Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors

Dave__C
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2009 12:43 |  #1

UPDATE: I decided to upgrade to 50D after all. I am actually more pleased with the camera than I thought I would be. It's a clear improvement, but I'd still like to see a big step forward with the 60D.
---------------

I'm not so impressed with 50D. I think I'll wait for the next one before biting.

Here are a few suggestions for what I hope to see in a 60D around late 2009 or early 2010:

(in no particular order)

1. improved sensitivity. Let's see ISO6400 with expansion to 12800.

• We should also have an in-camera option for noise reduction that should at least achieve the sort of performance I can get easily with Noise Ninja.
  • STOP increasing pixel density and focus more on sensitivity and noise reduction!!!
2. Built-in GPS
  • Tag photos with coordinates and maintain accurate camera clock.
3. Touch screen capability
  • Perhaps we could eliminate a few buttons and leave more space for display.
  • iphone-like pan and zoom
4. Fingerprint sensor with integrated joystick functionality
  • Already present on cell phones in Japan. these are starting to show up on consumer electronics such as GPS units from Medion. The fingerprint sensor can be used to lock the camera and thus make it less attractive to a thief. The navigation (joystick) functionality is quite sufficient to replace the existing joystick.
  • For anyone who shares a camera, the sensor can readily distinguish between different individuals and load personal settings. This is just like the car keyfobs that preset seat and mirror settings for different drivers.
5. Internal processing for high dynamic range
  • As Moore's law continues to play out, we should see very significant improvements in internal processing capability. Why not incorporate exposure blending or other HDR techniques to expand dynamic range?
6. HD Video recording with support for external microphone.
  • I consider this one to be mandatory for my next DSLR purchase. I have a Canon HD camcorder already, but I want similar capability in a package that can benefit from my SLR lenses.
  • As long as we're adding video with its corresponding audio support, why not add a voice recording option that would enable storage of comments tagged to a photo?
7. Is it time to consider SD Memory?
  • I'm not too concerned about this one, but you have to wonder how much longer we'll stick with these relatively large compact flash devices.
8. Face detection option should also be able to utilize skin tone to tune white balance.
  • Face detection for AF is becoming more popular, especially in the point-N-shoot category. If Canon adds this to the 60D, then perhaps it would help to also be able to fine-tune white balance based on the skin tone. I often shoot in AWB mode, then tweak in Photoshop elements using the adjust color for skin tone tool. It's quick and very effective without using RAW files.
9. Integrated WiFi
  • Hey, if a $300 iPod Touch can have it, why not my $1200 camera?
  • Direct-to-flickr shooting?

10. Oh yeah....better low light AF and more reliable AF overall.

My gear:
Canon 5D mk III, 7D | Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L IS, 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L, 24-105 mm f4L, 16-35 mm f4LIS, 50 mm f1.4, 100 mm f2.8L IS macro, | Canon 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links
acrouse
30 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 07, 2009 22:31 |  #2

i agree, i am not very impressed with the 50d either

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2009 14:24 |  #3

Can I add : Full Frame -12 or 15MPix and 7 or 8fps (like D700) ?

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,144 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 14:32 |  #4

Ultra fast contrast auto focus. This eliminates the need for a shutter and allows the focus point to be moved anywhere on the screen.
Super high res electronic viewfinder. This eliminates the both mirrors and pentaprism and allows for things like live view functionality in the viewfinder.
Flash sync to 1/8000.
Square sensor thus eliminating the need for ever having to turn a camera 90 degrees.
Viewfinder out port. This allows me to place the camera on the ground and use my Zen or some other PDS as an external viewfinder. This way I don’t have to crawl in the dirt to get that macro shot.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Zwiz
152 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 08, 2009 15:01 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #5

I hope for a 20 MPixels APS-C sensor for the 60D. How the hell those 5D/1D/1Ds cameras with their low-pixel density sensors can produce such amazing images? Are the owners of these cameras know they are stuck with the low-tech sensors? ;-)a

XT/XTi/40D, 10-22mm, 300mm f/4L IS, 100-400mm L IS, 430EX II.
Gallery: http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/blubOmatic (external link)

Dave__C
THREAD ­ STARTER
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2009 21:00 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #7033276 (external link)
Ultra fast contrast auto focus. This eliminates the need for a shutter and allows the focus point to be moved anywhere on the screen.
Super high res electronic viewfinder. This eliminates the both mirrors and pentaprism and allows for things like live view functionality in the viewfinder.
Flash sync to 1/8000.
Square sensor thus eliminating the need for ever having to turn a camera 90 degrees.
Viewfinder out port. This allows me to place the camera on the ground and use my Zen or some other PDS as an external viewfinder. This way I don’t have to crawl in the dirt to get that macro shot.

