Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alternative to backpack

ThisOldHag
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 07, 2009 22:15 |  #1

I travel regularly visiting mostly foreign locations and need to take all my gear along as I never know which lens I'll be needing. I already have back problems and since a few new addiions find my backpack is just to heavy. Is there an alternative out there?

www.CindyLouDale.com (external link)
Read my Blog (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 07, 2009 22:43 |  #2

What about some sort of wheeled bag or case?

http://www.tamrac.com/​welcome.htm (external link)
http://products.lowepr​o.com/catalog/Rolling-Cases,6.htm (external link)
http://www.tenba.com …ium-Rolling-Backpack.aspx (external link)
http://www.tenba.com/C​ategories/Air-Cases.aspx (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 07, 2009 22:47 as a reply to  @ Samgoit's post |  #3

I've found a spouse works very well... :rolleyes: ;)

John

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2009 13:49 |  #4

I'd love a wheeled camera bag but many of the places I travel to require that the terrain be covered on foot travel, and sometimes its very rural.

Gear List

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2009 13:52 |  #5

JWright wrote in post #7028995 (external link)
I've found a spouse works very well... :rolleyes: ;)

True, but mine is usually doing his day job whilst I'm lugging a camera bag around.

Gear List

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 09, 2009 14:03 |  #6

ThisOldHag wrote in post #7040332 (external link)
I'd love a wheeled camera bag but many of the places I travel to require that the terrain be covered on foot travel, and sometimes its very rural.

For the life of me I can't think of anything better than a backpack. The ideal solution would be a large, neutrally buoyant helium balloon you could tie off to a pelican case, then leash the case to a belt loop. You could tow your gear through the atmosphere with no effort. That may require some logistical hoop jumping and get you some odd looks, though.

Another alternative is to purchase a REAL hiking backpack, maybe something with a full body harness, one that puts some of the weight on your hips. Find an outfitter in your area, bring all your gear, and try a few out. Try a pack with an internal frame. Just put your camera bag inside and off you go.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2009 14:11 |  #7

Samgoit wrote in post #7040433 (external link)
For the life of me I can't think of anything better than a backpack. The ideal solution would be a large, neutrally buoyant helium balloon you could tie off to a pelican case, then leash the case to a belt loop. You could tow your gear through the atmosphere with no effort. That may require some logistical hoop jumping and get you some odd looks, though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!! :lol:

Oh man, that is such a good idea - we have easily folding travel softboxes... why not a little miniature Zeppelin to slide into your bag that you can whip out and inflate at a moments notice with a little mini helium can?? Sounds perfect for a lot of chores actually!

How big would a blimp/balloon have to be to lift 20lbs??

Oh yeah to the OP: I can't think of anyway besides blimp or pack mule that ALL your gear is NOT going to be heavy... and if its not a backpack, then its a shoulder or sling bag, and the heavier those are the worse off you are, so yeah the above idea of loading up in a backpacking pack seems the most solid - or hire a sherpa...

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

tkoutdoor
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2009 14:34 as a reply to  @ Andrushka's post |  #8

Solar power solves everything! Go green! Erm... oh yeah, this is the real world. ;)

A wheeled bag that's backpackable is the closest you'd get to some kind of ideal standard that you are hoping for. It has a downside though. The wheels add weight and since Photog gear in any quantity is relatively heavy this could make an airline carry-on (if you need it for that) tend to be on the overweight side. For anything that requires foot travel over semi-rugged terrain I don't know of a reasonable answer outside of a backpack. Hmm, I say that and then I think about this and wonder how this looks to you...

Click the "Products" tab, then click on the photocart picture.
http://www.feisol.com/​english/feisolen.htm (external link)

You could get that backpack in question for the foot traffic only areas and for the other situations that aren't you could strap the backpack on this device. The wheels might be big enough to negotiate some types of terrain that aren't perfectly smooth. Outside of that I guess there's just hitting the gym that's left... to make carrying the weight less of an effort. :-)

Canon ~ 7D, 1D MkIIn, 5D, 20D, 10D, 100-400L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS, 24-105 f4L IS, 17-40 f4L, 135mm f2L, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 50mm 2.5 macro, Ext. tubes, TC's 1.4 & 2.0, Feisol 3441-S CF Tpod, Gitzo Traveler Mpod, Acratech ballhead, 550EX, 200EG bag, Epson Pro 3800 printer.

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 09, 2009 14:36 |  #9

Andrushka wrote in post #7040492 (external link)
How big would a blimp/balloon have to be to lift 20lbs??

