Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 01, 2010 12:27 |  #1591

CanonGarcon wrote in post #10460477 (external link)
3. Many people have more than a kit lens. To switch brands would be expensive. To switch brands because a vaporware camera whose specs (but the name was so important:rolleyes:) were never known is just plain stupid.

But no one is switching systems based on vaporware cameras. They switch systems when the press releases come out for the next generation cameras.

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

sponsored links
arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 01, 2010 12:34 |  #1592

... vaporware camera whose specs (but the name was so important:rolleyes:) ...

Why do you think canon won't release a 60D?

1.6 crop & some lenses

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 01, 2010 12:42 |  #1593

1. Are you saying the 50D was made obsolete by the 7D?

No, it was made obsolete by essentially every mid-priced DSLR body that's been marketed since its introduction.

2. The 40D and 50D were in production at the same time. Both share the same body so it's was not an expensive thing to do. Ask a retailer how the 40D and 50D sales compared when they sold side by side.

That's pretty hard to do when they are produced on the same assembly line. And no, it's not the same body. Very similar? yes. The same? nope.

Ask any retailer what the prices of the 40D and 50D were when they briefly shared shelf space. The 40D was priced to sell. It was old stock. The 50D was the new model, and carried a higher price as new models often do.

3. Many people have more than a kit lens. To switch brands would be expensive. To switch brands because a vaporware camera whose specs (but the name was so important:rolleyes:) were never known is just plain stupid.

Most people buying an entry-level DSLR have nothing but the kit lens that probably came with it. Perhaps the kit lens and a cheap telephoto. Still cheap to change systems.

WTH are talking about when you say "to switch brands because a vaporware camera..." - people switch brands because there's something better offered by the competitor at a price they can afford. What does that have to do with your delusional thoughts concerning the coming replacement for the 50D?

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

smilebug
954 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 01, 2010 12:49 |  #1594

JULY 11? Why, that's next week.

My camera ♥'s my dogs more than me...*sigh*
My Gear & Feedback ~ Flickr (external link)
{{jessica}}

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jul 01, 2010 13:07 |  #1595

Logg_1 wrote in post #10460801 (external link)

That is correct.

May I also ask what the hell is a Canon 20-35 2.8L? :lol:

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2010 14:24 |  #1596
bannedPermanent ban

Logg_1 wrote in post #10460801 (external link)

No, July 11th is not next week.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jul 01, 2010 15:17 |  #1597

"No, July 11th is not next week".

It will be the day after tomorrow.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

MrWho
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 01, 2010 15:20 as a reply to  @ CanonGarcon's post |  #1598

I wanted to post an answer to something earlier in this thread, but I won't get into a discussion of subjective vs. objective information. But! - according to a certain list, the 50D stayed in the top 100 longer than any Rebel suggesting two things :

1) People DO buy on price point. The XSi was cheaper than the T1i when it was being sold side by side so buyers went for the cheaper option and never bought above a kit lens to keep costs down. Hasn't this been mentioned before? ;)

2) People WILL pay a premium over a Rebel for build quality. With 7D + kit lens sales lower on the list than the 50D kit, the argument that people want the better build quality but are cost conscious will not shell out for the 7D because of the $400-500 price increase which means they're paying 1.5x the cost of a 50D for 3 more MP (at least that's how cameras are marketed). And going by Best Buy logic, 3 megapixels isn't worth $500.... apparently they sell by the pixel :shock: Pro sales make up very little of the money Canon gets from their cameras.

But that's according to Amazon's list.... hardly indicative of actual real world sales volume..... you need information from various sellers and markets to determine that.

Tom W wrote in post #10460757 (external link)
Most people buying an entry-level DSLR have nothing but the kit lens that probably came with it. Perhaps the kit lens and a cheap telephoto. Still cheap to change systems.

+1. Using the Rebel as an example, if I were to sell everything and switch, I'd take a $100 hit out of $1250 spent (cost of bag and memory card included). With such a light hit, the moment I can throw money at a switch, I'd be off in a heartbeat. The switch would be for better AF, better high ISO performance, less MP, better UWA and macro lenses and ergonomics.

Although I could add the switch will be because Canon didn't release a 1D7 or 5D4 in November. Vaporware vaporware where art thou?

[I know I keep getting sucked into something I said I wouldn't get pulled back into, but it's fun watching the haters hate :)]

Gear

Poe
Goldmember
1,956 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 01, 2010 15:27 |  #1599

MrWho wrote in post #10461836 (external link)
Pro sales make up very little of the money Canon gets from their cameras.

Are you limiting this point to Canon dSLRs only or are you refering to all digital cameras made by Canon?

