Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 17:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help converting PSD to JPG

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2009 17:22 |  #1

I have a 31MB PSD that I can't get PS CS2 to save as JPG. I get a message that reads

"Could not complete your request because of a program error."

Does anyone have any ideas or would someone be willing to save as JPG for me?

Brice

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

sponsored links
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,198 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2009 17:25 |  #2

Under Image > Mode make sure it's set at 8 bit. Photoshop will not save a jpg above 8bit.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Glliw
124 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 07, 2009 17:25 |  #3

Maybe try saving it as a different file type like .tiff and then saving it as jpeg with irfvanview (which is free for download).

Canon XTi - 50mm f/1.8 - 18-55mm "kit lens" - 55-250 IS - ND/CP filters
Flickr (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2009 17:25 |  #4

Hmmm ... that's not very big, I can't think why it wouldn't work. Have you had this problem before?

Are you doing all the "safe" things? ie flatten, remove alpha channels, reduce to 8-bit, ensure it's in RGB ...

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 07, 2009 17:30 |  #5

You've flattened the image? I can't imagine what the problem is but I can save the psd for you if you like.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Jan 07, 2009 20:00 |  #6

if you have the PSD saved, when opening Photoshop, hold down the CTRL(Cmd), Alt(Option)+Shift keys to reset your prefs and then try again..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 08:06 |  #7

FuryMe wrote in post #7026839 (external link)
Under Image > Mode make sure it's set at 8 bit. Photoshop will not save a jpg above 8bit.

RGB, 8-bit. First thing I checked.

Glliw wrote in post #7026844 (external link)
Maybe try saving it as a different file type like .tiff and then saving it as jpeg with irfvanview (which is free for download).

Saved to Tif and identical results...

Damo77 wrote in post #7026846 (external link)
Hmmm ... that's not very big, I can't think why it wouldn't work. Have you had this problem before?

Are you doing all the "safe" things? ie flatten, remove alpha channels, reduce to 8-bit, ensure it's in RGB ...

Flatter than a pancake. Hadn't thought of removing the Alpha Channels. Will try that this morning.

Titus213 wrote in post #7026877 (external link)
You've flattened the image? I can't imagine what the problem is but I can save the psd for you if you like.

If the Alpha Channel and reseting preferences doesn't work, I'll PM you. thanks for the offer!

Bobster wrote in post #7027895 (external link)
if you have the PSD saved, when opening Photoshop, hold down the CTRL(Cmd), Alt(Option)+Shift keys to reset your prefs and then try again..

I renamed my .psp file and opened the file in PS (which should have the same effect) and no luck. I'll try the alpha channel trick and then PM Titus if no luck.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 08:17 |  #8

Titus213 wrote in post #7026877 (external link)

Dave, I sent you a PM with a link to the file. I appreciate anything you can do.

Brice

Brice
Gear List

bwolford
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 08, 2009 17:23 |  #9

Dave (Titus) has taken care of me. Thanks for all of your help. As some background, this image was created using Adober InDesign. InDesign won't save in JPG format so I had to export as a PDF and then open the PDF in Photoshop. I saved it as PSD, TIF, and none of them would allow me to save as JPG. I also tried placing the image in a new document rather than opening the PDF in PS.

Regardless, I have what I need now.

Thanks to everyone and especially Dave!

Brice
Gear List

Damo77
Goldmember
4,633 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 08, 2009 17:27 |  #10

Dave, any further info from your end? Do you know exactly why it wasn't working for Brice?

Brice, Acrobat itself can save PDFs as jpegs, for future reference.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2009 18:00 |  #11

It was a really good looking poster, well put together.

The only thing I noticed was that it saved the jpg as a 'copy'. When I brought the original back up I tried flattening the one layer visible, which it did. I was then able to save as a regular jpg, not as a copy.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 08, 2009 18:23 |  #12

I know this issue from some images exported out of LR.
Seems (seemed) to be a bug in LR2 as well. Google or search POTN for that....

I've had a few files out of LR (1.4 and 2) that wouldn't be saved as jpg on my Mac. Another photographers Mac (using CS) saved the same files (saved as a tif for transportation there) as a jpg just fine... Very weird, very repeatable with those specific images.

No idea what caused it, but I did find that "save for web" did work in those cases.

Edit: Now I see Titus213's response, it might be a different issue... Not sure.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help converting PSD to JPG
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.