Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 27, 2010 12:35 |  #2401

griptape wrote in post #10285522 (external link)
Very true. Is the 60D ever going to happen? I say NO. I'm probably wrong, because eventually it will be profitable to release an in-between camera that sits between the 50D and the 7D, but until Canon thinks they can make more money selling a 50D with video for a few hundred less than a 7D (otherwise they would be cannibalizing 7D sales) then the 50D is here to stay. I don't know why it's so hard for people to accept that the update for the 50D is the 7D. You want more FPS, more megapixels, better ISO performance, video? Yeah, Canon sells that camera, and it's called the 7D.

While I may not have been entirely correct, the fact remains that an UPGRADE to the 50D is the 7D, and not the 60D, unless the only upgrade criteria to you is movie mode and an articulating screen, while downgrading the still camera functions.

sponsored links
arkphotos
455 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 27, 2010 12:35 |  #2402

tkbslc wrote in post #10800456 (external link)
They read your survey and said "hello, have you heard of the SEVEN D?"

Ha - yes you are correct . I may have to save up for the 7D (but dont really want to pay for the AF system or weather sealing).

In my defense, the survey was shortly before the 7D was released - when this thread was a bit smaller.

1.6 crop & some lenses

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 27, 2010 13:35 |  #2403

arkphotos wrote in post #10800588 (external link)
Ha - yes you are correct . I may have to save up for the 7D (but dont really want to pay for the AF system or weather sealing).

In my defense, the survey was shortly before the 7D was released - when this thread was a bit smaller.

haha, yea i was also going to comment about the humor in how you perfectly described the 7D. :p

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2010 13:58 |  #2404

griptape wrote in post #10800587 (external link)
While I may not have been entirely correct, the fact remains that an UPGRADE to the 50D is the 7D, and not the 60D, unless the only upgrade criteria to you is movie mode and an articulating screen, while downgrading the still camera functions.

Wow, you hit that nail on the head!

Been waiting for over a year to make a decision, going from a Rebel XTi to 7D now instead.

Ordered the 7D yesterday, loyalty program. Yee, ha!:D

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

dontcallmeash
480 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 27, 2010 15:56 as a reply to  @ post 10800456 |  #2405

all i really wanted was microadjustment and AF that was at least on par with what nikon will likely offer in the d95.

at least it has an articulating screen, so i can be distracted by shiny things. buuut, i keep wondering if they had killed the damn articulating screen, the cost savings could have paid for another DIGIC 4 processor to get fps above that of my ancient d200 with its CCD sensor... and maybe also throw in MA.

fawkers.

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2010 16:50 |  #2406

tkbslc wrote in post #10800456 (external link)
They read your survey and said "hello, have you heard of the SEVEN D?"

well, what I wanted was also pretty much what arkphotos described (expect I'd gladly see the sensor reduced to 15MP) but the "hello, have you heard of 7D"-answer is just not a good enough answer -its a stupid answer really cause 7D has alot more features than those -and they cost money, and I'm not paying extra for 8fps 2xdigic4, 1D-type AF etc when I have absolutely no need for it..! 7D is quite clearly spec'ed towards action/sport, but there are other types of photographhy than that, and I just dont see why they couldnt have spec'ed the 60D more towards those in order to differentiate it from the 7D, instead of just dumbing it down massively..

Before 60D I had to choose between overkill (7D) or underkill (550D). Now its overkill (7D), underkill (550D) or slightly less underkill (60D).. Doesnt help me one bit..

aaso-photography (external link) | Flickr (external link)
5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

PixelPusher
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2010 16:58 |  #2407

Joaaso wrote in post #10802053 (external link)
well, what I wanted was also pretty much what arkphotos described (expect I'd gladly see the sensor reduced to 15MP) but the "hello, have you heard of 7D"-answer is just not a good enough answer -its a stupid answer really cause 7D has alot more features than those -and they cost money, and I'm not paying extra for 8fps 2xdigic4, 1D-type AF etc when I have absolutely no need for it..! 7D is quite clearly spec'ed towards action/sport, but there are other types of photographhy than that, and I just dont see why they couldnt have spec'ed the 60D more towards those in order to differentiate it from the 7D, instead of just dumbing it down massively..

Before 60D I had to choose between overkill (7D) or underkill (550D). Now its overkill (7D), underkill (550D) or slightly less underkill (60D).. Doesnt help me one bit..

Maybe the 50D is a good fit for you. Have seen some pretty good prices on those.

Robert

SmugMug (external link)

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2010 17:29 |  #2408

Joaaso wrote in post #10802053 (external link)

7D users wish the AF system was on-par with the 1-series. The 7D is great crop camera, but I think people toot it's horn in excess.

As far as your qualms with the 60D, I'm sorry you have them but that isn't gonna change the legacy of the xxD series back to the pre-7D generations; not one bit.

I'm not a 60D fan by any stretch. I saw all of this coming; the only thing that surprised me is that Canon actually went "out there" to give the xxD body legacy a present place in their current marketing strategy for the 1.6x crop cameras.

Aesthetically speaking, the 60D has to be one of ugliest dSLRs I have ever seen.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 27, 2010 17:31 |  #2409

Allscape wrote in post #10802106 (external link)
Maybe the 50D is a good fit for you. Have seen some pretty good prices on those.

one word; video.. (plus ISO-performance wasnt to much of a step up from 450D for me)

Luminodio wrote in post #10802298 (external link)
I saw all of this coming; the only thing that surprised me is that Canon actually went "out there" to give the xxD body legacy a present place in their current marketing strategy for the 1.6x crop cameras.

me too.. some down-spec'ing compared to 50D on certain areas, wouldnt have surprised me, but not this... and even then; its ok that they lower its threshold, but not when they lower the roof as well..

