Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jan 2009 (Monday) 12:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

XSi Focus

Gone ­ Boating
33 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 12:58 |  #1

I got a Rebel XSi for Christmas, that thus far I'm fairly happy with. I am a bit worried though, as it seems like my pictures aren't as crisp as I think they should be.

Here's a couple for example:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i25.photobucket​.com …clester426/Buff​alo012.jpg (external link)

http://i25.photobucket​.com …clester426/Buff​alo036.jpg (external link)

http://i25.photobucket​.com …clester426/Buff​alo190.jpg (external link)

All of these were at F/5.6. Focal lengths, 27mm, 37mm, and 51mm respectively. I was shooting in manual mode, mainly focusing on shutter speed. No filter on the lens. 18-55mm IS lens that came with the camera.

The first one doesn't look too bad the way it is, the other two I'm not as satisfied with. The 2nd one seems like it should appear to be more crisp. And the third, seems like the International on the tractor should be more pronounced.

Keep in mind, I'm an amateur here, but these are my first thoughts with this.

Thoughts?

Flickr (external link)
Rebel XSi, 18-55mm EF-S IS, 55-250mm EF-S IS, 50mm EF 1.8, 055XPROB/488RC2

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 12, 2009 13:00 |  #2

Have you done any PP on these shots?
Or are they Out-of-The-Camera

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 12, 2009 13:04 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

f/5.6 is the source of your problem, most likely.
It doesn't produce enough Depth of Field for everything in the frame to be sharp.
Try with f/11 and see if it gets better.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

Gone ­ Boating
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 13:11 |  #4

WaltA wrote in post #7060189 (external link)
Have you done any PP on these shots?
Or are they Out-of-The-Camera

Right out of the camera.

In my defense, this isn't my first time behind a DSLR, let alone a SLR. I've taken thousands of shots with my Pentax 35mm SLR, and have a fair amount of time with the Nikon D200. It just seems to me, that had I been using the Nikon (not my camera), the pictures would've come out a lot better.

I understand that PP is necessary in some cases, but I don't feel I should have to go and adjust every shot, to get it to the point where I'm completely satisfied with it.

Flickr (external link)

Sam|McGuire
865 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 13:14 |  #5

Can you post some 100% crops? These look fine to me, especially for the 18-55mm IS lens. What was your shutter speed?

Canon 5DII| 35L | 16-35LII |24-70L |70-200 F/2.8 IS LII | Alien Bees | CPS Member
Flickr  (external link)
www.moralfibers.co (external link)

Subfightersandman
492 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 13:16 |  #6

i agree i think f5.6 is the culprit especially since u are shooting at what seems to be a good distance this will increase the effects

40D, 70D
Tamron 17-50 F 2.8 VC
Canon EF 70-200 F4 L
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Godox 860C x2
www.roshanakhan.com (external link)

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 12, 2009 13:19 |  #7

yup, on a dSLR with it's bigger sensor, you have to learn about depth of field. Its not an issue with a P&S.

Also, it doesnt make you more manly to shoot in manual. Get back on Av - choose a reasonable ISO, choose your f stop, and let the cam pick a SS. You think somehow you are better at this than the computer in the cam?

Post processing - learn it. Especially the USM. Also, 'sharpness' is about scaling for your output. To make an image sharp on your screen, scale it to 1200W or 1000 tall and then sharpen it. Screen sharp and print sharp are two different things.

There's nothing wrong with your camera or lens. Snow is really hard to nail. The way your cam takes pictures is that it tries to average out the exposure to 'light gray' - Snow 'messes with its head'. You end up with gray snow (or at the beach, sand).

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

jbarber
59 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 12, 2009 13:19 as a reply to  @ Gone Boating's post |  #8

Stop down to f8 and try. If you are shooting jpeg try standard with sharpness of 7 and add +1 to contrast. That will sharpen things up. If you are shooting raw then you will have to post precess. Yes, the XSI has a soft default but the detail is there.

James

Gone ­ Boating
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 13:22 |  #9

elader wrote in post #7060318 (external link)
Also, it doesnt make you more manly to shoot in manual. Get back on Av - choose a reasonable ISO, choose your f stop, and let the cam pick a SS. You think somehow you are better at this than the computer in the cam?

I never said I thought I was better than the camera. Everybody has to learn sometime, and thats exactly what I'm trying to do at this point. Rookie mistakes I made? Sure, again, I'm still trying to learn the camera at this point.

Flickr (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2009 13:24 |  #10

Nothing that a touch of sharpening cannot fix. Remember that digital cameras do soften the image and will always require some attention. It's the same when scanning in slides or negs, they need the same attention.

This can be done "in camera" if you shoot jpegs, or in post processing.

And it's the same with Nikons, its a feature of digital, not make or model.

And your images have got me worried, I've got two bookings (5 days each) teaching sailing next month. I do not want that weather thanks very much.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Gone ­ Boating
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 12, 2009 13:42 |  #11

Lowner wrote in post #7060351 (external link)
And your images have got me worried, I've got two bookings (5 days each) teaching sailing next month. I do not want that weather thanks very much.

:lol:
Believe me, I'd much rather have that stuff be in liquid form, so I could be out boating on it!

Flickr (external link)

KnowImagination
159 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 12, 2009 14:35 |  #12

Gone Boating wrote in post #7060344 (external link)
I never said I thought I was better than the camera. Everybody has to learn sometime, and thats exactly what I'm trying to do at this point. Rookie mistakes I made? Sure, again, I'm still trying to learn the camera at this point.

Don't worry you actually are smarter than the computer in the camera. From all the research I have done it will get you a technically correct exposure, but it is not anything you couldn't accomplish shooting in manual mode.

I agree with the people who said to change your f stop. I would try f11 on those shots to get everything a little sharper.

Canon Rebel XSi w/ kit lens, 55-250mm EF IS, 50 1.8, and 430ex
Know Imagination - my blog (external link)

elader
Goldmember
2,374 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 14, 2009 08:02 |  #13

Gone Boating wrote in post #7060344 (external link)

Ah, that's not really what i meant. I wasn't implying anything. What I was getting at is that sometimes it pays to just eliminate one variable. In this case however, you picked subjects (snow and sun) that are very hard for either the camera or the operator to expose correctly so it looks 'right' -

Eric
FJR1300 rider
5D mkIII and 1D MkIII

16-35L | 24-105L | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 85 f/1.8 / 50 f.1,4

gnirtS
232 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 14, 2009 09:01 |  #14

F/8-F/11 and try again. Also, the first photo in particular is underexposed due to the snow (common issue), you need to dial in a stop or so of exposure compensation or if in manual just reduce the shutter speed to bring it up (and check histogram). Also what were you focusing on for those shots? It makes a huge difference. Try to focus 1/3 of the way into the scene or better yet, look up hyperfocal distance.

Was it RAW or JPG? If its RAW they all need some sharpening in software after download. If its JPG you can increase the in camera sharpening by altering the picture style but before that i'd suggest trying f/8 to f/11.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/whitcomberd/ (external link)
http://www.hvsac.co.uk (external link)

R1200GS
450 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 14, 2009 12:24 |  #15

Gone Boating wrote in post #7060476 (external link)
:lol:
Believe me, I'd much rather have that stuff be in liquid form, so I could be out boating on it!

Ha, I rather ride in it. That's me coming home from work.

http://i39.photobucket​.com …c123/R1200GS/IM​G_0544.jpg (external link)

BTW I also agree with most here. F8 or F11 and some sharpening will get you there.

"No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai

sponsored links

1,775 views & 0 likes for this thread
XSi Focus
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.