Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

France: Brewery

ThisOldHag
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 05:41 |  #1

I visited France recently on assignment and took these two photos at a privately owned brewery. What could I have done to improve the photos at the time of shooting? Your comments and critique is appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.CindyLouDale.com (external link)
Read my Blog (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2009 07:13 |  #2

The natural light gives a very authentic and rustic look; but I think a subdued flash would have added some sparkle to the glass and liquid plus would have exposed more character in the man's face. So just a little flash might have helped but not a full flash.

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 07:30 |  #3

Thanks for that SwingBopper. How does one subdue a flash? On the rare occasion that I used a flash my subjects look startled - as if they've been caught in oncoming headlights. Could you point me in the direction of learning/reading up about lighting on this forum please?

Gear List

SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2009 07:45 |  #4

There is a Small Flash and Studio Lighting Forum on POTN. I'd search there first and if you don't find what you are looking for, ask for help there.
Subduing a flash can be either setting the flash power lower if your flash has an adjustment, or throwing something over the flash like a white handkerchief to diffuse the light, or aiming the flash away from the subject (toward the ceiling or a bright wall or a piece of foamboard) so the light reflects back toward the subject after being diffused and reduced in intensity.

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

Agamemnon
308 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 09:05 as a reply to  @ SwingBopper's post |  #5

Also, assuming you're using Automatic flash (E-TTL mode) with your 40D/50D + 430EX, the way to turn down the power on the flash is to dial down FEC, flash exposure compensation.

It's the ISO button, if I'm not mistaken, on both your 40D/50D, and turning the rear thumb wheel will turn up or down the FEC. Try turning it to -2 stops (The maximum), and seeing if that's subtle enough.

If not, you can set your 430EX to manual mode, and set it at 1/64th or 1/32nd power, and see how that goes.

Ryan
Gear: My Gear

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 11:37 |  #6

Thanks SwingBopper.

OMG Agamemnon. I'll need to find my manual, a thesaurus, and a very long drink to bring all that down to idiot level (or just ask my husband).

Thank you both!

Gear List

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2009 02:42 |  #7

Agamemnon wrote in post #7023273 (external link)
Also, assuming you're using Automatic flash (E-TTL mode) with your 40D/50D + 430EX, the way to turn down the power on the flash is to dial down FEC, flash exposure compensation.

It's the ISO button, if I'm not mistaken, on both your 40D/50D, and turning the rear thumb wheel will turn up or down the FEC. Try turning it to -2 stops (The maximum), and seeing if that's subtle enough.

If not, you can set your 430EX to manual mode, and set it at 1/64th or 1/32nd power, and see how that goes.

Just realised, no flash was used in these shots.

Gear List

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 18, 2009 06:09 |  #8

I really like the second one... the brighter light catching the drink, the room, clothes, care in holding the glass, and the face bright enough to share the smile while shadowed enough to be totally unobtrusive... all add up to suggest a life-long habit of appreciation and refinement, and make it clear where the subject is... and not just for the viewer of the photo. Bringing down the other bright areas just a smidge - the shelf at back, hand, shirt perhaps - not enough to compromise the integrity or feel but just enough to retain more detail and avoid capturing the eye too abruptly. The first shot, while ok and sharing the nice overall tonality, doesn't have the strengths of the second. Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2009 06:34 |  #9

thanks tonydee, now I'll need to ask my 'technical director' (husband/second camera/driver/bank manager) to show me how to do that :-|

your appreciation of the photograph's subject is almost poetic, sensual even :-)
perhaps I should have asked you to write the article that accompanied it ;-)a

Gear List

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 18, 2009 06:52 |  #10

ThisOldHag wrote in post #7754810 (external link)
thanks tonydee, now I'll need to ask my 'technical director' (husband/second camera/driver/bank manager) to show me how to do that :-|

Should be a doodle for him... 30 seconds with a burn tool, or - if the highlights aren't fully burnt - a couple clicks in a curves adjustment....

ThisOldHag wrote in post #7754810 (external link)
your appreciation of the photograph's subject is almost poetic, sensual even :-)
perhaps I should have asked you to write the article that accompanied it ;-)a

Judging from your website, that would be totally counter-productive :-). Like the character-by-character introduction... very attention-grabbing.

Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2009 07:21 |  #11

tonydee wrote in post #7754874 (external link)
Should be a doodle for him... 30 seconds with a burn tool, or - if the highlights aren't fully burnt - a couple clicks in a curves adjustment....

Judging from your website, that would be totally counter-productive :-). Like the character-by-character introduction... very attention-grabbing.

Cheers, Tony

:cool:

Gear List

sponsored links

1,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
France: Brewery
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.