Great point on the electronic viewfinder. I've often wondered when that might happen. Imagine the improvement in reliability if we can get rid of some of the moving parts. However, they'll need to really work on low-power consumption to make this happen. The old-fashion viewfinder essentially burns no power and produces no heat. In live view, there's quite a bit of power consumed and supposedly the sensor can overheat.

Square sensor idea is a good one too, but it seriously increases cost.

Here's an idea for autofocus...track the pupil and focus on the spot that the photographer is looking at in the viewfinder. I know for sure that such tracking systems exist, but I don't know how much processing they require.

My gear:
Canon 5D mk III, 7D | Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L IS, 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L, 24-105 mm f4L, 16-35 mm f4LIS, 50 mm f1.4, 100 mm f2.8L IS macro, | Canon 580 EX II Flash

gjl711
56,144 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 21:04 |  #7

Dave__C wrote in post #7035742 (external link)
... However, they'll need to really work on low-power consumption to make this happen....

And really improve the resolution of the tiny virefinder lcds they currently use.

Dave__C wrote in post #7035742 (external link)
Here's an idea for autofocus...track the pupil and focus on the spot that the photographer is looking at in the viewfinder. I know for sure that such tracking systems exist, but I don't know how much processing they require.

Canon already had that feature in the Elan7. http://www.usa.canon.c​om …t&fcategoryid=1​11&id=2649 (external link)

Dave__C
THREAD ­ STARTER
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2009 21:10 |  #8

Zwiz wrote in post #7033483 (external link)
I hope for a 20 MPixels APS-C sensor for the 60D. How the hell those 5D/1D/1Ds cameras with their low-pixel density sensors can produce such amazing images? Are the owners of these cameras know they are stuck with the low-tech sensors? ;-)a

Hey...if we had that, could we shift the focal plane and get 10 MP with a crop factor of around 2.2 (1.4 x 1.6)? Or maybe a 30 MP full format sensor that can also work as a 10MP crop sensor camera? Call it the 65D.

My gear:

Dave__C
THREAD ­ STARTER
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2009 21:14 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #7035772 (external link)
And really improve the resolution of the tiny virefinder lcds they currently use.

Canon already had that feature in the Elan7. http://www.usa.canon.c​om …t&fcategoryid=1​11&id=2649 (external link)

I wonder why they dropped it? Probably more complex and costly that it was worth.

My gear:

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 08, 2009 21:40 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Dave__C wrote in post #7024713 (external link)
I'm not so impressed with 50D. I think I'll wait for the next one before biting.

Here are a few suggestions for what I hope to see in a 60D around late 2009 or early 2010:

(in no particular order)

1. improved sensitivity. Let's see ISO6400 with expansion to 12800.
  • We should also have an in-camera option for noise reduction that should at least achieve the sort of performance I can get easily with Noise Ninja.
  • STOP increasing pixel density and focus more on sensitivity and noise reduction!!!
2. Built-in GPS
  • Tag photos with coordinates and maintain accurate camera clock.
3. Touch screen capability
  • Perhaps we could eliminate a few buttons and leave more space for display.
  • iphone-like pan and zoom
4. Fingerprint sensor with integrated joystick functionality
  • Already present on cell phones in Japan. these are starting to show up on consumer electronics such as GPS units from Medion. The fingerprint sensor can be used to lock the camera and thus make it less attractive to a thief. The navigation (joystick) functionality is quite sufficient to replace the existing joystick.
  • For anyone who shares a camera, the sensor can readily distinguish between different individuals and load personal settings. This is just like the car keyfobs that preset seat and mirror settings for different drivers.
5. Internal processing for high dynamic range
  • As Moore's law continues to play out, we should see very significant improvements in internal processing capability. Why not incorporate exposure blending or other HDR techniques to expand dynamic range?
6. HD Video recording with support for external microphone.
  • I consider this one to be mandatory for my next DSLR purchase. I have a Canon HD camcorder already, but I want similar capability in a package that can benefit from my SLR lenses.
  • As long as we're adding video with its corresponding audio support, why not add a voice recording option that would enable storage of comments tagged to a photo?
  • I'm not too concerned about this one, but you have to wonder how much longer we'll stick with these relatively large compact flash devices.
8. Face detection option should also be able to utilize skin tone to tune white balance.
  • Face detection for AF is becoming more popular, especially in the point-N-shoot category. If Canon adds this to the 60D, then perhaps it would help to also be able to fine-tune white balance based on the skin tone. I often shoot in AWB mode, then tweak in Photoshop elements using the adjust color for skin tone tool. It's quick and very effective without using RAW files.
9. Integrated WiFi
  • Hey, if a $300 iPod Touch can have it, why not my $1200 camera?
  • Direct-to-flickr shooting?
10. Oh yeah....better low light AF and more reliable AF overall.