Nikon D750, D7200 | Nikon-Nikkor 14-24G, 60G Micro, 70-300E | SIGMA 35A, 105 OS, 24-105 OS | ZEISS Distagon 2.0/25 Classic, Apo-Distagon 1.4/55 Otus, Apo-Planar 1.4/85 Otus, Makro-Planar 2/100 Classic, Apo-Sonnar 2/135 Classic

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 01, 2010 16:32 |  #1600

Lowner wrote in post #10461821 (external link)

Going by CG's logic there will never be a July 11th or a week 27, simply because week 27 doesnt exixst yet and of course also because there will never be any replacements to anything, so the current week 26 wil never be replaced by the rumored week 27 with the rumored spec list;
Monday, July 5th
Tuesday, July 6th
Wednesday, July 7th
Thursday, July 8th
Friday, July 9th
Saturday, July 10th
Sunday, July 11th

anyway, I would of course be surprised to see an announcement on a sunday;)

aaso-photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

MrWho
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 01, 2010 16:40 |  #1601

Poe wrote in post #10461875 (external link)
Are you limiting this point to Canon dSLRs only or are you refering to all digital cameras made by Canon?

DSLRs

Canon gets a lot more soccer moms buying Rebels than they do pros looking to buy a 7D or 1D4 to shoot motorsports or professional sports.

If I had to make a blanket statement with 0 concrete numbers and no objective data, I'd guess that P&S sales are greater than DSLR sales for Canon more as an effect of the marketing dept trying to have a model for everyone capable of pressing a button (at least I view Canon as more of a marketing driven company anyway).

Gear

Roger ­ Caris
35 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 01, 2010 17:40 |  #1602

It is a tragedy that Canon’s marketing department became the dominant force in the recent development of its prosumer cameras, namely the 5D2 and 50D. File sizes and video facilities were developed when the pressing need was to upstage Nikon’s D700. I fully expect this trend to continue if ever this 60D comes out. The same thing will happen with the 5D3.

The marketing department is appealing to people who are obsessed with numbers and facilities. In a similar way the development of mobile phones has travelled along this route. Another example is how Adobe’s Lightroom started off very well but as it evolved it attempted to become all things to all men.

Roger

www.centuryphotographi​c.co.uk (external link)
www.dvdweddingphotogra​phy.co.uk (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 01, 2010 18:30 |  #1603

Tom W wrote in post #10459415 (external link)
Yes, the peripheral AF sensors on the 40D were an improvement over the non-cross type sensors on the 5-series. But - the 5D/5D2's center AF sensor is second to none, and in extensive testing between my 40D, 5D, and 1D3 a couple of years ago, the 5D consistently tracked moving vehicles better than the 40D and the (admittedly defective) 1D3. I got more keepers from the 5D, regardless of whether I used 3 fps on the 40D or full-speed rock-and-roll.

Absolutely agree. Although I would even add the caveat that the 40D's outer sensors, while more sensitive being cross-type are also more prone to focusing on the wrong thing since the actual sensors are much bigger than indicated in the viewfinder markings, whereas the 5D would just flat out not focus. Either way the result is a missed shot. I'm very happy with the 5D's center point, and also prefer it over the 40D's.

So the 7D's AF is awesome, eh? Well that's encouraging. So 1 out of Canon's last 3 AF designs is working well :)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 01, 2010 18:46 |  #1604

Roger Caris wrote in post #10462528 (external link)
It is a tragedy that Canon’s marketing department became the dominant force in the recent development of its prosumer cameras, namely the 5D2 and 50D. File sizes and video facilities were developed when the pressing need was to upstage Nikon’s D700. I fully expect this trend to continue if ever this 60D comes out. The same thing will happen with the 5D3.

Like you said, the 5DII wasn't so much trying to upstage the D700 as it was just not competing with it in any way, shape, or form. In terms of AF spec, frame rate, weather sealing, etc. it's not even close, while in megapixels it's way ahead. They're basically 2 completely different designs for different target audiences, with the only major commonality being the FF sensor. I'd rather have Canon make their own D700-like body, but Canon have other plans. A Canon equivalent of the D700 (EF mount, FF sensor, medium res, pro-level AF, weather sealing) would be a camera that would satisfy me and a lot of other shooters for a very, very long time, which is probably why they won't put one out.

The marketing department is appealing to people who are obsessed with numbers and facilities. In a similar way the development of mobile phones has travelled along this route. Another example is how Adobe’s Lightroom started off very well but as it evolved it attempted to become all things to all men.

Eh? I think Lightroom v2 is much better than v1, and LR3 looks to improve on that further still. There's nothing about Lightroom to me that smacks of playing the numbers/specs game, rather I consider the progression to be that of genuine improvement and refinement.

On mobile phones to a certain extent there's an obsession with bigger numbers just like with most tech gadgets, but there's a lot of room to grow and the latest releases (iPhone 4, HTC Evo 4G, Droid X) would have caused an absolute nerd-gasm if launched just a year ago but somehow already seem almost commonplace with how much potential there seems to be for further advancement (Motorola are already talking up a 2GHz CPU by year end). To me there's still plenty of headroom for mobile phones to improve, even with the rapid pace of development and the heights already reached, and it's not just numbers but real improvements in performance.

CanonGarcon
419 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2010 18:58 |  #1605
bannedPermanent ban

Lowner wrote in post #10461821 (external link)

Let's see today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday. No, July 11th still isn't next week.

sponsored links

305,105 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.