Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 23:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sunrise Critique

iacas
261 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 14, 2009 23:14 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 401 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

This photo was posted on my photoblog today at this address (external link) (if you want to see it in context or anything).

My photoblog allows people to rate the image from 1 to 5, and for awhile, this image had a rating of 3.4 (it's currently 4.2), which was surprising to me because I rather like the shot. I'm not saying it's the bee's knees or anything, but 3.4 seemed low.

I wasn't dismayed - part of the reason I allow people to rate images is to see how things shake out - curiosity, really. With this low rating I was really was curious. I wish the people who had rated it 2 or 3 would have left comments that told me what they didn't like about the image.

So, what the hey, I'll ask here: what don't you like about the image? Feel free to list what you do like, too, but frankly I'm more interested in what you don't like.

Erik J. Barzeski
[nslog.com (external link)], [erik.photoblog (external link)] - Please Visit and Vote
Gear: Canon 5D & 5DII with: 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 24-70/2.8L | 70-200/2.8L IS | 300/2.8L IS | EF 1.4x TC - Gitzo GM-5540, Gitzo 2530EX, RRS BH-55 LR, B2-Pro II [All Gear Listed at my Blog (external link)]

sponsored links
jayspec
132 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 14, 2009 23:24 |  #2

It's boring. The sky is featureless and takes up a huge percentage of the frame. The items breaking through the water are placed in the compositionally "correct" place, but they're not identifiable. There is sensor dust on the left and right sides of the sky.

I am not my gear. I hate the word "bokeh." Photography is an art: BE AN ARTIST!

SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2009 04:52 |  #3

I have to agree with jayspec here. Although the colors are nice it lacks an interesting subject. There seem to be things on the horizon but they are indistinct and the two posts sticking out of the water just don't do much for the imagination. Maybe do a little cloning and make one look like a periscope looking at the camera.

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 15, 2009 05:24 |  #4

I think the rating says less about your image and more about the people looking at it. Some might not like the subject matter--regardless of how well you captured it. On the other hand, some would probably like a print of it framed on their wall.
Myself? I like the opposing elements: the movement of the water vs. the kind of strength and immovability suggested by those 2 vertical objects. The intensity of the color bothers me--but again, that's a peculiarity of my eyeballs and upper cognitive structures, and not really about your photo.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Metalstrm
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 15, 2009 06:25 |  #5

I think the worst thing about your photo is its subject matter. What is this about? What are those two things poking out? How do they add to your photograph? Having said that I really love the colors. Well done on that part.

Kristian D'Amato

http://www.krisdamato.​com (external link) - just my flickr at the moment.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,469 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 15, 2009 09:29 |  #6

The colors are striking. As somebody else said, it would make a nice wall-hanging. But you'd have to get rid of those two stumps of pilings, the bird in the mid-distance and the stuff on the horizon. That's if you wanted it for the colors. Otherwise, a sunrise as a subject is boring. There's one every day (not counting the poles). They are compelling images in 99% of the cases only for how they enhance the subject in the foreground. Those two stumps don't count as subjects, so there isn't a subject.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 15, 2009 12:30 |  #7

I think you have to take the rating in context...

I just got my xt and kit lens and snapped this...well then it's 5+

I got $10,000 worth of equipment...Well you arn't gonna get extra points for good choice of settings that is kinda expected at this point. So now were looking at content as well as execution. It's a nice shot executed nicley & it's pretty. But it's not way up there on the compelling image list.

I do this proffesionally and shoot for National geograpic scale...trash bin, or maybe 1 star but certianly not much above that.

I think the rating reflects fairly... Above average sunrise but room for improvment particularrily in the does it tell a story catagory.

I would be proud of as should you...But expecting a perfect rating may be a lofty aspiration.

What are those things on the horizon, trees, ships, oilrigs?

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

iacas
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 15, 2009 13:00 |  #8

neumanns wrote in post #7083124 (external link)

Just clouds. They're awfully tough to see at this size.

And to all: perhaps I'll respond to your comments later, but for now I'm keeping mum since I'm... uhm... the comments have been somewhat valuable, let's put it that way, thus far. Maybe not the way I thought they might be, but valuable nonetheless.

Erik J. Barzeski
[nslog.com (external link)], [erik.photoblog (external link)] - Please Visit and Vote
Gear: Canon 5D & 5DII with: 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 24-70/2.8L | 70-200/2.8L IS | 300/2.8L IS | EF 1.4x TC - Gitzo GM-5540, Gitzo 2530EX, RRS BH-55 LR, B2-Pro II [All Gear Listed at my Blog (external link)]

Jeff5544
54 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 15, 2009 16:13 |  #9

I like it but I think had you submitted this photo as an abstract (rather than a sunset) you might have received different comments.

Canon Camera's : Manfrotto Legs
flickr http://www.flickr.com/​photos/toothman/sets/ (external link)

mrpeabody
27 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 15, 2009 16:49 |  #10

I really enjoy the colors but agree that it is hard to determine what the subject of the image is.

Phil Ginn
www.OurPhotographicJou​rneys.com (external link)

dtrotter
237 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jan 15, 2009 23:31 |  #11

People really like different things. I absolutely love your photo--the simplicity, the movement broken with the posts---to me, identifying those posts is not important.

Just my opinion, but I would like to see more of the sky removed so the focus is really on the movement which is what I see as the subject.

Seriously, I just love it.

Diane

dkord
715 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 16, 2009 02:23 |  #12

neumanns wrote in post #7083124 (external link)
I think you have to take the rating in context...

I just got my xt and kit lens and snapped this...well then it's 5+

I got $10,000 worth of equipment...Well you arn't gonna get extra points for good choice of settings that is kinda expected at this point. So now were looking at content as well as execution. It's a nice shot executed nicley & it's pretty. But it's not way up there on the compelling image list.

I do this proffesionally and shoot for National geograpic scale...trash bin, or maybe 1 star but certianly not much above that.

I think the rating reflects fairly... Above average sunrise but room for improvment particularrily in the does it tell a story catagory.

I would be proud of as should you...But expecting a perfect rating may be a lofty aspiration.

I'm sorry but to me a bad photo is a bad photo no matter who or what kinda of gear took it.

ot- why is it that when a bad photo comes up, someone always calls it an abstract or suggest a bw conversion?

The devil is in the details...Especially at 100% crop!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/eosdawg/ (external link)

neumanns
Goldmember
1,465 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 16, 2009 07:36 |  #13

dkord...I can tell you don't have kids. You would be appaled at some of the "artwork" that's hanging on my fridge.

I would feel bad throwing it all out just because there not rembrandt... I find it easier to take there skill's into account.

I know....Your gonna say well kids are diffrent.

I eat a several times a day. Not all the meals are prepared by a five star chef, But many of them are still what I consider good. But they would never hold up to a direct comparison. But not bad "CONSIDERING"....

Why is photography diffrent...

7D, Sigma 8-16, 17-55, 70-200 2.8 IS, 580ExII, ........Searching for Talent & Skill; Will settle for Blind Luck!

iacas
THREAD ­ STARTER
261 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 16, 2009 08:17 |  #14

neumanns wrote in post #7088737 (external link)
Why is photography diffrent...

I don't know, but that's not really the topic here, and as the OP I'd appreciate it if we could stick to it.

Erik J. Barzeski

sponsored links

3,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sunrise Critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.