Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 12 Feb 2005 (Saturday) 10:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Talk about what to shoot in Michigan

claybuster
723 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 07, 2009 05:34 |  #166

Anyone going to the Autorama this weekend?
Mike

MY GEAR
Whatever you are, be a good one- Abraham Lincoln

sponsored links
izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 07, 2009 06:15 |  #167

I wish. I'm stuck at work. :( Check out the Cobra Jet, Hugger orange SS, Dodge A100, and Chevy II. They are all part of the car club I'm in. Motown Muscle. All very nice cars, in the same 'block'.

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

BobbyM
280 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2009 17:00 as a reply to  @ izthistaken's post |  #168

Did anyone make it out to any of the St. Patrick's parade today? I wanted to head down to Detroit but wasn't able to make it there before the 2pm start..

Oh well; there's always next year.

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 15, 2009 17:08 |  #169
bannedPermanent ban

Hahaha, i'm just excited for the red bull races this year, already eyeballing lensrental ;)

I suck at Photoshop.

claybuster
723 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 15, 2009 18:37 |  #170

Lazuka wrote in post #7528962 (external link)
Hahaha, i'm just excited for the red bull races this year, already eyeballing lensrental ;)

I'm checking my e-mail everyday waiting for tickets to go on sale.

MY GEAR
Whatever you are, be a good one- Abraham Lincoln

BobbyM
280 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 15, 2009 20:19 as a reply to  @ claybuster's post |  #171

Can you watch the show from belle isle? is their course the same spot where the hydroplanes race?

I'm guessing not, because Windsor seems to be the host of the event.

The ­ Stig
213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 15, 2009 22:27 |  #172

Last year the course was between the Ren Cen and Cobo with viewing spots along both sides of the river.

www.LensArtwork.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​lensartwork (external link)
www.MeltedRubber.com (external link)

My website, Flickr, and blogs

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2009 10:55 |  #173

What to shoot in MI

tekkie wrote in post #6922183 (external link)
sort of off topic here sorry

anyone know of a good place where eagles, hawks, owls etc hang out? other than the zoo ;) lol

I can find small birds like herons, ducks, cardinals, blue jays etc... pretty easy in my yard :)

Looks like I'm late coming into this topic.

We have a couple huge bald eagles that frequent the local mill pond a block down my street. You just have to be lucky enough to catch them there. I believe they live out on the deer ranch property. Marion, MI (up by Cadillac). No photos of them yet, my first L glass is on the way.

EDIT:
A LOT of old barns and windmills in this area too.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Troy

izthistaken
Cream of the Crop
6,857 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2009 15:05 |  #174

That is sweet! Where were you to get that pic? Inside a barn?

Matt
flickr  (external link)
5DMKII | 16-35L |24-70L| 70-200L 2.8 II | Canon 50mm 1.8|35mm F2|580ex x2|Lumopro LP160|Nikon SB24|Cybersyncs x3

Alex.K
Goldmember
1,570 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 17:32 as a reply to  @ izthistaken's post |  #175

alright, i'm in west Michigan, and thought it'd be cool to have a series of photos that are of what "[west] michigan is known for". that would be lighthouses as someone said. You know how many people have taken pics of loghthouses in michigan?!?! its crazy, and honestly, i don't wanna be the one to take "yet another lighthouse pic"(i prolly will...lol) i wanna be the "odd one out". Something different.(or not as popular...)
Where i live we're /known/ for tulips and windmills. ya know how many pics there are of the windmill "island" and the tulips?! its crazy.
SO.
I was talking to mom about other things that "mi is known for" and in west michgan we have our fair share of fruit "farms" - not to many "popular" photos of them. an idea.
But other then that....what is there else in michigan?! corn fields?...Older farms i suppose. Waterfalls i know are up north, but i don't(or can't yet. lol) drive 5hrs to get a waterfalls photo. lol. And well, lake michigan gets a tad borring. its always blue(though the sunsets never do get too old...they were more cool when the lake was frozen)
So I'm asking y'all(you'd think i'm from the south or somethin...), fellow michiganders, what do you think might be a good "michigan series"?
-a.k

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
facebook (external link)
365/The Last Year project (external link)

Sickness
333 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 16, 2009 19:19 |  #176

You could take pictures of the abandoned paper mills and where the old GM plant here.