5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II
EF 24-70/4L | EF 24-105/4L | Samyang 14/2.8 | TS-E 24/3.5L II | EF 35/1.4L II | EF 85/1.8 | EF 135/2L | EF 200/2.8L II | 1,4x TC

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2010 17:52 |  #2410

Joaaso wrote in post #10802308 (external link)
one word; video.. (plus ISO-performance wasnt to much of a step up from 450D for me)

me too.. some down-spec'ing compared to 50D on certain areas, wouldnt have surprised me, but not this... and even then; its ok that they lower its threshold, but not when they lower the roof as well..

The ergonomic change was probably the biggest priority for Canon. Aesthetics and ergonomics are the biggest thing the consumer market notices as far as differentiating one camera option from another. So you can obviously tell demographic Canon was basing their modifications on.

It's too bad really. The Sony SLT A55 punishes the Canon 60D on paper and despite some small qualms with the A55, it is a dangerously competitive option when you take into consideration the scope of options that Sony offers (AF CZ glass anyone?).

Canon flopped on a camera body that I honestly didn't think would come to fruition so it honestly doesn't effect my outlook on Canon in a negative way. The fact that they went "out there" to keep the xxD legacy alive means that they may go "out there" with their flagship full-frame body release -- the 1Ds IV.

This would be the first official response that Canon makes to all the FF competition it has acquired (the 5D II was in production long before the D700 and D3 hit the market some years back). While Canon may reserve any "revolutionary" changes for a camera body legacy for the prosumer market rather the professional, that doesn't phase me. Just so long as Canon legimately responds within the next 14 months with one body or another.

The way I see it, the Canon 5D III will have the following:
- 100% VF coverage (5D had 96%, 5D II had 98%; 2% increase is inevitable)
- 9 Point Cross-type AF (The same amount of cross-types as the 60D, but potentially using the 7D AF system)
- 4.5fps

I can only hope that the 5D III can perform across the entire dynamic range -- not banding in the shadows at low ISO settings. That would be umm, fantastic.

The rest doesn't matter to me, but I would like to see a dedicated MLU button on the 5D III for the sake of sanity. Continuous AF in movie mode would be nice, but is far from a necessity to me. I'm more for improvements in still-shot performance even it means putting advancements in movie mode at a stand-still. I don't like the idea of Canon prioritizing the whole motion capture aspect of their newly established bodies over advancements in what a dSLR is traditionally used for: to take pictures.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

MrWho
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 27, 2010 22:14 as a reply to  @ Illumined's post |  #2411

I don't like the videocentrism either. Canon seemed to prioritize move mode on the 60D and it seems like they went out of their way to find ways to dumb down the camera from the 50D. I saw many posts in other sections about how people expected a $1100 7D when in reality the early posts about 60D rumors were about leaving the 50D the same, just adding video. Canon COULD have done that but instead decided to turn the XXD series into a testbed for future Rebel models.

I had mentioned earlier that the 60D might be outclassed the day it was released and so far that seems likely with the A55 and coming D7000. Nikon offered innovation for the lower end bodies with the D3100 and took a serious effort to improve the still aspect. Sony put some nice specs into their A55 (and I would LOVE me some AF CZ glass!) and it looks like a serious change in direction compared to what Sony was previously doing. It just seems odd that when other companies are moving forward, Canon decides to downgrade it's newest release. It's either going to be bought because it's a Canon product, or someone is going to be captivated by the swivel screen and buy it as an $1100 P&S.

After all the discussion trying to convince naysayers that there would be a 60D, it's kind of painful to see what it has become. So many hard buttons removed, I might actually have the same amount of hard buttons and filters available on a $450 superzoom.

Gear

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 28, 2010 04:08 |  #2412

Interestingly, the Nikon D3100 and the Sony A55 are far more "video-optimized" than the 60D. ;)

I think people wouldn't complain about the repositioning of the 60D if Canon kept the metal body and the seperate joystick. Everything else is still well within the spec-range of previous X0D cameras.

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

Joaaso
555 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 28, 2010 05:26 |  #2413

MrWho wrote in post #10803635 (external link)
Canon seemed to prioritize move mode on the 60D

umm..apart from the swivel-lcd, what new did they bring to the movie mode..?

5D Mk IV | 5D Mk II

reng2009
218 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2010 07:08 |  #2414

sth_ wrote in post #10804867 (external link)
Interestingly, the Nikon D3100 and the Sony A55 are far more "video-optimized" than the 60D. ;)

I think people wouldn't complain about the repositioning of the 60D if Canon kept the metal body and the seperate joystick. Everything else is still well within the spec-range of previous X0D cameras.

If Canon kept the metal shell, it wouldn't be a consumer camera. It would be heavier and more expensive. The street price for the 60D should be under $1,000 and that's important.

blackshadow
Mr T. from the A team
5,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 28, 2010 16:24 |  #2415

Why is this still in the rumours section? The camera has been announced.

Black Shadow Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link) Twitter (external link)
Gear List Myspace (external link)

sponsored links

306,483 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 60D Rumors Rumors Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.