Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

point n shoot vs DSLR

asty80
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2009 16:10 |  #1

I have a Sony point n shoot and a Canon rebel XTi.
I have observed that in most cases. the pics taken by my Sony are better than the one taken by the XTi.

Now , I mostly do landscape photos and that is where the difference lies.
In indoor photos/dim light, the manual mode of XTi wins hands and legs down.

I'm just curious how the point n shoot models seem to give greater brightness to a scene and also seem to have better saturation as compared to the slr.

Has anyone else observed it? or am I missing something?

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

sponsored links
jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 07, 2009 16:14 |  #2

asty80 wrote in post #7026270 (external link)
I'm just curious how the point n shoot models seem to give greater brightness to a scene and also seem to have better saturation as compared to the slr. ... am I missing something?

Yep, you're missing something, which is that digital images need processing. Now you can let the camera do it (the way your Sony P&S does) or you can do it yourself (by changing the settings in your dSLR or doing all of the post-processing yourself in a program like Photoshop), but all digital images need to be processed. Roughly translated, what you're really saying is: "I like the processing settings chosen for me by Sony better than I like the processing settings I've chosen for my dSLR" -- and you can change that!

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 16:14 |  #3

I'm just curious how the point n shoot models seem to give greater brightness to a scene and also seem to have better saturation as compared to the slr.

Because you're probably not setting up & using your DSLR properly.

P&S are all full auto everything (ISO, SS, fstop) and some have IS (which is helpful in some situations).

I have honestly never used anything but Av, Tv, or M (or B, or C1, C2, C3) on any of my DSLRs, so I don't know how good the auto modes are versus a P&S.

In camera processing is hit or miss, I've made better RAWs w/o processing on my XTi/30D/5D2 than a P&S (Fuji F50d) jpg w/ in camera processing.

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 07, 2009 16:27 as a reply to  @ MattMoore's post |  #4

Print a couple of 11X14's and let us know which is better.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 16:29 |  #5

I have a Sony point n shoot and a Canon rebel XTi.
I have observed that in most cases. the pics taken by my Sony are better than the one taken by the XTi.

Now , I mostly do landscape photos and that is where the difference lies.
In indoor photos/dim light, the manual mode of XTi wins hands and legs down.

Has anyone else observed it? or am I missing something?

The P&S probably applies a lot of sharpening and saturation to the file when creating a jpeg. The dSLR default will generally be a lot less. This will make the P&S look better, especially when viewed on a monitor or medium print (or smaller).

If you want us to really help compare, post up some examples and we can tell you what we think is driving the difference.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 07, 2009 16:47 |  #6

Dennis_Hammer wrote in post #7026400 (external link)

:lol:

Tim
Equipment

bishop13
559 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2009 17:26 |  #7

Dennis_Hammer wrote in post #7026400 (external link)

:lol: x2

Gear List

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 07, 2009 17:43 |  #8

DSLR's operate more quickly and decisively. Point and shoot cameras that depend on electronic viewfinders have shutter and framing lag that DSLR's don't. Otherwise, it's been demonstrated that there's no significant difference in real-world image quality (external link)between the best of the two kinds of digital cameras.

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2009 17:55 |  #9

Have you played around with the picture styles on your XTi? This here was done with the "landscape" picture style. I find it gives very vibrant colors- similar to that a Point and shoot might give.

(taken with 10-20mm lens)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

asty80
THREAD ­ STARTER
585 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2009 19:22 |  #10

JeffreyG wrote in post #7026410 (external link)
The P&S probably applies a lot of sharpening and saturation to the file when creating a jpeg. The dSLR default will generally be a lot less. This will make the P&S look better, especially when viewed on a monitor or medium print (or smaller).

I agree..Interesting, aint it!

DStanic wrote in post #7027098 (external link)
Have you played around with the picture styles on your XTi? This here was done with the "landscape" picture style. I find it gives very vibrant colors- similar to that a Point and shoot might give.

Yes..the landscape mode on the xti though is not as good as the landscape on a sony p&s.
Though I wouldnt expect it to be..since slr is primarily for manual modes

Thanks for the comments, folks :)

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 07, 2009 19:53 |  #11

since slr is primarily for manual modes

Well, that's not true & a lot of people get by just fine on auto. But if you want to take control of what the cam is doing to get better results in borderline situations, manual modes are there to let you squeeze out everything that the cam is capable of. ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

FOX2PRO
279 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 07, 2009 20:04 |  #12

Try ISO1600 on that PS, and then on the XTi.
Then get back to us.

Gear: |Rebel XT| 18-55 Kit | 70-200f4 | 50 1.8 |

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 07, 2009 20:07 |  #13

You will get better pictures with your DSLR when you begin to understand all the things the P&S camera is doing to your image.
Processing your image is done well 'in-camera', it should be, the manufacture has spent loads of time and money to get pictures that average people find satisfactory.
As you use your DSLR, you'll find that You are more able to determine how the image should be processed to make it your photo.
Remember, the sensor is much smaller on a P&S, the processors are more focused on in-camera processing instead of recording the best image, the lenses are not the quality of good SLR lenses(let alone interchangeable).
Take time to learn your DSLR and you'll find that they indeed take better pictures.
Good Luck.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

J'net
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 07, 2009 20:17 |  #14

I just purchased my Canon 50D and I am having issues also. My old point and shoot took really good care of me, hopefully I will learn how to use this dSLR soon.

timbop
Goldmember
2,980 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2009 22:04 |  #15

A P&S is designed for slow subjects in really good light and medium wide to medium telephoto lens, and the processing in-camera actually oversaturates the colors and oversharpens the images - but that's what people have come to expect. Where a P&S falls down is beyond that sweet spot; indoor light, wider angle, medium to long telephoto, and medium to fast moving subjects are all areas where P&S's fail miserably.

Current: 5DM3, 6D, 8mm fish, 24-105/4IS, 35/2IS, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.8, 100-400/IS v1, lensbaby composer with edge 80, 580's and AB800's
Formerly: 80D, 7D, 300D, 5D, 5DM2, 20D, 50D, 1DM2, 17-55IS, 24-70/2.8, 28-135IS, 40/2.8, 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 70-200/4IS, 70-300IS, 70-200/2.8, 100 macro, 400/5.6, tammy 17-50 and 28-75, sigma 50 macro & 100-300

sponsored links

1,678 views & 0 likes for this thread
point n shoot vs DSLR
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.