Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 06 Jan 2009 (Tuesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New website is finally up and running!

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2009 12:09 |  #1

Hey Folks,
I hope I'm posting this on the right forum. After the last few months of family medical issues as well as all of the other events going on in my life, I was finally able to sit down and find a new hosting site for my web page. I still have my "beta testers" going over things, but I'd like to get some early feedback and opinions on the new site both in regards to the material as well as layout, etc.. Except for an issue with the slide show on the home page, I think I have everything unhosed. If you run into any problems...broken links, formatting issues or if something just doesn't look right, please let me know what browser you are using (as well as which version of said browser) and your monitor's resolution (640x480, 1280x1024, etc)...the more details you can provide, the better.

I've tried to keep things clean and simple to put maximum emphasis on the work itself and I have tried to provide a good cross section of what I feel is some of my better/best material. As this is (eventually) going to be for my business, PLEASE be brutal here...I really need honest opinions and not the proverbial "pat on the back". So with no further gilding the lily, here's the addy...

http://walczakphoto.iz​free.com (external link)

(Please note I will be getting my own domain later...this is just to get things up and running again).

Alrighty, lemme know what ya'll think!
Peace,
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
spuddevans
111 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 06, 2009 13:34 |  #2

Hi Jim, just had a quick peek at your site, (viewed at 1024x768 ) and the 1st thing that hits my annoyance button is the "click here to enter" splash page. It doesn't really serve any great purpose only to slow your visitor down from seeing your site !!

You said you had a problem with the slideshow, and in my browser ( FF3) it looks quite poor, the resolution is far too low and almost made me just close the site altogether.

Your galleries themselves are ok, one improvement might be to make "Next" and "Previous" buttons on either side of the pic about halfway down the pic so that on resolutions like mine you can instantly see that there's more than just that one photo in the gallery. (on each gallery page at my res' I couldnt see the thumbnails under the pic without scrolling)

Also, you might want to change thee way your email address is displayed, perhaps using something like this http://w2.syronex.com/​jmr/safemailto/ (external link) otherwise you will get a mountain of spam once the spambots glean your email address.

Well done on getting a site up and running.

Tim

Canon 400D, 7D, EF50mm 1.8, EFS17-85mm, 135mm pentax m42 2.8, 2 sets of m42 extension tubes, 1 m42 macro bellows. Ps elements 1,5 & 8
My gallery: www.velvet-art.co.uk (external link)

digimanual
27 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 06, 2009 15:03 |  #3

[Home] link in the page of http://walczakphoto.iz​free.com/music/music.h​tml (external link) does not work.

Also, I don't like a website using a cover page. It is useless.

:) DigiManual.com (external link) :: A user manual provider :)

Walczak ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 06, 2009 21:00 |  #4

digimanual wrote in post #7017667 (external link)
[Home] link in the page of http://walczakphoto.iz​free.com/music/music.h​tml (external link) does not work.

Also, I don't like a website using a cover page. It is useless.

I just clicked on the link you had there and it seemed to work fine. If I may ask, do you remember exactly what page you were on when you clicked it and it didn't work?

I'll keep investigating...thanks​. BTW...the "cover page" is just a place holder for the moment. I was having some trouble with this new hosting site, so that's something else I have to get fixed.

Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Gear List

aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2009 15:56 |  #5

You might also want to look past HTML 1.0 standards, you're using depreciated html code, maps and such where javascript or ajax would work a whole lot better and faster.

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 08, 2009 14:18 |  #6

aram535 wrote in post #7026181 (external link)
You might also want to look past HTML 1.0 standards, you're using depreciated html code, maps and such where javascript or ajax would work a whole lot better and faster.

While I'd completely agree that the code here is quite a mess (sorry, you asked for honest), I would not be using javascript or ajax as the solution. Maybe it's a case of different strokes, but I would recommend implementing your navigation with html and css (i.e. something all browsers can use), and then looking at a flash gallery, like those available at http://www.flashniftie​s.com/ (external link) to replace your galleries (and whatever the slideshow is intended to be).

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

816_Studios_Inc
185 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 08, 2009 16:29 |  #7

tracknut wrote in post #7033181 (external link)
While I'd completely agree that the code here is quite a mess (sorry, you asked for honest), I would not be using javascript or ajax as the solution. Maybe it's a case of different strokes, but I would recommend implementing your navigation with html and css (i.e. something all browsers can use), and then looking at a flash gallery, like those available at http://www.flashniftie​s.com/ (external link) to replace your galleries (and whatever the slideshow is intended to be).

Dave

^^^ what he said!

Congrats on getting your own site up and running, I remember how excited I was when I got my first one up. However, what are you going to be using your website for? If this is a means of attracting business, I would urge you to consider seeking out someone that knows the ins and out of web development a little better. I am a web developer by profession, and just to be honest, only because I would want your business to do well, you should consider a sight revision to one a little more appealing to the eye. If you want to do it yourself, there are a ton of website templates that you could buy, or even download for free.

G'luck!

digimanual
27 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 09, 2009 14:30 |  #8

Form this page:
http://walczakphoto.iz​free.com/music/music.h​tml (external link)
click [home] menu, the link (http://walczakphoto.iz​free.com/page%202/pain​%20menu01.html (external link)) does not work.

Walczak Photo wrote in post #7020295 (external link)
I just clicked on the link you had there and it seemed to work fine. If I may ask, do you remember exactly what page you were on when you clicked it and it didn't work?

I'll keep investigating...thanks​. BTW...the "cover page" is just a place holder for the moment. I was having some trouble with this new hosting site, so that's something else I have to get fixed.

Jim

:) DigiManual.com (external link) :: A user manual provider :)

Walczak ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 10, 2009 09:51 |  #9

Thank you!!! Alrighty...that link has been fixed. Twas just a spelling error on my part :oops:.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,333 views & 0 likes for this thread
New website is finally up and running!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.