1. higher ISO would be useful.
2. GPS would be ok. I usually just write down where I was.
3. I detest touch screens. When Sony made their camcorder menus touch screens, I told myself I wouldn't ever buy one. I never owned one, but I can't stand having to clean any screen. I don't like when people at work touch my monitor screen.
4. A thief has no idea if a camera has fingerprint technology. My car stereo was stolen even though I had the detachable face in my house!
5. This would be my most used option, but I don't know how the camera would know how to do this.
6. I don't care about video in my camera. When I take video on trips I would need probably hundreds of GB of memory and certainly don't want to buy that much.
7. please no SD! Those things are so tiny. I can hardly imagine trying to find one of those in my camera bag or worse, in my backpack when traveling. The CF cards do not seem "large" in my opinion.
8. I don't care about face detection since I don't take pictures of people.
9. don't care about wi-fi. don't use flickr.
10. better low light AF would be awesome.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

SoundsGood
Goldmember
1,968 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 08, 2009 21:41 |  #11

Dave__C wrote in post #7024713 (external link)

YES! My laptop has a slot for an SD card (as do most computers these days). It would be so much easier to just stick the card into the computer rather than having to get the card reader out of the drawer, plug in the USB, stick the Compact Card into the card reader, then put the card reader back in the drawer.

40D and a whole bunch of lenses
Canon 430EX, Kenko 1.4x, Domke F-3X, F-5XB, Zeikos grip
Zenfolio Discount Code: YGK-8U7-1GG (external link)

gjl711
56,144 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 21:55 |  #12

Dave__C wrote in post #7035866 (external link)
I wonder why they dropped it? Probably more complex and costly that it was worth.

I don't know. I've never had a chance to use it but it looks like a cool feature.

QF-347
504 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 08, 2009 22:29 |  #13

me?
i would like a 8-10mpx APS-C sensor
so pixel density is down.. cleaner
photos.. other than that.. bump the ISO
again! and ill be happy 7-8fps would be nice
toooo

Camo

5D Mark III l 50D l 30D l 24-105L l 70-200 2.8L l 17-40L l 17-85 l 50 1.8

SF ­ Lights
682 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 08, 2009 22:36 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Remember, they're going to redesign the XXD line, so I'd expect HD video with whatever I got, but I really don't want it to be honest.

I would like:

12 megapixels
7 fps (not enough to be the 1D, but above the 40D)
seperate ISO dial somewhere (think G10)
better body design (I know it's the XXD, but it's so bulky and boxy)

Basically, that's all I want.

Deck One - Star Trek

www.deck-one.org (external link)
Proud owner of an XTi, and some lenses that will never satisfy me.

Dave__C
THREAD ­ STARTER
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 09, 2009 17:41 |  #15

goldboughtrue wrote in post #7036050 (external link)
1. higher ISO would be useful.
2. GPS would be ok. I usually just write down where I was.
3. I detest touch screens. When Sony made their camcorder menus touch screens, I told myself I wouldn't ever buy one. I never owned one, but I can't stand having to clean any screen. I don't like when people at work touch my monitor screen.
4. A thief has no idea if a camera has fingerprint technology. My car stereo was stolen even though I had the detachable face in my house!
5. This would be my most used option, but I don't know how the camera would know how to do this.
6. I don't care about video in my camera. When I take video on trips I would need probably hundreds of GB of memory and certainly don't want to buy that much.
7. please no SD! Those things are so tiny. I can hardly imagine trying to find one of those in my camera bag or worse, in my backpack when traveling. The CF cards do not seem "large" in my opinion.
8. I don't care about face detection since I don't take pictures of people.
9. don't care about wi-fi. don't use flickr.
10. better low light AF would be awesome.

Do you really think a touch screen would require any more cleaning than the current one? Mine gets smudged every time I take a picture. It picks up oils from my face.

My gear:

sponsored links

318,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.