It was what West Michigan was once known for...

Canon 20D
Canon 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 MK1 /
Zeiss 50mm f/1.7
Sigma 20mm f/1.8 / Canon 28-135 IS

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2009 20:45 |  #177

Are you by any of the wineries? We make it a point to visit them any time we are on the west side of the state. Michigan doesn't have very many photogenic waterfalls either. Maybe if you know of a moving stream that cascades down a hill over some rocks you could set your camera up for a long exposure getting the motion blur of the running water etc...

Lightning storms are fun as heck to shoot and you can get some fantastic keepers from time to time. I'd imagine you can see them coming in over the lake. At least enough to get setup in case a good storm comes along. And we are moving into the storm season.

There's a wolf park/reserve not too far from you in Illinois or Indiana if I remember correctly. We are planning on camping near the park and going there for some shooting this year if funds permit.

How about your friends? Anyone interesting enough to shoot?

Oh, there's a renaissance festival on the west side of the state too. And a good one from what I'm told. That is the place for some of the best pictures you will ever get!

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

Alex.K
Goldmember
1,570 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 12:23 |  #178

Sickness wrote in post #7537327 (external link)
You could take pictures of the abandoned paper mills and where the old GM plant here.

It was what West Michigan was once known for...

oh, i'll have to look around for old paper mills...we just moved here(to west Mi, we were in howell for 12yrs.) so not 100% sure what's all over here...sides a lot of fruit.

Jon Foster wrote in post #7537906 (external link)
Are you by any of the wineries? We make it a point to visit them any time we are on the west side of the state. Michigan doesn't have very many photogenic waterfalls either. Maybe if you know of a moving stream that cascades down a hill over some rocks you could set your camera up for a long exposure getting the motion blur of the running water etc...

Lightning storms are fun as heck to shoot and you can get some fantastic keepers from time to time. I'd imagine you can see them coming in over the lake. At least enough to get setup in case a good storm comes along. And we are moving into the storm season.

There's a wolf park/reserve not too far from you in Illinois or Indiana if I remember correctly. We are planning on camping near the park and going there for some shooting this year if funds permit.

How about your friends? Anyone interesting enough to shoot?

Oh, there's a renaissance festival on the west side of the state too. And a good one from what I'm told. That is the place for some of the best pictures you will ever get!

Jon.

there are wineries in michigan? i had no idea...obviously. hahaha.
moving water i deff want to do, now finding it is another story. I always see something good driving down the road at 50mph. lol.
I um....don't have like..any friends. *cough* "just" moved, being homeschooled and not going to a church building, its hard to make friends. and my best friend lives in Tn. I do have two younger sibs(7&8), but well, sometimes its hard to take pics of little kids acting natural. lol.

thanx for the ideas guys!

flickr (external link)
website (external link)
facebook (external link)
365/The Last Year project (external link)

ZSutton
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 18, 2009 10:06 |  #179

Photography~girl~ wrote in post #7541921 (external link)
oh, i'll have to look around for old paper mills...we just moved here(to west Mi, we were in howell for 12yrs.) so not 100% sure what's all over here...sides a lot of fruit.

moving water i deff want to do, now finding it is another story. I always see something good driving down the road at 50mph. lol.
I um....don't have like..any friends. *cough* "just" moved, being homeschooled and not going to a church building, its hard to make friends. and my best friend lives in Tn. I do have two younger sibs(7&8), but well, sometimes its hard to take pics of little kids acting natural. lol.

I'd be happy to shoot with you. I live in Kalamazoo, but go all around West Michigan to shoot

-Sutton
Gear List | Website (external link) | Instagram (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 18, 2009 10:18 |  #180

Photography~girl~ wrote in post #7541921 (external link)

There are actually a lot of wineries (I am not a wine drinker myself) even Madonna has one that her father runs in the Traverse City area. http://www.cicconevine​yards.com/ (external link)

I love the beaches and lighthouses in West Michigan. Awesome!

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

sponsored links

88,358 views & 0 likes for this thread
Talk about what to shoot in Michigan
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.