Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 17 Mar 2005 (Thursday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phishing

Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 17, 2005 11:29 |  #1

I got phished for the first time. Nobody has ever tried on me before and I was suprised just how realistic the email looked. I'm posting this just incase anyone else out there isn't actually aware of what this is. Imagine this email with all the ebay graphics. It looked good. You can even click on the link and get taken to a site that looks like ebay. Of course the address you are taken to is not the one it appears from reading the link text.

But that is the important part. If your bank, paypal, ebay, whatever ever send you an unexpected email like this DO NOT click the link. Open a brower yourself and hand type in what you know to be the correct address. Then check and see if they really do need whatever information is requested.

Place or Update Credit Card on File

IMAGE: http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/aboutme/v3/ebay_logo_39x18.gif
[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Dear eBay,

We regret to inform you that your eBay account was been suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be terminated. During our regulary schedule account maintenance and verification we have detected a slight error in your billing information on file with eBay. This might be due to either following reasons:

- A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address)
- Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
- An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due an internal error within
our processors.

For the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend,indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any inf
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Your credit card on file with eBay
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Card number: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX (Not shown for security purposes)
Expiration date: 11/06
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Please sign in to your eBay account and update your billing information:
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
http://signin.ebay.com​/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&​ssPageName=h:h:sin:US (external link)

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
If your account information is not update, your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.

Thank you,
eBay Billing Department

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. eBay will never ask their users for personal information, such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers in an email. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit User Account Protection (external link).
[IMAGE TOO SMALL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
This eBay notice was sent to you based on your eBay account preferences and in accordance with our Privacy Policy (external link). To change your notification preferences, click here (external link). If you would like to receive this email in text format, click here (external link).
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Copyright © 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

Of course you can then take the time to fill out the information they want with every swear word you know.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

sponsored links
roanjohn
Goldmember
3,791 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Mar 17, 2005 11:39 |  #2

Thanks!!!

I got scammed with this b4.........from paypal though...........

Those s*n of a B*T*HES needs to be hanged or sumthin'!!!!

Ro1

www.pbase.com/roanjohn (external link)

TammieO
Goldmember
2,020 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 17, 2005 19:08 |  #3

I vote for the or sumthin'. How about thumb screws? Maybe then we stake them out on top of an ant hill?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tammie
1DMkII

Barb42
775 posts
Joined May 2003

Mar 17, 2005 19:50 |  #4

Guys, no financial institution will ever send you emails like that....always delete. If there is something important that they need, they will send a letter. You remember, snail mail. Delivered by a guy in a truck that doesn't say Fed Ex or UPS. You are lucky it didn't leave anything nasty behind - it didn't, right?

http://www.barbsmithph​otography.com (external link)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Mar 17, 2005 21:19 as a reply to  @ Barb42's post |  #5

You get another tipoff that it is a scam when you read it closely and see spelling or usage errors in the text, as we see above.

---Bob Gross---

Citizensmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 17, 2005 21:42 as a reply to  @ Barb42's post |  #6

Barb42 wrote:
Guys, no financial institution will ever send you emails like that....always delete. If there is something important that they need, they will send a letter. You remember, snail mail. Delivered by a guy in a truck that doesn't say Fed Ex or UPS. You are lucky it didn't leave anything nasty behind - it didn't, right?

XP SP2 with all the updates, Norton AntiVirus, Trojan Hunter, Spy Sweeper, Spybot, Adaware, and I'm behind a hardware firewall. Plus I use Firefox/Thunderbird instead in IE/Outlook and have thunderbird set so nothing runs. Hopefully I'm safe. :)

Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Citizensmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 17, 2005 21:44 as a reply to  @ robertwgross's post |  #7

robertwgross wrote:
You get another tipoff that it is a scam when you read it closely and see spelling or usage errors in the text, as we see above.

---Bob Gross---

yeah the fact it came from 'ebay security measurance' was kind of a red flag. Is that even a word? :)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Mar 17, 2005 22:58 as a reply to  @ Citizensmith's post |  #8

The second sentence errors were the tipoff for me.

---Bob Gross---

cjm
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 17, 2005 23:27 |  #9

Ha ha ha ha, sorry but I have to laugh about this thread, I never thought I would see this here on a camera board.

I get about 2 of these everyday, or at least I use to.

eBay if emailing you personally will ALWAYS call you by the name you provided to them. They'll never ask you to update your card through email, and they wont suspend you for not verifying your account because they don't verify accounts after they were activated and send out only once a verify your email message when you sign up or switch it to a new email address.

You can forward it with headers to spoof@ebay.com (external link) but the odds are they know about it and are unable to really do anything about it. Most of these messages come from Malaysia, Indonesia and other nations near those.

Christopher J. Martin
imagesbychristopher.co​m (external link)

Citizensmith
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 18, 2005 22:18 as a reply to  @ cjm's post |  #10

cjm wrote:
I get about 2 of these everyday, or at least I use to.

What did you do to attract that much attention?

I just wanted to post an example to warn those folks who have enver been hit. And yes I did report it to ebays security folks. The real ones, not the ones with an office in Russia.

cjm
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 19, 2005 15:47 |  #11

I use to sell 100-400 auctions per month on eBay so I got a lot of scammers email me asking me legit questions about the item. I couldn't not answer them even though the risks were there. I have since stopped selling on eBay. Here is what I wrote on my website.

I have ceased to sell on eBay due to their recent policy changes, fee hikes and the treatment of their paying customers.

When I first signed up, and began to buy/sell it was the perfect site! It had everything, good sellers with good items, good customer service, fair sellers fee's, good community values and treated their customers (the sellers) with the respect that should be given by a company to its customer.

Since then though it has turned into a place filled with bad sellers selling bad items (Stuff you'd find in a dollar store or dumpster), little to no customer service, unfair sellers fee's (They now make probably about 90-95% profit, yet still raise their fee's), no community values and now treat their paying and loyal customers with disrespect. All this in 3 short years!

In the end selling on eBay felt more like I was selling on eBay just to pay off my eBay monthly bill. The fee's became a crushing weight when factoring in the low US exchange rate, PayPal fee's (who they also own) and unfair exchange rates they charged and gave me when converting PayPal money. I believe my decision to not sell on eBay is a sound and wise one.

I would and will continue to shop on eBay but my selling days are over and I wont shop at eBay on the internet exclusively anymore. eBay was once great but it has a long way to go to get back there. Sadly I don't think they ever will go back

Christopher J. Martin
imagesbychristopher.co​m (external link)

RJSorensen
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 19, 2005 17:46 |  #12

Is not this fraud in the simplest of terms? Does not this break the law? Why is this site not shut down? The criminal intent to get your credit card numbers . . . this is something to be upset about.

I started getting these after POTN was first hacked . . . and they don't go away.

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Mar 19, 2005 18:04 as a reply to  @ RJSorensen's post |  #13

RJ, the problem with the Internet is that there isn't much law authority because jurisdiction is unclear.

If some scammer is in Russia, posting through some server in Greece, onto some web site in Chicago, then whose law is to be enforced?

That is the legal problem of the Information Age.

---Bob Gross---

RJSorensen
Goldmember
1,706 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 19, 2005 18:43 |  #14

Bloo Dog . . . they told me I was the only one to get that offer? ;)

"With Some Practice . . . I Am Able to Believe Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast!"
5D, 20D, EF 50 f/1.4, EF 16-35 L, EF-S 17-85, EF 24-70 L, EF 100-400 L, 1.4 TC II, Tubes, 550 EX, 580 EX.

sponsored links

2,309 views & 0 likes for this thread
Phishing
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.