Looks like 2 Kaymont KCL 2000's should do it.

http://www.kaymont.com​/pages/sounding-balloons.cfm (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 09, 2009 16:52 as a reply to  @ Samgoit's post |  #10

Its really hard for anyone to make any suggestions without knowing just what you need to carry...

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 10, 2009 01:18 |  #11

argyle wrote in post #7041471 (external link)
Its really hard for anyone to make any suggestions without knowing just what you need to carry...

... see my gear list

Gear List

dicky109
698 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 10, 2009 01:46 as a reply to  @ ThisOldHag's post |  #12

What about a belt pack like the Lowepro Orion models.

I have had disks fused in my neck and various other back issues and the Orion AW works well for me, with or without the upper part backpack attachment. Of course you couldn't carry your full gear list, but I can get a body, 3 lenses and a flash, plus chargers and small extras in mine.

Good Luck

Rich B
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"--Bertrand Russell

dicktay
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 10, 2009 02:16 |  #13

That's a huge amount of gear with a lot of duplication.
You have indicated the "need to take all my gear along"
The only real solution, given your posts, is to pay somebody to help you carry it all, if you need it all the time.
Otherwise just take with you what you need for that day and leave the rest behind in your hotel etc.

I personally would rationalise what I need to take.
I am just a hobbyist and my overseas vacation gear is:

(1) Canon 5D with Canon 24-105 F4 IS L lens. This takes care of 90% of my shooting needs. On a full frame camera the 24mm works well for the wide end. The 5D has good low light performance & coupled with the IS is ok for night shots in cities etc.
(2) Canon 40D with a Canon 70-300 F4.5-5.6 IS lens. This is a backup camera and for those times I want a lens that is a bit longer.
That it except for spare batt/charger, filters, memory cards & PSD for backup. All fits it a lowepro Fastpack 200 with room to spare in the top compartment for some personal stuff. Also ok airline carry on. I don't take a tripod

If I wanted to take just a little more gear it would be a Tokina 12-24 for wider and/or a 50 F1.8 for those real low light situations and/or 580 EX flash and/or extension tubes for macros. If I was going some where there was a lot of wild life etc I would replace the 70-300 with my Canon 100-400.

What is the end use of your photographs? If it is just for personal use then maybe a good P&S camera will meet most of your needs allowing you to lighten the load.

ThisOldHag
THREAD ­ STARTER
620 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 10, 2009 02:44 |  #14

dicktay wrote in post #7044319 (external link)
That's a huge amount of gear with a lot of duplication.
You have indicated the "need to take all my gear along"
The only real solution, given your posts, is to pay somebody to help you carry it all, if you need it all the time.
Otherwise just take with you what you need for that day and leave the rest behind in your hotel etc.

I personally would rationalise what I need to take.
I am just a hobbyist and my overseas vacation gear is:

(1) Canon 5D with Canon 24-105 F4 IS L lens. This takes care of 90% of my shooting needs. On a full frame camera the 24mm works well for the wide end. The 5D has good low light performance & coupled with the IS is ok for night shots in cities etc.
(2) Canon 40D with a Canon 70-300 F4.5-5.6 IS lens. This is a backup camera and for those times I want a lens that is a bit longer.
That it except for spare batt/charger, filters, memory cards & PSD for backup. All fits it a lowepro Fastpack 200 with room to spare in the top compartment for some personal stuff. Also ok airline carry on. I don't take a tripod

If I wanted to take just a little more gear it would be a Tokina 12-24 for wider and/or a 50 F1.8 for those real low light situations and/or 580 EX flash and/or extension tubes for macros. If I was going some where there was a lot of wild life etc I would replace the 70-300 with my Canon 100-400.

What is the end use of your photographs? If it is just for personal use then maybe a good P&S camera will meet most of your needs allowing you to lighten the load.

When I visit a destination its usually to a very tight timeline. Meaning there is no room for error like bringing the wrong lens from the hotel (there's no time to go back for it) and often I go out without knowing what I will see or what lens I'll be needing. That sounds as if I'm badly organised - I promise, I'm not. I usually know exactly what I need to photograph but twice I've been caught out and found I missed a great photo because I'd left the lens I needed in my hotel room. A point-and-shoot is not an option as I'll be out on assignment.

An earlier poster suggested I go to gym, which I do 5 days a week (when I'm not travelling) and can vouch that it helps, but not enough.

Maybe I do need a sherpa, as suggested by another helpful soul. ;)

Gear List

dicktay
603 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 10, 2009 05:42 |  #15

Maybe a backpack or harness system (think Tank?) with a Domke jacket or vest (lots of huge pockets) to help distribute the weight.
(I own both)
http://photovideo.com.​au …a3203c90f4cbf37​bc68ef4ddd (external link)

sponsored links

3,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alternative to backpack
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.