toy rather than a tool, if you can understand.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2009 15:31 |  #4

HELP!!!!! 1V-HS Burst Rate Not Hitting 10 FPS!!!!!
j/k

The only downside to the 1VHS is the battery. The NP-E2 batteries that I have no longer hold their charge very well, so I'm using the battery magazine with 8 AA batteries. It works well enough. With the battery magazine, you can only get 7 frames per second. To get 10, you need to have the NP-E2 or modify the magazine holder to trigger a switch. It's not like I need it though. Velvia 50 and Provia 100F are the primary rolls that go through it.

Now if only Sterlingtek made an NP-E2 replacement... or anybody else for that matter.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 14, 2009 22:43 as a reply to  @ jacuff's post |  #5

I think that a digital 1V would be rather neat.

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 14, 2009 23:49 |  #6

I'm so happy, I'll be buying myself a 1-Series for my 16th birthday, either a 1D Classic or II. ($500 vs $1100) I can't wait..

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 15, 2009 02:24 |  #7

XterraJohn wrote in post #7079737 (external link)
I think that a digital 1V would be rather neat.

People have been wanting a 1D with a detachable grip for a loonnng time now...for now all we have is the 5D and that doesn't have 1D AF.

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

Rudeofus
502 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 15, 2009 06:07 |  #8

Many years ago I bought a used F3 because I read so many threads that it's completely indestructible. It wasn't in great shape, but it worked. After a year the shutter needed replacement (500 Euros), 4 years later the mirror box broke (would have been another 400 Euros, but I decided to dump the camera instead and switched to my EOS 3). All this happened although I treated the camera with great care and never dropped it or anything.

With old respect for old quality bodies, unfortunately I've seen at least one of them fail miserably on me. 150.000 shutter releases my sound great in theory, but I'm not sure Canon repairs it for free if the camera breaks earlier.

Discovery is not accidental. We discover only when we make ourselves ready to receive and photographers seek discovery by mastering their craft. But it begins somewhere else. It begins with daisies, kids, awful scenes, falling in love, or growing old. It begins with that which matters to you. And it ends with visual statements that express what matters to you about these things. It is not sight the camera satisfies so thoroughly, but the mind. - Christian Molidor

jms_uk
410 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2009 10:29 |  #9

jacuff wrote in post #7017895 (external link)
HELP!!!!! 1V-HS Burst Rate Not Hitting 10 FPS!!!!!
j/k

The only downside to the 1VHS is the battery. The NP-E2 batteries that I have no longer hold their charge very well, so I'm using the battery magazine with 8 AA batteries.

if you have a spare NP-E3, you could change the end part [two small screws] and use that instead in PB-E2 ?

Canon EOS 1DMk3 / EF 17-40L f4 /  / EF 70-200L f4 / Flickr (external link)

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 03, 2009 11:16 |  #10

jms_uk wrote in post #7245311 (external link)
if you have a spare NP-E3, you could change the end part [two small screws] and use that instead in PB-E2 ?

Yeah, I tried that and it worked. I sold mine to a member here a few weeks ago, so it doesn't matter anymore... not that I needed 10 FPS anymore than I need 7 FPS on the 1VHS anyways. ;)

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

jms_uk
410 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 15, 2009 11:49 |  #11

sold EOS 3 for EOS 1V :)

IMAGE: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4814/camswo6.jpg

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 15, 2009 21:27 |  #12

Other than FPS and custom features, what does the 1V have on the 3? I've heard those are really the two reasons to go up from a 3...

Christian

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 16, 2009 03:04 |  #13

nphsbuckeye wrote in post #7333060 (external link)
Other than FPS and custom features, what does the 1V have on the 3? I've heard those are really the two reasons to go up from a 3...

The ability to download shooting data with the EOS Link cable and software. Also the EOS 3 may fog IR film, the EOS-1V does not.

jms_uk
410 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 16, 2009 04:14 |  #14

Also, assist button on the back for a registered focus point.

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 16, 2009 04:27 |  #15

jms_uk wrote in post #7334859 (external link)
Also, assist button on the back for a registered focus point.

Yeah that's right. The EOS 3 has eye control though. When it was calibrated, it worked really good... so the need for an assist button on the back isn't quite as strong.

sponsored links

2,345 views & 0 likes for this thread
You know I really love my 1VHS
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.