Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

new here - new camera - did I miss anything?

anothernewb
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 15, 2009 16:21 |  #1

Hi to all.
Literally completely new to photography in general. Believe it or not I made it almost 30 years without ever owning a camera. Bought my first one a while back - Canon A610. Was astounded by the pictures it took right out of the box. Unfortunately - it took a recent drop off a counter and was destroyed. tried several new compacts and was totally disappointed at their performance. - so after sitting on the fence long enough for the grass to completely cover me - I finally dropped (maybe just plain fell)over to the slr side.

pulled the trigger last night - and did my part to keep the economy (and amazon.com) going - here's my loadout:

rebel xs kit
55-250 IS lens
50mm 1.8 lens
xtra batt
speedlite 430EX
hoya uv filter

I also signed up for a local beginner class for learning how to use an slr

my first main goal (other than how to learn to use the silly thing) is to learn some indoor/outdoor portrait skills. (I am going to need them later this fall - but that's another long story)

I wrestled with the xs/xsi quite a bit - eventually the almighty dollar made the call for me.

now the question is how deep into this am I? and am I missing anything essential with this setup? I don't intend to go beyond casual shots - really just basically trying to duplicate what the 610 could, with better indoor shots of the family and some better low light stuff. Can anyone recommend any online sites/books/guides that will assist me. I plan to shoot the crap out of the camera this spring - but it appears that just shooting away blindly with an slr doesn't exactly work the same way a P&S will

thanks.
PS - there's another 610 also on it's way to me courtesy of ebay.

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

sponsored links
bokchoi
167 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 15, 2009 16:42 |  #2

I don't think you missed anything critical except for possibly a tripod; the gear you picked up should be more than enough to keep you shooting for a while before you start finding the need for more equipment. The photo course you signed up for is a great idea, too.

There's no getting around it, you'll be able to do more with the SLR than you could with the P&S, but you may also be disappointed with your results until you get a good feel for the settings and how to use your new SLR to its potential; you are correct in that shooting blindly with an SLR often doesn't work and won't yield the same expected results you would get from a P&S.

You seem to have a good grasp of what you'll need to do to get started and cover all your bases, so my only suggestion would be to start studying pictures that you like and reading EXIF data off of them so you can see how you might recreate similar situations.

Happy shooting!

canonxtip
257 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 15, 2009 16:46 |  #3

Welcome to the forum! :)

Well, that's a great kit you have there. I have been very happy with XS + 50/1.8. It's so light and sharp even though I have tried many L glasses before. The 18-55 IS lens is a bargain as well.

Good luck & happy shooting!

Brian
D60 + 35/1.8 + Poor Vision | Picasaweb (external link)| Yankees (external link)| Knicks (external link)| Jets (external link)| Rangers (external link)

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,867 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 15, 2009 23:22 |  #4

I also think you will need something a bit wider than the 50 mm, the 18-55 Is should do just fine, for now ;)

Panasonic Lumix G9 and some lenses
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

keener
537 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 15, 2009 23:56 |  #5

Great starter kit, but I agree with the above, you'll find that 50mm isn't always wide enough to take indoor photos especially full body or groups. It is great for head and shoulder shots though. The 18-55IS would be a great compliment to your kit.

Gear List | flickr (external link)

borealis
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 16, 2009 00:43 |  #6

Welcome! And congrats, you've already made two great decisions:

1.) "I also signed up for a local beginner class for learning how to use an slr"
2.) "I plan to shoot the crap out of the camera this spring" (But why wait till spring!!)

Words to warm the heart. Gear comes and gear goes, there is nothing more important than learning the basics, taking pictures- and staying astounded.

(That said, as the other posters mentioned, you'll probably end up wanting something a little wider and a tripod!)

"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas." - Godard
... go play...

anothernewb
THREAD ­ STARTER
361 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 16, 2009 11:50 |  #7

Thanks for the replies. I believe the xs kit I ordered comes with the 18-55 so I should be covered for now. A friend of mine has a 40d and is getting rid of her 28-135 lens that came with it. I will have to play with that one for awhile and see how it does as well. The tripod and a good bag is also on the list for after tax time. with regards to a larger lens for portrait work - is the next logical step a 35mm or so prime?

Gripped 80D,10-18 STM, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 10-400 II, 430 EX II

steed77
75 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 16, 2009 12:32 as a reply to  @ anothernewb's post |  #8

Looks like a solid start. You will have a blast!

I want to also give you Props for the class!! There is also a good book "understanding exposure" Look it up on Amazon, great read until the class.

Good luck and post some pics

Since joining this place:50D - 35L - 70-200 IS 2.8L - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 60 macro - Tam 28-75 - EF 1.4X II - BG-E2N Grip -580EX II- -EF d - Hoya /Manfrotto 055XPROB - 488RC2 Head - 7MDH - AW200

ssracer
Goldmember
1,855 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 16, 2009 12:38 |  #9

Welcome. You have almost the exact same gear as I do...lol.

So far for hobby shooting and learning, this seems like a good (and relatively inexpensive) set up to start out with.

- Sean
my gear
my flickr (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 16, 2009 13:16 |  #10

anothernewb wrote in post #7084641 (external link)
Hi to all.
Can anyone recommend any online sites/books/guides that will assist me.

Yes. I agree with Steed77. "Understanding Exposure" is excellent. I invested in that book, and after reading it all the lights came on.

When I got my first DSLR 2 years ago I had no idea that I would have taken 50,000 pics (approx.) by now.

Take lots of pictures in all kinds of situations. Practice, practice, & practice some more. You will probably have to buy a 500 GB external hard drive (they are cheap now)

I see you have the canon's 50mm f1.8 lens. They are great for taking pics indoors without flash in most situations. You will like it. Understanding exposure will tell you how to get those indoor no flash shots.

Have fun with your new toy, and one warning, IT IS ADDICTING.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 16, 2009 13:46 |  #11

Sorry for the semantics, but how can one be 'literally' new when they are in fact, not new?

I guess I'm just wondering when the term 'literally', stopped meaning, well, 'literally'.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 16, 2009 13:54 |  #12

mrkgoo wrote in post #7090771 (external link)
Sorry for the semantics, but how can one be 'literally' new when they are in fact, not new?

I guess I'm just wondering when the term 'literally', stopped meaning, well, 'literally'.

On the InterWebs, "literally" is just a virtual term:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Space
935 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 16, 2009 14:08 |  #13

Beware...this place is habit forming.

Common Sense...Isn't

30D ll 5D ll 24-70mm f/2.8L ll 70-200mm f/4L ll 200mm II f/2.8L ll EF 1.4 II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 16, 2009 14:14 |  #14

Hey Space,

Just to let you know, in your sig your clever saying would have more meaning if you spelled the key word properly:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

canons900
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 16, 2009 15:10 |  #15

Buy "Understanding Exposure? I believe it was written by Peterson. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the author's name.

Excellent book, written nicely and not a long read.

Oh yeah, put the camera on M and shoot. Shoot. Shoot and shoot some more.

sponsored links

1,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
new here - new camera - did I miss anything?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.